1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pelle / Mane

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by stjohnson, Feb 7, 2015.

1. stjohnson

stjohnson Active Member

Anyone think it would be worth resting Pelle and playing Mane as the main striker against West Ham?

Elia Ward-Prowse Tadic

Mane

I think that could work well and maybe the big man just needs a rest or a break to get going again.

2. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was thinking about this. I wouldn't. Mane could become isolated without Pelle to feed off. I would keep Pelle up front with Mane in support.

3. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Perhaps not playing Pelle will remind fans we have to play Pelle

4. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

^^ I wouldn't either. Pelle was poor today, but he played against three center backs, it was never going to be an easy task to handle. And the game plan didn't suit him either. We were looking to exploit space behind their defence by playing direct through balls to Mane or Elia. It worked very well because both of them had good opportunities to score. Pelle was there to occupy a few QPR defenders to provide additional space to Mane and Elia, and win a header here and there. All in all, we won so it worked, everyone played his part. Pelle will have a bigger part in other games, but today it was not to be.

5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Not scoring doesn't mean Pelle wasn't doing anything..he occupies players and gives Mane and Elia space.

Jose Fonte baby likes this.
  6. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing after today's game where Pelle once again looked a shell of the striker he was earlier in the season. Especially against WHU who have big cloggers at CB who wouldn't look forward to trying the mark a flying machine like Mane. Would put money on getting a penalty too

7. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

Tadic as a false nine with Mane and Elia on the flanks might be better if Pelle wasn't picked. Mane in the middle, Tadic left and Elia right wouldn't be too bad either. Whoever played central would have more energy and pace, as they wouldn't have to put in a defensive shift. I don't think it would be too bad. We'd do better in tighter areas if we dominated the game. Mane is looking like our only threat at the moment. It's easier to feed him with Tadic on the park.

I don't know what would be better. It's worth a try. Unless you try it you don't know if it's better or not. I like the idea of experimenting with it as we stay just as solid defensively, so it's not a risk.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  8. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Pelle needs confidence. Dropping him will not help that. As mentioned above he does more than just score, he is also an important presence and influential character.

9. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

You're absolutely right Fran, and so is everyone else who realises that Pelle is doing sterling work apart from his scoring requirements. In fact, Saints are playing a little like Chris Nichol's side at present, in their attacking stance. Nichol had two speedy wingers [well one at least] in Rod Wallace and Matt Le Tissier [don't laugh, he could run reasonably quickly when he was younger and slimmer], and had Alan Shearer or Paul Rideout in the centre. Wallace and Le Tiss used to score most of the goals, even though they were wide midfielders, and the CFs were really there doing what Pelle does now.

10. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

Pelle gets 11 days off after this game. I'd keep him as we need his strength, but 3-5-2 with Mane up front and Elia LWB.

11. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

Double post.

12. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Occupying defenders is the absolute minimum requirement for any player. Why should we be impressed that a Premier League time actually deigns to cover another Premier League player?

Pelle's effort can't be questioned, and he still wins his fair share of contested balls. But he's not doing a good job bringing other players into play. He either needs to hold the ball longer and give someone a chance to run onto a pass, or we need to have a withdrawn striker or other player in position for those quick passes Pelle wants to play.

Because the way it is now, all Pelle is doing is passing the ball to opposing defensive midfielders.

13. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

We would have to change our play substantially if we dropped Pelle. We play a LOT of long balls up the middle for him to contest. Nobody else in the squad can fill that role. However, I feel that he's been significantly over-played this season. Never missed a game, never gets subbed off. Thats tough on any player and I reckon he's suffered as a result. After that bright start he could have done with some support. With the new attacking players, it has to be time to look at planB.

Dont drop him, rest him.

14. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

I think if some of Pelle's many shots this season that have hit the woodwork had gone in, nobody would be talking about him as if his game had gone off the boil. He has been desperately unlucky so far, but contributes so much anyway. I think the goals will come back and if he continues to pull defenders out of position, it opens up the pitch for our pacy players.
    I hope he keeps playing, and keeps doing what he has been doing so far - once a goal or two go in, people will be raving about him again

15. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

Personally I think dropping Pelle would be a very bad decision. As others have pointed out, our play is completely around him and we have no one who could do the job that he does. Him and Mane as a front two is lethal and West Ham will do very well to cope with them both. Glad Mane has come back all guns blazing !

16. Saintalona

Saintalona Well-Known Member

I wouldn't drop him. Every player has a job and his is to lead the line at the front, hold up the ball and pass to another attacking player. We don't have anyone who could replace him at the moment so he has to play.

17. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

No to dropping Pelle, and Mane is getting better and better.....both will score against the hammers on Wednesday.

18. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Dropping Pelle and you have no one trying to hold the ball yo. You also have no big bloke causing trouble in the box. People seem seem to want to moan at the moment.
    If it isn't Pelle it's Forster, who did a world class save yesterday. Also people had a go at him for being fouled and letting them score(even tho the ref said it was a foul and offside).

19. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

We have no one to replace him. Can you really see Mane trying to hold the ball up waiting for other players? I can't.

20. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

If you look back, I've been saying for a while that if Pelle got injured, we'd have no issues playing three speedsters instead and that it will give the opposition a different problem.

I wouldn't necessarily drop him, but if he got injured it really needed a rest then we'd be fine. Koeman is an excellent tactician. For those saying that we play too many long/direct balls to not play Pelle need to ask themselves what they think the players would work in if Pelle wasn't going to play?? They are not robots, they will adapt and play a different style.