1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our World Today

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

I agree with that also, we are now getting a country of DORK"S.. or have got . all they want is Phones and Food.. look at the state of some people now.. The benefits they receive keep them wealthy... they dont go with out for being out of work ..do they..

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

"Dorks".......isn't that the nasty people in lord of the rings?

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We're trying to get them born now with special I-phone clip ons on their left hand.....and built in navigation so they can walk down crowded pavements without maiming people.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Dorks are supporters of Dorking.....obvious ain't it.....<whistle>:D

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Isn't that what they do in darkened car parks at night?:emoticon-0130-devil

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

What....support Dorking....:rolleyes:

PS.....A Dork is.....someone with silly interests and looks silly at times....in fact an ARGYLE SUPPORTER.....<yikes>

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....The Government's austerity policy descended into chaos yesterday as Downing Street suggested it was ready to abandon a 1% cap on public sector pay rises, only to insist hours later that the cap remains in place.
    The "U-turn on a U-turn" was blamed on the ongoing "war" between Theresa May and Philip Hammond, after the Treasury reportedly demanded a retraction of the announcement. It led to speculation that the Chancellor had been intending to claim credit for the policy change at his next budget.

2.....Michael Bond, the creator of Paddington Bear, has died at home at the age of 91, following a short illness.
    Bond, who published his first book, " A bear called Paddington", in 1958, went on to write more than 200 books for children. More than 35 million Paddington books have been sold around the world to date. Along with Paddington himself, Bond's best-loved creations included,...Olga da Polga and ....A Mouse Called Thursday.

3.....Retired Court of Appeal judge Sir Martin Moore-Bick has been appointed to lead the public inquiry into the Grenfell Tower disaster.
    Sir Martin, a former QC and Lord Justice of Appeal, will be leading the inquiry after he was recommended to Number 10 by Lord Thomas of Cwmgiedd, the Lord Chief Justice, The Daily Telegraph can confirm.

4.....The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry will rededicate their mother's grave on what would have been her birthday this Saturday after accusations that it had been neglected.

5.....For 28 years it has been the names and faces of the 96 victims of the Hillsborough tragedy that have dominated coverage of the event.
    But now after a public inquiry, a failed private prosecution, two sets of inquests and a marathon campaign for justice, the identities of six people allegedly responsible for the disaster and its aftermath can finally be revealed.

6.....A radical cleric living in the West Midlands has been accused of using Youtube to recruit for an Isil terrorist cell based in Spain.
    Tarik Chadlioui, 43, was arrested early yesterday in the Sparkhill area of Birmingham as police in Spain said that they had seized four of his alleged associates in Majorca. A 28 year old Spanish man was arrested in Dortmund, Spanish aurhorities claim Chadlioui was a "well-known" radical cleric who recruited fighters for Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) and acted as the cell's "spiritual leader".

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....Theresa May's fragile grip on power was exposed yesterday as she was forced to agree to demands from a backbench Labour MP for a change in abortion laws to head off a historic defeat in the House of Commons.
    The Prime Minister's concession followed mounting pressure from MP's and a proposed amendment to the Queens Speech calling for the Government to pay for women from Northern Ireland who are forced to travel to England to have an abortion.
    MP's said the Government's rapid capitulation was a sign of things to come, with ministers set to agree deals to avoid damaging Commons defeats because of their reliance on support from the DUP. The last time an amendment was passed after an MP's division was in 1924.

2.....George Osborne has picked up his sixth job since leaving politics, with an unpaid appointment as honorary professor of economics at the University of Manchester.
    The former chancellor is chairman of the Northern Powerhouse, Editor of the London Evening Standard, makes speeches for the McCain Institution and Washington Speakers Bureau, and is said to earn £650.000 a year working for fund management firm BlackRock.
    One university colleague told the Financial Times that Mr Osbourne woud "relish" teaching austerity to "angry young Corbynistas".

My thoughts......never been much noticeable austerity in Osborne's life.

3.....A women who was stabbed by her stalker despite reporting him to police 125 times has rejected an apology from the force that let her down.
    Helen Pearson, 34, repeatedly begged police to stop her neighbour, Joseph Willis from harassing her over a five year period.
    She endured threats to kill and had graffiti daubed on her home including the phrase "Die Helen Die".
    The campaign of terror culminated in 2013 when Willis stabbed her in the face and neck in an Exeter graveyard. The 50 year old was convicted of attempted murder and jailed for life in 2014.
    Devon and Cornwall police yesterday apologised to Ms Pearson after completing an internal review into the force's failings during the case. But the force refused to publish the findings and Ms Pearson dismissed the apology as "meaningless".

4.....Almost one in ten people living in the UK last year was a foreign citizen and the number has almost doubled in the past decade.
    A study by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development found that the number of people not born in Britain rose by 6.4 % to 5.95 million between 2015 and 2016.
    It means that 9.2 % of the population were non-citizens in 2015, almost double the 5% who lived in the UK in 2005. The respected OECD International Migration Outlook studied flows of people around the world including their employment status, integration polices and welfare.

