1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pitch Invasion

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Apr 22, 2015.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Bristol City under FA investigation following pitch invasion.
    By a_Stockhausen

please log in to view this image

Bristol City are being investigated by the Football Association after fans invaded the pitch following Saturday's 0-0 draw with Coventry.
    Despite being urged to remain in their seats, several hundred jubilant supporters spilled onto the pitch after the final whistle signalled City's coronation as League One champions.
    Even though the invasion was good natured and the pitch was cleared within 10 minutes, City could still face sanctions if the FA choose to take a hard line.
    Club officials are understandably eager to avoid a repeat performance when Walsall visit Ashton Gate in the final game of the season on Sunday, May 3.

The League One championship trophy will be presented to the team at the end of that game and City are concerned that another pitch invasion could land them in hot water with the authorities.
    A statement on the club's official website read: "This formal presentation will only take place on the pitch if all supporters stay off the pitch, and therefore supporters MUST remain in their seats.
    "The club is determined that every effort will be made to ensure that all fans can enjoy the formal presentation celebration next Sunday.
    "It is a criminal offence for supporters to go on to the pitch. You could face arrest and the club could face sanction including a points deduction.
    "Please stay off the pitch. Pitch invasions are not welcome, no matter how well intentioned."

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristo...lowing-pitch/story-26374364-detail/story.html

2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  3. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

i can understand people going on he pitch v Coventry tbf, however it wouldn't be right to go on the pitch at any other game

4. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Baffled??

I was in the Williams on Saturday and initially didn't go down on to the pitch, but it became clearly evident that the stewards were in fact opening the barriers up and not making any attempt to stop people going on, in fact it appeared to be 'you're welcome to do so' rather than don't, I wandered down and had a walk around as you do. we also had a few photos in the dug outs etc, when it was evident that the team were coming back out everyone left the pitch quickly and in order. Cotts has since said he expected it to happen and was only going through the motions in asking fans to stay off.

The Coventry fans pretty much stayed and applauded till the end, (as praised by a poster on here) and at no point was any deterioration of the atmosphere intended?

I can only imagine the FA have received a complaint.. Who would do that??

Mind the gap! likes this.
  5. Loathsneyd

Loathsneyd Well-Known Member

To be honest I never understood the need to go on the pitch. Its also a shame that the players need to make a mad dash for it at the end of the game

6. Mind the gap!

Mind the gap! Well-Known Member

Agree with banksy, no attempt to stop fans and gates open, enjoyed a little wander around the hallowed turf and left when told to do so.

7. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

There was no malice here what so ever - I stayed in my seat, but could see everything
    Both sets of fans congratulated each other

8. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

It's all overkill.

I'm lucky enough to have been on the pitch on a number of occasions and I turned out ok...ish <laugh>

9. Loathsneyd

I think there would have been some malice if they tried to stop people getting on the pitch so they took the sensible option. I don't get what's hard to understand about 'Please stay of the pitch'

10. banksyisourhero

There was absolutely no intention from the stewards to stop anyone, I slowly wandered past a couple and was smiled at as if to say, 'yeah its fine'

This is a football tradition going back decades, the Sags didn't appear to receive any sort of punishment despite the aggressive nature of their pitch invasion last year.? its all overkill.. my 8 year old nephew is coming over from France for the last game and his Mum Specifically told me he wants to run on the pitch.. yes he will have to wait till after the trophy presentation but I just can't see the harm..

11. Loathsneyd

The tradition argument doesn't do it for me, you cant simply carry on doing things because its always been done as times change, and as for what harm, well its an offence for a start, so the Police don't want you do it, The FA don't want you to do it and the club don't want you to do it. What is the attraction on standing on a bit of grass anyway 20 yards or so from a place you are allowed to stand? There's a big park over the back if people are that desperate to stand on some grass:emoticon-0100-smile

Red Squid likes this.
  12. banksyisourhero

I'll go with the flow, if a young kid gets a kick out of it and its harmless, I'll take him on after the presentation and no harm done. I know I won't be the only one!

Its a bigger thing for an 8 year old. He's got plenty of parks where he lives..

13. Loathsneyd

To be honest I don't see a problem with that either once the players and more importantly the ref are long gone.

14. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

I could spot on the pitch kids and parents from BS3/4 under eights teams v Coventry.

15. BrightredRickster

BrightredRickster Well-Known Member

I think to be safe it may be a better idea not to go on the pitch

Points docked sounds dangerous…..

16. banksyisourhero

As far as I am aware, no team has ever been docked points for a celebratory pitch invasion .. to do it to us the FA would need some BIG justification.

You will be seeing pictures of it all over the TV in coming weeks from all over the country!

Its a tradition.

17. Loathsneyd

To be honest I think the point deduction threat is a bit of scare mongering too but why risk it? If the FA want to clamp down on it then all they will need is a hint of trouble and they will hit someone. IMO They are also more likely to hit a club from the lower reaches first to send a message rather than go for the big guns straightaway.

18. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Worst case scenario is we finish on 93 Points, Preston 92 and MK 91- Why risk a points deduction now!

19. LARED

LARED Member

20. banksyisourhero

I already have decided thanks, and that law is designed to prevent pitch incursions during a game or part of.

Did you go on the Rovers pitch when they got relegated?