1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Paul Pogba's Improvement | By The Numbers

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by BigFox, Feb 8, 2017.

1. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Nice video about Pogbas's improvement over the season and where he can do better.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Does it reference his hair?

I think that's gone a bit downhill to be honest.

3. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

And nothing of course to do with the minimum appearances clause in his contract

4. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Thats the first I've heard of that - what is that about?

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Give you 3 guesses

Skylarker likes this.
  6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Just watch Pogba, forget who he is, just watch him and ask yourself what he does exactly on the pitch that made him worth the whole saga we went through to buy him? I honestly think Schneiderlin would've been just as influential, if not more. He's anything but world class at the moment. Having said that, there's been many a great United player who had a pretty mediocre first season. I won't be writing him off after 6 months and happy to be patient. Apologies in advance for any doom mongering <whistle>

7. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I agree. If anyone care recall I was saying this before we signed him too.

Let's see how it pans out, he's our player now and hopefully will kick on again soon. He does have the potential, of that there's no doubt, he just is not using it. He's not using any facet of his game right now to be perfectly honest.

He did have a good spell and then that absolute mare against Liverpool seems to have set him right back again. He'll come good I'm sure. Eventually!!

8. Stan

Stan Stalker

I think Poggers will be fine. He's been **** recently but I think he's trying too hard to impress. That transfer fee is an albatross as the judge by stats football fans demand 30+ goals a season from big money signings, even if they're goalkeepers.

9. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

10. DerekTheMole

DerekTheMole Well-Known Member

That hairdo is stupid. Why would you have it made into a Windows cursor?

Big Ern, Skylarker and luvgonzo like this.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Peter Stringfellow?

12. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Treble, but Schneiderlin had two seasons to do just that and he didn't. So, how can we now suggest that Schneiderlin would have been more influential?

I don't believe that Pogba is anywhere near his best yet, but we have massively improved in the middle of the part and dynamism is clearly there for all to see. Of course we can't boil it down to just a single player, but Pogba in my opinion has provided the pillars to help us balance that midfield. His presence on the pitch is unquestionable.

Let us dive into Premier League official statistics to breakdown the misconceptions and subjectivity -

upload_2017-2-11_12-55-48.png
    https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/touches

Before today's game, he was second in the league with number of touches. Which proves the point about his presence in the side. When was the last time we had a midfield that was willing to receive the ball and control the game? I personally cannot remember.

upload_2017-2-11_13-2-2.png

Shots on target by midfielders:
    upload_2017-2-11_13-6-6.png

Through balls:
    upload_2017-2-11_13-8-17.png
    One thing that Pogba needs to massively improve on is his finishing. He has hit the woodwork 5 times this season. He should have put far more goals away. If he improves on that, he would without a doubt become a phenom. But like I said, his all round game and dynamism is there for all to see unlike yesterday years where our midfield was without a leader.

In passes, he is second again.
    upload_2017-2-11_13-3-29.png

At the end of the day, we can sit here all day long and express opinions. But with statistics, there is no doubt that Pogba is doing far better than what most players could accomplish in their first season. He is Top 3 in almost every category for midfielders in the league. Why are we complaining?

13. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Those are some pretty pointless stats imo. So he has the ball quite a lot and twats shots from 30 yards on target.

14. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It proves he has dynamism. Well, about as much dynamism as Kolarov, Milner and Lovren anyway.

15. The Prime Minister

The Prime Minister Well-Known Member

The only stat thats worth it is if at the end of the game UTD have won.

16. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Considering we went years without attempting shots from outside the box, it ain't as pointless as you think.

We haven't put our chances away as a team. Hence why we lag in wins. Pogba certainly needs to do better with his chances.

Here's official Top 10 league players rating:
    https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...erStatistics/England-Premier-League-2016-2017
    upload_2017-2-12_9-29-16.png

Anything else that suggests Pogba is not pulling his weight for United is an opinion as statistics paint a completely different picture. Can he improve? Without a shadow of doubt. But I don't see how we can slate his contribution so far.

17. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

He was playing badly. I don't need stats to point anything out, I can see that with my own eyes.

Haven't seen yesterdays game so not sure how he played? The very brief highlights I have seen he seemed to be involved a lot so hopefully he's had a better game.

He's got the ability, I think he was going through a bad spell. Doesn't make him a **** player.

luvgonzo likes this.
  18. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

That's a terrible table and shows how stats can warped. He's boosted up the league by shots per goal and winning headers.

19. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

I agree and feel that he will have a much better season next time around, not every player settles straight away I have no doubt he will improve. Not ****ing happy with it like, but he will get better.

20. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Stats can only provide some support to what you can see on the pitch. Otherwise like astro the retard you just draw conclusions from stats without even watching football.

The bottom line surely: Are United a more potent attacking force with Pogba this season compared to last? Are United better to watch now than last season?

There is your answer. No ****ing amount of stats will tell me any different. A few weeks ago the so called pundits were all dumping on JM. apparently he had the worst winless record earlier this season of any United manager. But our eyes told us the team was ****ing playing far better than LVG or Moyes.