5.....The Russian military has responded to British mockery of its aircraft carrier by calling the Royal Navy's new flagship a "large, convenient target".
    Moscow pointed to the Admiral Kuznetsov's array of missiles and warned HMS Queen Elizabeth to keep its distance from Russian warships.
    The clash over naval pride flared after the Defence Secretary this week said Russia would envy HMS Queen Elizabeth because its own carrier was so old and dilapidated. Stung by the remark, the Russian defence ministry yesterday derided Sir Michael Fallon and the UK's £3.1 Billion warship.

6.....A mayor has complained that her prosperous Devon town has become a magnet for "begging tourists" who are making £35,000 a year.
    Rosie Adams. the mayor of Totnes, said that "people are coming from other places" to beg.
    "I hate to say it but we have begging tourists," she explained, "They're coming in from other places and spoiling it for local people".
    "There is no need in Totnes for anyone to go hungry. they should not feel in any way scared. It's obviously an ideal place for beggars to come to".
    Police have confirmed that aggressive beggars have been harassing passers-by in the town.

My thoughts......sensible.....stop doing it....<whistle>....:D.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

My Brexit views are well known....may I share this with you.... I just happened to be drawn to this article in todays Daily Express (30th June).

Theresa May was urged last night to stand up to Brussels after the bloc's leaders said the European Court of Justice (ECJ) should retain power over Britain.

In negotiating papers, the European Commission suggests the court should keep control over several policy areas after Brexit, and should even be able to fine Britain.

Richard Tice, the co-chairman of Leave Means Leave, said the move showed the importance of a swift, clean break with Brussels, adding : " As soon as Britain leaves, we are no longer subject to the meddling ECJ".

Mrs May discussed Brexit in Berlin yesterday with German chancellor Angela Merkel. Downing Street said they welcomed last week's "constructive" start to formal EU-UK talks.

In Paris, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development reversed its dire warnings last year to British voters that Brexit would have "substantial negative consequences".

My comment.....what part of leaving doesn't the EC understand?

10. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Thank you Plym for your updates and comments.
    Keeps me in touch.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You mean plym's party political broadcast on behalf of the labour party. He's becoming more like Rupert Murdock every day.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Please sensible don't link me to the Labour Party or the Tories or the LibDems or the Greens...none of them have anything to offer in this day and age.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Oh come on plym, you have stated often enough you always voted Labour with maybe the exception for UKIP perhaps just once. The reference to Rupert was just a pointer towards a tendancy for biased reporting. You imply everything is the Tories fault with almost every post on this thread. You may not directly state it but it is underlying. I do agree however that none of the current mob have much to offer anyone these days. I have to say that for probably the first time ever, and I have voted in the past for all 3 main parties, that I was stuck for who to vote for right up to the point of actually marking my X. There is nobody who gives much confidence around.

I was listening to the Beeb news this afternoon on their news channel and they were of course going on and on about the fire. They came out with this startling headline that they had seen papers that indicated the local council were looking for savings when the cladding was being decided and the cladding was changed. Now nothing wrong with that bit of reporting but it was what they were implying with the news. The implication was that both the Tory Government and local council were responsible for the deaths because of bean counting. That is misrepresentation of the facts we know so far. From what I've seen and heard the problem in this block is the creation of the chimney effect and not necessarily the use of the cheaper cladding. No mention of what started the fire hardly which I believe was an electrical gadget. Why not speculate that the machine was second hand and not properly checked H & S wise? They don't know if it was or wasn't but it is as good an explanation with as much credibility as their current story. What ever happened to reporting the facts without prejudice? They are out to create a problem and are doing a good job. The people of plymouth are apparently not happy with the schedule for removing and changing the cladding on their blocks or so the news reports. This is of course a couple of interviews they have done with only a small amount of Residents. Lets think of a question they can ask one of them shall we. "The Landlords have said they are planning to start the removal and replacement of cladding in your blocks in November. Would you prefer it if they started right away rather than have a delay". Now you don't hear any question being asked you just hear an answer which of course is "I think they should do the repairs right away" is the normal answer anyone would give to that question. This implies the delay is risking everyone's life and could cause another disaster. The truth is no it probably won't but that doesn't make much of a story does it. The outcome of this event is dreadful but the news people are making capital out of it rather than reporting proper balanced facts. They can't wait for heads to roll and if they can assist in the making then so much the better. I'm getting fed up of listening to it all now.

14. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Thanks sensible,saved me a lot of typing. How anyone thinks it is acceptable to make a political point about such a tragedy is beyond me. Accidents happen and 99% of people have lived/worked/frequented buildings with this sort of cladding for years. Why do we always have to blame someone. IF the cladding met the building standards in place at the time then actually no one is to blame- councils/CEOs/ owners will always pay the minimum required to comply with the standards in place at the time of building.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sensible......you've got it wrong......I've never voted Labour......my voting has always been for the best placed opposition to the Conservative MP.....I've always lived in strong Tory held seats.....which means I've voted Lib/Dem around here.....in 2015 I voted UKIP....amazingly they came second to Jo Johnson......Lib/Dems were being punished for supporting Cameron.

