1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Paul Dummett

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Gordonthetoony, May 22, 2016.

1. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

magpie290761 likes this.
  2. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Oh please, please, please be true! I will drive him myself.
    He is ok as 4th choice cb, that's it!

3. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

If he goes we may need a left back, but if this is a player we receive a bid for then it may be difficult to keep hold off him whether we want to or not, regardless of whether he wants to stay or not.

4. Heed

Heed well known cheat

I think we need to keep an eye on the future, if indeed we get promoted I would rather have new LB already embedded into the team.

We should accept any half decent bid without a second thought.

5. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

A fiver and some jaffa cakes

6. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

If you could give me £1.50 change and a couple of jaffas out of the packet, we could be on <ok>

7. Heed

Heed well known cheat

Dodgy copies or real McVities's.

8. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Deal!

9. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Tesco value!

10. magpie290761

magpie290761 Well-Known Member

Solid full back, promising central defender, local lad, not expensive. 100% effort so why sell. Would be rank stupidity. To replace him with what exactly?
    Some people need to remember when they called for the instant departure of other defenders in a similar mould who have since left and whilst not all have been huge many have had good careers mainly at premier level whilst we have floundered around with dross in defence leaking goals left right and centre. Aaron Hughes anyone? Danny Simpson? Even Andy O'Brian played Prem level for ages after leaving us. We need a squad not just a team and good (and still improving) squad players need to be kept especially English ones rather than constant gambling on finding bargains that don't pay off and cost a lot of money.
    Many complain local lads don't get a chance but are happy to discard them themselves if they arnt superstars. Squads need workers as well as stars

11. Rafa's Championship Party

Agree with this, people saying bring a left back in now, are forgetting one major factor it's difficult to get a left back for the Premier League when we aren't there ourselves, especially when there is no guarantee we'll come back up, who would have said clubs like Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday would be out of the league as long as they have been. Keep Dummett he might gain more confidence and improve with a year or two in the Championship.

12. Geordie lass in the Fen

Geordie lass in the Fen Well-Known Member

I would definitely keep. Dummett doesn't set the world on fire, but is solid enough for the squad.
    Rafa or not, we are now in the championship and need to remember that we won't be spending big bucks on established superstars.
    I am not saying we don't need other recruits and Dummett can also slot in at CB if pushed.

13. Heed

Heed well known cheat

Its the acceptance of mediocre players like Dummett that has resulted in relegation.
    Personally I want better players than the ones that have been served up in recent years.
    But, if you're happy with the likes of Dummett, good for you, hopefully, you'll be proved right, however, forgive me if I don't hold my breath in anticipation.

Flash likes this.
  14. Rafa's Championship Party

Listen if we are to progress well and get back to where Benitez wants to get us then there will be a time when Dummett will have to improve or be replaced, that time is not when we have just been relegated in the Premier League and will need to sell players.

15. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Personally, I think he's pretty solid defender. Not very good going forward but then I'd not be playing him at left back anyway. CB all day long and not a bad one at all. He'll have the vast majority of Championship forwards/wingers in his pocket tbf. I'd still probably try and look for a full back that can defend and offer a bit more going forward for next season but that certainly doesn't mean Dummett is getting sold. Haidara can neither defend nor attack so he should be the one out of the door.

16. anyobrien

anyobrien Well-Known Member

keep for me seems to have improved as did the team when he came back from injury..

magpie290761 likes this.
  17. Hugh Briss

Hugh Briss Well-Known Member

This.

18. YankMag

YankMag Active Member

I personally don't think dummet is that bad. He's not a top 4 talent. The kid bleeds black and white. He's premier League quality in my eyes. That is enough for me to keep the kid until he retires.

magpie290761 likes this.
  19. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Tough call. Long term you'd want better. We need to think about the here and now though. Dummett is probably pretty good in Championship terms. Can we not just offer them the infinitely worse Haidara?

20. Howe's about that then?

Howe's about that then? Well-Known Member

Definitely keep. You wouldn't build a team around him but he does his job just like Simpson did for us and who has done better since he left?
    I think Dummet is good enough for premier league, I have no issues with continuous improvement, if we can get better with the right character then great but finding a left back isn't a priority right now.

magpie290761 likes this.