1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

2. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take the bet as the odds wouldn't be worth it, is what I meant.

3. Whiteley Saint

Oh I see. I thought you meant you didn't think he would. :)

Beef likes this.
  4. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

With the Russian fleet on its way to the Eastern Mediterranean for a possible showdown with the USA, could Putin be playing Trump's "trump" card that could have a bearing on the outcome of the US Presidential election. Trump and Putin want to see the destruction of ISIS, while Clinton and Obama want to depose Assad, whom Russia supports. Clinton wants a no-fly zone, but how is the US going to implement that if the Russians are flying their jets bombing apparent rebel areas in Syria. It is all scheduled to be played out as close as possible to Election Day in the USA. Trump could have the final laugh if the US is on the verge of squaring up to the Russians. It could lose Hilary millions of votes.

5. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Trump would first have to be able to focus on the issue long enough to get people behind him, which seems highly doubtful. Because I mean, if he could do that he would have won. His popularity has never hinged on his relation with Putin. Or to the extent it has, it has cost him more votes than it has given him.

But even if he manage to stay on Russia as a talking point, I don't know how he expands his base with this. The traditional conservative (which is what Trump needs) is somewhat war-hawkish and anti-Communist.

The pro-Trump, pro-Russia narrative kind of hinges on Russia willing to be semi-friendly and turn their attention to fighting a common enemy, as opposed to fighting us. And that Russia is not at all attempting to meddle in US affairs and the DNC was hacked by someone else. But if Russia is actually threatening the US then that narrative crumbles.

If a conflict with Russia is seen as a serious possibility, it probably swings votes in Clinton's favor as an international crisis would require a seasoned, steady (even if "corrupt") hand. I think for most Americans, Trump with the nuclear codes during a serious international crisis is the exact nightmare scenario that prevents them from voting for him.

Putin is just throwing his weight around. Disrupting the US, causing fear, sending a warning to the US that Russia won't be pushed around, inspiring patriotic feelings in his country etc.. These are all things that help Putin regardless of who wins the election. Plus it's something what he wants to do anyway for Russia's own direct interests.

The Ides of March likes this.
  6. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

You may well be right!! You are right regarding Putin inspiring patriotic feelings in Russia. Certainly in the past few years there has been considerable spending on the military to the detriment of improving its internal infrastructure - crumbling roads and bridges, university buildings that need modernising and made safe, cleaning up abandoned industrial sites, dealing with polluted water systems and so on. Furthermore, I think Putin should do more to make Russia more European in outlook, after all it is in Russia's interests to deal with its wealthier European neighbours which in turn would increase Russia's wealth.

At the same time, Nato was wrong to bring its armies right up to the Russian border, this leading Russia to focus on its military. It is a great shame. My own feeling is that it would benefit the world in general to try and coax Russia to join the EU. Russia just needs to drop its hositlity towards this trading and economic bloc. Its people would love the opportunity of moving across Europe without the bureaucratic procedures they have to endure now.

7. Whiteley Saint

Nissan has confirmed it will build the new Qashqai model - as well as the X-Trail SUV - at its Sunderland plant in the first major decision for the car industry since the Brexit vote.

The decision will secure 7,000 jobs, with the possibility of more to be created, following "support and assurances from the UK government".

Building the X-Trail is an unexpected addition to the Sunderland line-up.

Good News! (if you live in Sunderland). :)

8. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Just proves what rubbish was in the papers the other week when they said they where probably relocating abroad.

9. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Just proves they are probably getting huge incentives to stay. You have to remember we haven't even left the EU yet.

Oh look I was right....

Automotive News has an interesting bit about the Sunderland situation:

The UK government has given Nissan a written commitment of extra support in the event that Brexit reduces the competitiveness of the Sunderland plant, in return for new production investments, a source with knowledge of the matter told Reuters. In addition to unconditional investment aid, Britain pledged to offer further relief if the terms of Britain's exit from the EU ended up harming the plant's performance, the source said.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    davecg69 likes this.
  10. saintrichie123

And also being out of the EU means car manufacturers in the UK don't have to pay a tariff to the EU for each car sold in Europe.
    The prime minister of Japan started the doom and gloom saying if Japanese companies would pull out the UK if concessions were not given to Japanese companies, our government to attract global employers has cut deals for years for companies so nothing new here really.

11. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Um we are paying more to keep them here. Which we wouldn't if we were in the EU. That is my point

12. saintrichie123

Roll back to 2008 in the recession when all car manufacturers in the UK except Honda were given large sums of money (millions) from our government to help to remain in the UK....as I said the help has been there for years...nothing new.

13. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

May’s student deportation programme in tatters as legal appeal falls apart

A long-running programme to deport foreign students from the UK on the basis of hearsay evidence was in ruins today, after the appeal court ruled against the Home Office.

The decision to quietly shelve the legal challenge is a damning moment for Theresa May, who presided over the department when it used flimsy evidence to threaten tens of thousands of foreign students with detention and deportation.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2016...eportation-programme-in-tatters-as-legal-appe

14. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

It's way, way more than 7,000 jobs in that area when you consider the indirect jobs and ancillary jobs too.

It is good news in my opinion, whichever way the government have cut it.

Whiteley Saint and Velcro Roy like this.
  15. Whiteley Saint

http://news.sky.com/story/tony-blair-says-staying-in-the-eu-must-remain-an-option-10635068

Tony Blair saying that if Brexit doesn't look good we should reserve the right to remain. Presumably he want's a second referendum once the Brexit details are known. Personally I think it's too late for that even though I voted remain. The risks were advised before the referendum and people voted to leave anyway. The sooner it is sorted out and the uncertainty is over the better.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37796836

The first Brexit challenges dismissed by the High Court.

16. tiggermaster

tiggermaster Well-Known Member

Ah I've got it! It's why they can't give the 360 million per week, they promised, (really 185 million), to the health service, they have to give it to Nissan and whomever else as a large employer hints it might relocate to Europe. I wonder why 51.9% of the population didn't twig or more sadly didn't care...

17. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Depends if the amount of "help" aka cash has increased. Don't get me wrong it's great people get to keep their jobs. But they would have if we had stayed in the EU as well. So for me it feels many have basically made things harder for no reason.

tiggermaster likes this.
  18. breconsaint

breconsaint Active Member

Good old "trust me Tony" eh?

It's like waiting for a bus. You wait 40 years for a referendum and you get two coming together <laugh>. (Well you do if you deliver the "wrong" result)

19. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Of course the manufacturers will ask for more and gain more concessions. They probably will incur more costs if UK leaves the UE. Transition costs if nothing else.

But they would do it anyway, for no other reason than they know they have the UK over a barrel right now.

20. Whiteley Saint

You're always so optimistic for us over here in the UK. We'll all be throwing ourselves in the sea soon it's so bad.