1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

It isn't often that a presidential candidate calls a press conference to urge a foreign government to commit espionage. I think there's a word for that...

I mean, say what you will about Nixon, but he made sure that the theft and espionage jobs stayed in America.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

I know we only see select snippets over here but Donald Trump is an embarrassment to America and I am amazed he just might become President. Crazy times.

3. tiggermaster

tiggermaster Well-Known Member

Come on people, just take a look... Trump = Psychosis, Clinton = On the make, but in a sane kind of way ...

You pays your money and..

Archers Road likes this.
  4. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  5. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

I don't see how Clinton could "knock it out of the park."

The remaining Sanders holdovers are never going to vote for her at this point. The moderate Republicans are only voting for her because of Trump. They disagree with her policies and the Democratic platform so nothing she can say will win them over. I just don't think there are many voters who are saying "I want to vote for Clinton... she just needs to show me something." Clinton is a pretty good speaker, she's been giving good speeches all along. Especially I mean, the competition is Trump. So if it hasn't helped her up until now, it won't help her now either.

I feel like the majority of the undecideds left are more looking for a reason NOT to vote Clinton and to vote Trump, as opposed to the reverse. The appropriate analogy is that the Democrats are up 1-0, down to 10 men, and just hoping they can park the bus for 15 minutes and ride out the clock.

6. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Trump supporters, "they took our jerbs"

nsfw in some parts.......

Saints_Alive and TheSecondStain like this.
  7. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Brexiters also.

8. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

With Corbyn looking unbeatable as leader of Labour it has been reported that the PLP are thinking of going to court over the brand name "The Labour Party."

Did I not say (or suggest) that this would boil down to ownership of the brand name?

9. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

For me, PM Teresa May made her first prime ministerial good move yesterday. She put the decision of Hinkley C on hold, for the time being. And for my money, she can let it stay there. Or cancel it. Way before it became operational it would be almost as obsolete as the coal-fired power stations it would be built to replace. And it would be producing the costliest per unit electricity of any station in history. Already, alternative means of electricity generation are cheaper or going that way. One or two of the existing ones are set to jump in efficiency within the next few years. Solar cells are presently at best around 36%. There has been word escaping that 96% efficiency is being achieved under a new process. That would basically cure the energy production problem on its own. Batteries, on the other hand, are still lagging behind, but they have improved dramatically in recent years too. But there are plenty of other methods of producing clean electricity, as well as technology which actually extracts 99.99% of the chemicals and dirt out of the air produced by fossil fuel burning power stations, if only they allow the 1% trade off the technology requires to work. You've not heard of it.? IIRC it was invented and developed in Mongolia [but maybe Afghanistan] and has been around for about 10-15 years. The USA, Germany, France invested in it. Typically, the UK haven't. Then we have the E-Cat QuarkX, the domestic electricity generator which should blow the whole thing asunder when it finally gets going, with electricity production at a couple of pence per unit. Last year the UK officially became aware of the E-Cat and similar methods, though they keep it quiet. Clean, low cost energy is on the horizon. Unlike Hot Nuclear Fusion it isn't 50 years away still [that's always 50 years away], but within 3-10. And also unlike HNF all of the alternative methods have each produced more electricity for the tiniest fraction of investment money that HNF still receives. Hinkley C won't be needed.

10. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

What makes Trump such a threat is that the movement is not actually about Trump. It's about sticking a middle finger up to the supposed establishment at any cost.

So the stupider Trump is, the more he offends people, and the more his supporters like him.

11. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

BobbyD and Whiteley Saint like this.
  12. TheSecondStain

Hopefully he's too stupid to realise that.

13. ImpSaint

All this talk of worries about Chinese involvement are an excuse. This is purely about the new government not wanting anymore of these projects that the public know are siphoning public money into the private sector. If we want to build hospitals or power stations we should be borrowing the money and not agreeing to insane PFI type deals that cost more. Nothing to do with Chinese involvement. All to do with the public being onto this sort of deal.

14. ImpSaint

HE doesn't need to realise it. Hillary is looking more doomed each time she turns out. She is now coming out with some of Trump's own ideas and he is making fun of her in his own speeches.

In his speech yesterday he was saying that on the first day of the democrats conference he tweeted (or commented) that there was no American flag to be seen on stage. Then before the next speaker an American Flag was rushed into position. He then went on to joke about how over the course of the week more and more American flags appeared and that by the time of Hillary's speech there were flags everywhere.

15. TheSecondStain

Don't think I mentioned Chinese involvement.

16. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

Trump only has two "ideas." 1) Build a wall to keep immigrants out that Mexico will pay for, 2) Lower highest tax rate to 25%.

Both of those ideas are 1) Completely idiotic and 2) The opposite of the Democratic platform.

Whiteley Saint likes this.
  17. ImpSaint

I know you didn't but every other media or establishment source is making it all about Chinese involvement being the worry. Another smokescreen.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  18. ImpSaint

Clinton was first with her "barrier" so how is it the opposite of the Democratic platform? It might be now it suits to be so but it hasn't been before. I do agree building any kind of wall is idiotic though.

And she is now warbling on about wanting to sort out these unfavourable trade deals..........when she was the one championing them after taking a lead role in their creation.

And the lowering of the highest tax rate is already part of the way neo lefties work because the high rankers don't pay much tax at all anyway.

19. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

You believe want you want to believe. Just know that Trump himself doesn't believe it.

20. TheSecondStain

A bit like Boris Johnson not believing his own tripe. Yet he went through with it. I don't understand that mentality. They adopt a philosophy just to gain power for themselves. In Johnson's case, it backfired, then came good, of sorts. However, I believe he's being given enough rope. Well, here's hoping anyhow.