1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Play-off Dates Div 2.

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, May 3, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Play-off dates have been announced for Argyle v Pompey......first leg will be played Thursday May 12th and second leg on Sunday May 15th.....who plays at home first will be decided by who finishes 5th or 6th after Saturdays final league games.

2. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Plym.

3. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Well i think we are better playing both games away? :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl: 3-1 argyle over 2 legs and beat wimbledon in the final.. Easy really :emoticon-0103-cool:<party>

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So Wimbledon are going to beat Bristol then? Don't know why I was worried in the first place. I might be washing my hair on those dates..:afro:

5. Greenarmyjoe

Yep i can see the wombles beating rovers.. it will be a close call to see which side does go up.. its not an easy division...

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I know I will end up going to the home leg even if every bone in my body says don't. In the end you can't help yourself can you. It's just like when somebody says don't look and you always do.

I see somebody on pasoti is having a drip about the cost of a corporate type package for the pompey game. He has bought a season ticket to include all of that which worked out at £48 a game. Argyle are hiking up the price for the play off match to £75. It does seem a bit off doing that as it's no way to treat loyal customers is it.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

.....and I thought I can remember you saying that.....'my grandchildren can't remember that I ever had any hair'....:emoticon-0136-giggl.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

What you trying to say plym? I have hair but it just doesn't happen to be in the right place is all. Bleddy cheek.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So what should Derek Adams do this Saturday ?

1.....Should he pick his strongest available team.......so that they can try and achieve a win against Hartlepool and therefore try to finish 5th....giving them home advantage for the second leg of the semi-final play-offs. Portsmouth have a hard home game against Northampton....will they be trying to win that ?

2.....Seeing that the Portsmouth play-off games are played within four days of each other....would it be better to rest some of his first team players to try to freshen them up beforehand ?

3.....Both teams have a better away record......will they want to play the first game at home or away.....that is a difficult choice to have to make........playing the second leg away will mean that the away team will probably bring a larger support on a Sunday than a Thursday evening.

4.....If Adams picks his fringe players will he be hoping that one or two of them will raise to the occasion and force there way into his play-off starting line up....could it be Louis Rooney's moment....or could Tyler Harvey prove that he isn't just a lightweight forward with no real future with Argyle.

5.....Will Adams choice be dominated by injuries still....if Reid is fully fit would he not be best pairing up with Matt as a two up front option.....they do quite well together. Did McHugh come back too early after injury.....will he need to miss Saturdays game to rest up......who knows.....the important thing is that Derek Adams needs to get this squad playing again......pro-footballers surely don't need motivating with the thought of a trip to Wembley and promotion to a higher division being dangled in front of them like a carrot before a donkey......or will they let us down again and prove once more that they are just donkey's anyway.

10. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I have been wondering the same thing Plymborn. I don't know what Adams will do but having key players as fit as possible seems likely to outweigh the home/away issue, so I'd be giving a rest to anyone who needs one. I presume they have data on the relevant metrics.

11. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Since both teams (us and Pompey) are equally inconsistent I don't think it really matters who plays at home first. Reading between the lines I suspect he wont take any chances at all so anyone with a slight knock or 'tired' will be rested. Could even see Harvey and some of the youngsters start. No idea how it will all pan out but have bought my tickets for the home leg but will enjoy the away leg courtesy of Sky.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  12. notDistantGreen

All these games are at TV friendly, fan hostile times of course...

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've cracked already and will be getting home tickets tomorrow. I will also sell my soul to the devil and watch the second leg at No.1 son's who has already sold out to the sky master. I think we will be home first anyway. I wouldn't rest anyone. Don't think it matters except not to play anyone with a niggly leg or whatever footballers get. No point in ruining whatever chance they have of playing altogether. Apart from that, if fit then get yer boots on.

14. notDistantGreen

You can't get tickets yet can you? It's not decided who plays at home first until after Saturday's game is it?

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!

Update: I now understand. You CAN buy home and away tickets for Portsmouth NOW (if you are a member) but you won't know the date of each game until after the results are in on Saturday. In other words, you buy a home ticket now which will be for EITHER Thurs May 12 7:45pm OR Sun May 15 6pm. You therefore have to be available for both dates to buy tickets now.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  15. Greenarmyjoe

We should play the strongest side we have available. Try and get the home leg second, if that makes a difference.. not. We will see what he puts out. Will it be a sell out this weekend? As i heard if you go to this one you are guaranteed a ticket for the playoff semi and final? :emoticon-0100-smile

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The more I think about getting promoted from this division.... I am now of the opinion that if we fail again this time we need to change our position regarding next season.

Brent needs to open his wallet....get rid of the moths and pay up front for winners to add to his star players.....who he will retain at all costs from leaving (unless ridiculous money is offered) so that we do not have to depend on loanees like this season.

We cannot afford to have a small squad where players can nearly guarrantee starting every game.....more competion to compensate for injuries and players being out of form.

We have been in this basement league far to long for a club of our size.....even taking into account going through administration.

Enough is enough....we need to start moving forward.....and that means not just on the pitch....but also regarding a new Grandstand.......we need a ground that can hold at least 25,000....other clubs have done it and reaped the rewards because of it.

Just remember a few years back Brighton nearly had no ground at all.....they would have been better playing on the beach although it was shingle....now they have a great ground and matching it on the pitch as well.....just remember that doss hole of a ground that they endured before they built their new stadium.

Maybe we need to move away from Home Park to achieve it......no ground is that hallowed to be stayed in for ever.....who ever thought Arsenal would leave Highbury...steeped in so much history....will Liverpool be next to move to continue growing.....why not PAFC before that Grandstand is condemned to the scrap heap.

If James Brent is not up to it then a buyer needs to be found who will take us to the next level....and that level ain't to high above the the pit that Div 2 is.....the possibilities are immense with a catchment area the size that PAFC find themselves in.

If we fail again this season then things need to change....thank you Mr Brent for what you did 5years back....but now we need to get motoring up these leagues.....we are the only club west of Bristol that can do it.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Steady plym that summary will be classed as a mutiny if you aren't careful.....

You are correct notdistant and being retired (or is it just tired) I don't care what day they play it or time of day for that matter as long as it's PM. Don't do mornings very well anymore.

18. notDistantGreen

That's Brighton & Hove Albion whose shirt sponsor is Amex, who through one of Amex's senior managers who is (or was) on Brighton's board, supported the construction of what was originally called the "Amex Stadium"?

http://www.amexstadium.co.uk/landing-page/index.html

Arsenal is a poor example too as their ground move was financed by property development on both the old and the new sites (I know someone who lives in a flat which is part of the new stadium complex). The cost of the stadium is also argued by some to have contributed to Arsenal's long period without a major trophy.

Otherwise, I don't agree with you - at least in the sense that I don't think it's going to happen. Are the any mega-global banks based in Plymouth?

19. Greenarmyjoe

Plym you Brent Basher.. :emoticon-0102-bigsm

20. Greenarmyjoe

Arsenal is still a **** hole