1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pelle / Mane

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by stjohnson, Feb 7, 2015.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Pelle doesn't hold it up as well as people make out. Or maybe I should say, he hasn't been recently (didn't see yesterday, so don't know about that). In other recent games, we have lost possession fairly easily when the ball has gone long to Pelle. He either has tried to play a first time ball or the CB has got round him to intercept.

I don't think having anyone to replace him is an issue, if Koeman approaches the game differently, which surely he would as he is a professional coach. He'd spend the week working in a different style of play. That's what he's paid to do and more than capable of doing.

Tintin likes this.
  2. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I think Pelle does a lot more then many people think he does. People will soon be moaning when he doesn't play.

3. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

I personally think that anyone that wants pelle dropped is clueless. The amount he brings to the side is unbelievable, and his hold up play has been invaluable to us all season. Even though the goals have stopped he always offers a lot throughout every game, and for me it is more down to bad luck that the goals have stopped. He WILL start scoring again soon, and if he isn't then so what - he will keep assisiting loads.

Get off his back, we are ****ing third FFS

latviandream and Dohnut like this.
  4. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

I would agree with this other than the point about confidence. In time we will find he has been playing through an injury as the alternatives (Long, JRod and Gallagher) are all injured. Our whole team depends on aPelle type to hold the ball up and we could not cope without him.

5. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

This mini break will help everyone...except us. We'll be bored :(

6. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

There is no easy answer to Pelle's lose of form and confidence, guess we will have to trust RK to make the right call and support it wholeheartedly

7. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

I really don't see this supposed loss of form. Other than the goals which are not totally in his control then i'm seeing the same player we've had all season. A strong and competitive player who works hard as a target man and his play on the ball can go from the sublime to the ridiculous in a heart beat.

One thing I do know is that in the cup games we've played without him we've looked pretty impotent

8. fran-MLs little camera

I note Fonte hit the woodwork yesterday....what is it with our team and their inability to avoid the crossbars and uprights.

9. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

Think Pelle did too <laugh>

10. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It sounds like Collins, Reid, and Tomkins are all injury doubts for today, which in turn could mean they are doubts for Wednesday too (especially if West Ham lose today, and Sam decides to then prioritise the cup over the league). They had to bring Demel on for Collins when he went off injured last weekend, and he's a below average RB.

Not sure why people would be wanting us to leave Pelle out, if we're ultimately to find ourselves up against a makeshift CB pairing.

11. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

He has 2 assists all season.

12. fran-MLs little camera

Only 2 assists which (by definition) lead directly to goals...but there will be lots of instances where he is involved in the goals. They also serve who only stand and require marking.

13. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

Saints are really good at the crossbar challenge. As for Mane, maybe he was trying too hard earlier in the season.Now he`s timing his runs much better.

14. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

Of the three, only Tomkins makes today's squad.

15. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

The number of final passes may be low but think about him in the build up. The goal against man united and first against newcastle was all due to his movement.

16. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

I tend to agree, though I wouldn't necessarily blame Pelle.

We are out of sync a bit on offense. Pelle loves to play those quick layoffs but if we play a long ball up to him, there's no one there to receive it.

I think he does hold the ball up at times, but usually it ends up him receiving the ball 40 yards out, holding it for a bit, and then still winding up passing it back to a midfielder. It's hard to fault Pelle for doing his job, coming back, and helping us retain possession, but it's also kind of hard to say we're getting a lot out of that.

Against Swansea, we weren't getting good crosses into the box. Against QPR, we were successful in taking advantage of Elia and Mane's speed on the counter. So Pelle's lack of scoring/significant role isn't exactly his fault. But at the same time, if we're not taking good advantage of what he brings, then we need to make some adjustments.

To me, Pelle and Tadic have a good personal rapport and their playing styles complement each other. I don't think it's a coincidence that both players went cold at around the same time Tadic was moved. I'm not saying we have to play Pelle and Tadic (with Tadic on the left) every game, either.

We have lots of good attacking options, and I like them all in their own way. But we can mix-and-match based on opposition. I wouldn't be averse to trying Tadic in the middle at times, or benching Pelle for Mane at others. Maybe Djuricic can be the guy we need to play off Pelle in the center.

I'm not that worried about goals because our defense has been fantastic and I think we have the quality upfront we need. But it's an area where Koeman will have to do a bit of tinkering.

17. fatletiss

Hang on, I'm not saying he doesn't do a lot and yes we'd miss his physical presence. He works hard and can pre-occupy defenders. What I am saying is that as a CF and a big one, he isn't as good (or recently anyway) as he could be at holding it up. I have watched him specifically for this recently.

Do you think he has been holding it up well?

18. fatletiss

I want to clarify something. Every time I mention Pelle, I say I'm not criticising and have said several times that I would not drop him.

I agree with you that he brings lots I the team. I have to disagree with you though when you say that his hold up play has been invaluable all season. Early on he was holding it up very well. For the last few games, he has not been holding it up. I've watched defenders get round him and punch it from him or he has tried a first time flick, particularly when we have been under pressure and we have wanted the ball held up to relief that pressure. I was a CF and spend a lot of time watching how well CFs hold the ball up. Take Swansea, Gomis held almost everything up and relieved then when they'd been under pressure. Pelle didn't.

I keep saying I wouldn't drop him, but an honest appraisal and highlighting an area where he can improve is fair, not clueless.

19. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I said people not you FLT. Yesterday for one guy against 3 big defenders I think he did.

20. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

Pelle against Newcastle and Gomis against us (both in recent weeks as it happens) are probably the best two examples I've seen this season (in games involving us) of holding the ball up well. Both were excellent performances in my view.