1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pelle / Mane

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by stjohnson, Feb 7, 2015.

1. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

If you are an attacking player that doesn't require marking from defenders you not only shouldn't be on the pitch, you shouldn't even be on the team.

Pelle is nowhere near that bad, but the standard should be much higher. Every team we play has at least one centerback whose primary task is to prevent the opposition striker from scoring. He is supposed to be able to score or create assists despite that.

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I'll stand down :)

3. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

4 goals in 4 starts. Imagine how many he'd have if he had a harder shot!

AberdeenSaint likes this.
  4. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

They will all get a good break after WEdnesday

5. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Really though, most people are moaning that the guy hasn't had a break since the start of the season, not that he's rubbish and should be dropped. I never said that Mane could replace him, hence plan B, as in not plan A which is big bloke in the box holding up the ball.

If we dont have a plan B then what will be do when Pelle cops an injury. It's likely. Depsite him being built like a tank.

6. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

A fair few of our goals recently have come from balls over the top (involving Pelle or not). It offers an alternative to the intricate passing, or using the wings, if neither is paying off. We all used to moan about a lack of plan B under Poch, and now with Koeman I often see plans A, B, and C operating simultaneously. I'm afraid if we drop Pelle our attacking play may become too predictable.

7. NISaint

NISaint Well-Known Member

I can't think of a worse fixture to rest Pelle than against West Ham! We need his aerial presence to compete with the Hammers' defence, otherwise we will have no threat whatsoever from set pieces and any crosses above waist height! He will act as a foil for the wealth of attacking, pacey players we have and we will give their defenders problems that way.

8. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I agree with what Black has said just below your post.

9. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Just to stick my oar in, I think Pelle could have been playing with an ongoing injury for some time. Sometimes it bothers him badly, but he can play through it, and sometimes it barely bothers him at all or goes away for a while. I know he had a knee injury prior to the QPR home game earlier in the season, but played through it. Against QPR at Loftus Road he was limping quite badly at times throughout the game. Didn't help either when Barton came crashing in on his other leg.

Yes, he isn't playing quite as well as he was, but I think it's a physical reason rather than form. Reminds me of Beatts in his last season at Saints when people said he was rubbish and yet he played for half the season with a bad knee injury and was still effective.

What we need is JayRod back. Sam Gallagher is too young for the responsibility, in my opinion.

10. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I can't think of anyone who suggested he is dropped for West Ham :)

11. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

West Ham have lack of cover at central defender at present, Pelle has the physique that could cause them trouble and with Mane feeding off him and using his pace, I think we could cause them more problems than Man Utd did at the weekend.

12. SaintinNZ

13. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

15. SAINTDON13

Indeed there are some that think that they are are a bunch of weak kneed overpaid prima-donnas anyhow.

16. SAINTDON13

Toby is overdoing it too perhaps?

17. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

It is amazing how we carry on doing well despite losing players we viewed as essential. Perhaps we have a bit more depth than we think...although the bench often looks frighteningly weak. A compliment to the players, but also for the manager who seems to be able to readjust the team when he has to.

Good to see Toby nearing full recovery and to hear how Tadic is eager to train harder.....may not be the right thing to do, but the lad is obviously not one of those who thinks he's perfect and looks to shift the blame elsewhere.

Philboyersboots likes this.
  18. Clem Fandango

Clem Fandango Well-Known Member

Pelle Mane Elia is front three id go with today. Tadic, if he comes , has to play on the left

19. SaintinNZ

Against these guys I'm with Clem. I'd be looking to change it up earlier than the 80th minute and get pelle off if we get a couple of goal lead. Havent had one of those in quite a while though. Perhaps thats Koemans plan. You can come off when we have a 2 goal advantage Pelle!

20. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

This ffs put tadic only the left, he is far far better on the left. I can't understand why koeman can't see it