All the articles on this thread that I have included have come from strong right wing newspapers.

16. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Like a lot of things in politics at present, the aftermath of Grenfell Tower is running out of control.

Yes, savings were made by changing the cladding - who'd want a council to spent £300k of our money unnecessarily? To suggest though that that was done in the knowledge of a fire risk is nonsense. I was disgusted by the behaviour over the past 24 hours of the Labour leader within the local council, who's blatantly making political capital out of a tragedy.

The fact there are many tower blocks in the UK with the same cladding shows that the problem is in the building regs and therefore central government are largely to blame going back over a long period spanning governments of both parties. In fact, I believe the first recommendation regarding cladding, and which were ignored, were made to Tony Blair's government.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Who decided that the cladding eventually used and the zinc cladding that was originally on the spec had the same fireproof cover......with the same fire spec value who wouldn't go for the cheaper one....saving £293,000 by doing so.....we need to sort out how things are tested for safety and of course under similar test conditions.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Ok plym I accept the voting thing might be wrong but the implying everything that tories do or think is bollox and detrimental to living is not wrong. You do it all the time and at every turn.

I actually don't accept that the cladding is dangerous in these tower blocks. Apparently there have been loads of fires in tower blocks in individual flats where the entire block has not burst into flames. Everything so far points to the block design in this case which created the inferno effect. Once again today the news is still full of this and now I note the activist types have surfaced in their floods. Everyone who can and their dog is trying to make capital out of this now and the media is just helping it along. I repeat my previous point the media are deliberately stoking this now to make their own news.

lyndhurstgreen likes this.
  19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

All media in my mind has an agenda......if you read the Daily Mirror all your life....your outlook on life will be slanted towards their view of life and what they want you to believe......the same can be said of the Daily Mail....which personally can be quite extreme......the majority of papers are right wing.

Most of my early life was the Mirror....my parents read it so I read it...and into my early married life....not really because of any political affiliation at the time. My paper reading changed around the time of the page three war that started for circulation between the Mirror and the Sun....and we thought that with young children around page three was probably not necessary......so the Telegraph became our daily reading at home....right wing but more subtle in its approach.

Living in strong Conservative areas all my adult life...I've found that my reasoning became more anti-establishment......thinking that most local decisions were stacked against fair play for those less well off in society, and the extremes that developed because of it....noticing where the money was spent in the borough and where it wasn't....and that has always irked me......I just feel that no modern political party serves the community even handed and that change is needed from some source,

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have no problem with newspapers putting a slant on things. They support one side or the other and that's their right. I do however object to the BBC becoming one of the media outlets stoking the fires so to speak. They seem to love a head on a pole as much as the rest of them. However, they are funded by public money and therefore the unbiased approach which has been their mantra since the beginning should still apply and it doesn't. As a matter of interest my parents had both the mirror and the sun papers. I have never bought either. My parents were labour voters although if I asked them why and especially my mother it was mostly because she couldn't stand "insert whichever tory leader there was". If I asked why she couldn't stand whoever was tory leader the reasons were bizaar. They look smarmy or they were rich or some such excuse other than anything they ever stood for. In other words she didn't know why she just thought of herself as a labour person because they had always had to work. It's by definition rather than ideology. I have mainly been a tory. My son has recently joined the labour party and thinks Shezza is wonderful. I do not think either upbringing or the newspaper you read or had around you is the reason anyone votes the way they do. I haven't bought a newspaper for years but I used to get the Daily Express. My reasons for that were I loved doing their crossword and the target word they published. My missus used to cut them out and send them to me when I was away at sea and me and the troops had hours of fun doing them. Trust me, when away at sea for weeks at a time as I was on a Survey ship the little things were very entertaining.

I can also assure you plym that the majority of things local authorities decide these days are restricted by central government still irrespective of what they will have you belieeve about devolution. It is all well and good devolving decision making to the far reaches of the land when centrally they decide what money they can have to effectively put things into practice. What they are all good at is saying the responsibility for this or that is being transferred to the local authorities and then tell the local authorities they can have x£m less to put it in place. They then put the blame on the local councillors when it doesn't meet requirements. Who was to blame for lack of social housing for example? Maggie was initially because she introduced the right to buy scheme. They then prevented local authorities from building anymore to replace the sold stuff. Labour kicked off about this big time whilst in opposition. Then promised to allow building of stock once more if they got in by releasing all the proceeds councils had in the bank from previous sales. When Blair got in they did feck all and made the councils spend the money they had put back on other stuff. No new houses anywhere. Why didn't they? Because they realised that social housing was expensive and they didn't really want it anymore themselves. Now they blame the tories for the lack of it when they could have resolved it in 1997. They are as bad as one another when you look at most of the stuff in a bit of detail.