1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It was on TV: I watched it in the kitchen so it must have been a free to air channel too.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Oh.....couldn't find it on any listings.....plenty 2018 qualifiers and the Lions rugby of course.....it wasn't Eurosport 2 that you were watching then ?

3. notDistantGreen

It was on BBC - now on iPlayer.

Interesting that the ref used video replay to check a decision. First time I've seen that. Won't tell you what for as it would spoil the game if you watch it!

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't think it could have been advertised then because if it had been I'm sure on one of my several trawls through the channels I would have found it.

I see the latest thing is they are saying a thank you to the EFL for allowing these types of players into the checkatrade trophy comp. Without that they say they wouldn't have won the competition. Hmmmmm. I think that might be a tad overstating things. I won't be watching on playback anytime now as I know the result and even that there was a penalty save so not much point.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The first round draw for the Carabao Cup (used to be EFL Cup etc) will be done on Friday in Bangkok, Thailand.

Now who thought that that would be a nice little jolly for someone .......<ale><ale><ale>...:emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer::emoticon-0167-beer:...:emoticon-0168-drink:emoticon-0168-drink:emoticon-0168-drink...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...<whistle><whistle><whistle>.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  6. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

It wont be the sun and booze they are going for.. all those dirty old pervs on the FL Committee.. they wont know if its a man or woman or i doubt they will care.. we are paying for that ..:emoticon-0146-punch

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You sound far too knowledgeable about this subject Joe for it to be healthy.........:eek:

Anyone watch the France v England game tonight? Thought England were terrible. They played 45 minutes against 10 men and you would have thought the French in comparison had 15. Couple of reasonable performances but that's about it. Static and tired looking and the French deserved their win.

One thing I did note though was the Referee. I thought he was a right homer for most of the decisions he gave even though he did give a penalty to England and send a french player off. I actually think somebody had a word in his ear for both of those decisions. He would do well in league 2.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I was beginning to believe that I had got it wrong that France had gone down to 10 men....one minute into the second half....no sign of it helping us at all.....they just looked as if it was one game to many and just wanted to be on the beach.

I thought Trippier played well for his first game.....but at times Dier just seems to turn off and cocks it all up....good when he's playing well....but a liability at other times.

Just one more defeat for Theresa May to witness.

9. Greenarmyjoe

Sensible, they will also indulge in a soapy bath :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl::eek:

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Shocking. I'm far too young to know about such things.............:emoticon-0172-mooni

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Remember this post a while back with me doing a toot about the Border people. Well what I didn't say was they treated my other half quite badly that day. They took her passport off her and went away with it to god knows where and after about 10 minutes of her just stood there somebody asked her if she was being dealt with. She told this person that another officer had taken her passport and they then went off to find the one dealing with her. They then came back and just handed her the passport without any word of explanation and told her "everything is ok you can go". She made a complaint to them via their website as there was a bit more to it than I describe above and we got a reply today . Guess what.......they could not substantiate the complaint because they couldn't identify the officer concerned from our description and none of them could remember us that day. The "officer" was female with blonde hair and pony tail around mid 30's. There were 2 female officers on at that time. One was shortish with black hair and the other was blonde about mid 30's. Hmmmmm!!! let me see now what part of the description couldn't they understand I wonder. Basically all we got was a lecture on why the Border people stop people entering the UK and an offer that if not satisfied with the reply you could fill in yet another online form and start again. I absolutely believe they didn't bother to even look into the complaint at all. And these arrogant arseholes wonder why people get stroppy with them.

12. notDistantGreen

That's nothing, the French lot at Coquelles pointed a gun at me once......

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Understandable....:D.

14. Greenarmyjoe

Steady plym... some one may report you for using those words.. :oops::oops:

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Your probably right Joe.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

On balance think that was wise even if it takes a lot more than that to offend me.

It just gets to me how what is called a public servant can be such an arsehole and think they can treat people how they like. Civility costs nothing and there are ways to conduct yourself which a number of those at our borders should learn. I've realised it is a complete waste of time trying to tell them this.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Watching "Question Time" on BBC 1 with David Dimbleby.....its in Plymouth next week so how about someone going along and standing up for Plymouth and the West Country......decent transportation links, jobs, airport, Premiership football etc, etc.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Tut tut............where are all the keyboard warriors when you need one. There are plenty on some of these sites who have enough to say about what isn't right in Plymouth.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Friday 16th...Daily Telegraph.

Up to 250,000 people drop off the radar and end up as illegal immigrants every year, according to secret Home Office figures, amid warnings that border controls are completely ineffective and will only get worse after Brexit.
    David Wood, who was head of immigration enforcement at the Home Office until 2015, said more than 1.2 million illegal immigrants were living in Britain, predominantly after overstaying their visas.
    People are not aware of the scale of the problem because official figures are not published, and Home Office estimates for illegal immigrants are kept secret by ministers because they are "embarrassing", according to experts.
    In a highly critical paper for Civitas, written with Alasdair Palmers, a former Home Office speechwriter, Mr Wood said the Home Office had privately estimated between 150,000 and 250,000 foreign nationals fail to return to their home country when they should.
    They include people who come to the UK illegally, those refused asylum (around 26,000 last year) and students and others who overstay visas.
    However, the true numbers are not recorded officially because the Government's new e-borders system does not share data with the Office for National Statistics and others, leading to inaccurate figures that are no better than "guesses", they said. Mr Wood and Mr Palmer added: "It is understandable that the Home Office should have kept those estimates to itself: they are politically extremely embarrassing.

My passport ran out last year, I will not risk renewing it.....joking aside it is completely unbelievable the state of our border controls, it amazes me sensible how they had time to bother with Mrs sensible at all....who was an easy yes... let her enter....and then for the person making the query not to come back...but someone else does it.....last time we went to Greece their ex-ray equipment discovered a very small pair of folding nail scissors in our hand luggage and confiscated them....looking into the container that they were thrown into...I thought what a nice little side line they've got going here.....there were hundreds of trivial "weapons" there....all from package holidaymakers....ok should have gone in main case....they were damn expensive scissors that folded up in an ingenious way, highway robbery personally.

Yet a terrorist the other year had no trouble getting on a flight with a "bomb" in the heel of his shoe and only because he was seen suspiciously playing with his heel did he draw attention to himself.

Being an island should make it easier for us to control our borders.....seeing airports and seaports are the easy entrances to control....ok Coastguards have an awkward job to observe are coasts....but must be easier than trying to control land borders....although hundreds of mile of barbed wire fencing is being tried in parts of the EU at the moment.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  20. notDistantGreen

Politicians will always spend money where there are votes to be bought I'm afraid.

The last election went back to a 2 party model, with the fringe players (UKIP and the nationalists) losing votes to the Conservatives and to Labour, with the latter also picking up most of an influx of young voters. The latter will follow the usual path as brain begins to overpower heart and they'll be Tory voters in 15 years time. However, that leaves most of the the West Country as a Conservative/Lib Dem battleground, so we aren't likely to see much cash from either of the 2 main parties.