1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

PAFC and the AFT

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by sensiblegreeny, Aug 25, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It won't be in his personal holdings Sensible, it will belong to PAFC.

There will be no borrowing by the club to purchase the ground and the investors will have no security over it.

There is a covenant that the land will always be a sports ground. Yes, that could change but one of the parties is PCC so we'd certainly know about it if it did. It's highly unlikely that PCC would give a planning permission there for a lucrative alternative use anyway. That being the case, the value of the site is always going to be determined by the value of the football club i.e. not very much.

The last lot got into trouble by overspending on an unsuccessful football team, not property speculation in itself. Ironically, Brent also gets criticised in certain quarters for NOT spending enough on the team. The guy just can't win.

To date, I haven't seen any evidence that Brent can't be trusted. He's banged on endlessly about developing that side of the ground being a cornerstone of moving Argyle up the leagues and you have to admit, it makes the club look second rate as it is now. If buying the site in at a sensible price (which it seems to be) makes building a new stand easier than mucking around with PCC as a reluctant landlord, then I'm all for it.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Firstly I'm not advocating overspending.

Secondly I'd ask who exactly is the majority holder of PAFC? Overwhelming majority holder at that.

Thirdly everybody and their dog knows that if a planning application is not approved by a local Authority then the Government of the day can overturn it if they see fit. And have many times despite restrictions. Knowing about it may not stop it happening even if I accept there may be no worry in the end and the possible doesn't happen.

Lastly the ground does need updating but not just any old update. I'm am yet to be convinced that Brent will ever be the man to update anything. The last Board remortgaged the ground several times over and it must have a value to borrow money against it. There is no evidence he would use it but also no evidence to say he won't. Trust is all anyone has and some choose to trust him and others are more sceptical.