1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Political Debate

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He has plenty of support from both centre left and right and would not find any difficulty in filling government posts. His party is growing at a very fast rate, so I don't know, but guess there will be party members standing for election.

2. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

It sounds like a very unstable government in waiting.

3. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

I like your optimism brother.......and I wish you all the best in making the right decision.......you will always sell your Scottish products on the british isles and I for one would take a leaf out of icelands book and boot out the Rothschild run banking system you currently have in place>>>>>>>I can assure you that will have good friends in the Scandinavian countries who have plenty of natural resources, that a great back up if the threats from London still remain of cutting off forms of business just 2make you suffer.............FCUK Westminster.

ps......kick out trident and its nuclear base and you`ll have a friend in Russia 2 <laugh>.....that`ll put a smile on the Zionist bullingdon boys faces

4. aberdude

seems that fking old crow tesa may is spouting off on her crap again..........grammer fking schools in this day and age I tell ew <doh>

5. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

To be fair, she's consistent...

6. aberdude

she is that <ok>..........consistently right wing............anyways after yesterdays attack she did say the british people are hardy and we wont get scared of terrorism, which is good of here and very easy 2 say when you have protection from such attacks..............but us the worker ants aint so fking lucky, because we take the brunt of our governments overseas greedy Zionist policies <ok>............but hey ho we got the numbers being the masses 2 take the carnage I suppose <the disposable class of people so 2 speak>

7. Bolton's Boots

http://archive.is/O8Qha

Tories gearing up for next month's council elections. They really do have some 'questionable' candidates - and not just these ones...

8. superhorns

She is probably the last person anyone would want to kidnap, that irritating voice, Nooooooooooo

9. superhorns

Leftist candidate Mélenchon is gaining support in the upcoming French presidential election, he now ties with the fiddling Fillon. He has also joined Le Pen in demanding a referendum on the country's membership of the EU. Le Pen is still favourite to win the first round with Macron tipped to be president. Macron would be the worst possible choice regarding the future relationship with the UK. Hopefully they can find some dirt on him in the next few weeks.

10. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Is that really how your mind operates????

11. superhorns

Yes, it does seem that most French politicians are fiddling so it would be beneficial for the UK if the scandal was sooner rather than later. Macron showed his inexperience and hostility towards the UK on his recent visit. He is clearly the worse option.

12. zen guerrilla

zen guerrilla Well-Known Member

That 37% of the electorate was 52% of those who got of the arses and bothered to vote. You could equally say only 34% of the electorate wished to stay in the EU. I get angry at the widely held assumption that by not voting meant keep the status quo, it means the voter could not be bothered.

The European referendum showed again that a protest vote can cause problems for the political mainstream, just look at the election of Jacques Chirac. He may have gained the highest vote of any French presidential candidate ever, but if the population could have been bothered in the first place they would not have had a choice between Jacques Chirac and Jean Marie Le Pen, who must rank as equalling Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump as the worst candidate pairing ever. My French friends weren't voting for Chirac, they were voting for the not Le Pen candidate, a truly fantastic alternative.

13. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Le Pen is the worst option.... and Macron would probably be better than the present incumbent

14. superhorns

The drunkard Gerard Depardieu would be better than the incumbent!!!!

15. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

As things stand at the moment, Macron is showing that he will gather 60% plus against Le Pen on less than 40% in the second round, so you had better get used to him. He said over the weekend that he would hand over the agreement between France and the UK on border control to the EU, saying that he didn't wish to have a separate arrangement. Zen of course is right when he says that people join forces to keep the FN out. While she relies on the Russians to fund her party because no bank here will touch her with a barge pole, she is rightly treated with deep suspicion, except by the right wingers.

16. Bolton's Boots

I think you've taken me slightly out of context there, I did mention something similar earlier in the post.

Re the 34% - I do realise that, but guess I should have taken it a step further by saying a FPTP post result shouldn't apply - it should be as it was for eg the first Scottish referendum, which required a minimum 60% vote in favour. IIRC, the Yes vote won by 52:48, but ended up on the losing side.

As for the 'voter could not be bothered' - I'm still convinced that many more would have bothered had it not been an advisory referendum.

17. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I think that's being dishonest. I would have been in favour of the 60% tolerance on such an important matter but to say people purposely could not be bothered because they thought it was just an advisory referendum i'm not having that.

I could accept the theory people could not be bothered as they thought their vote wouldn't count/didn't know what the EU stood for/thought it would be overwhelming yes but i think the advisory referendum thing is clutching at straws.

18. Bolton's Boots

Have it or not - that's your choice. My opinion isn't a theory, it's based on my certain knowledge that there were plenty in this area who didn't vote for just that reason - and plenty of those regretted not voting after the result was known. If that happened here, there is nothing to say that it couldn't have happened elsewhere.

19. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee have today issued their detailed report on lessons learned from the EU Referendum. What it says in brief is that it was shambolic and one should never be held again in the same manner. "Parliamentary sovereignty, and the associated principle that no Parliament can bind a successor, makes the concept of a legally binding referendum impossible in theory."

20. superhorns

It was made perfectly clear by both sides that the referendum would not be treated as advisory. Cameron even said he would invoke article 50 the day after if the leave side won. I have not met anyone who did not think the vote was decisive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.