1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

When I say Trump effect I mean coming from nowhere to win.

2. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Just seen a few clips of Paxman and Corbyn on Twitter. Paxman is an utter knob. He thinks he's the don of interrogations, he was just a rude man begging for sound bites, with some faux sense of authority and achievement if Corbyn didn't directly answer his strange questions. Particularly when he was surprised the manifesto was not some dictatorial script totally in tune with all of Corbyn's views and with no input from his party. Bizarre.

I'll watch it all on catch up tomorrow as I haven't seen how May fared and I may have only seen the lowlights from Paxman but I won't hold my breath on that.

3. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

You bunch of bastards. How dare you give me hope?

I watched every moment of the programme last night. I'd originally said I'd watch it for 20 minutes or so until the format naffed me off, yet I was hooked. I was hooked watching a man I thought stood no chance of winning becoming a winner. Then I watched in shock as St Theresa The Strong of Stable fell apart.

But come on. Labour to win? A political party with a radical new direction that will be pilloried by the press might win? I'm a Saints fan. I know all about false hope. I don't need this in politics. So bugger off with your false hope. Someone assure me that the vacuous idiot that is St T will win a landslide as surely as next year's winners of the Premier League will not be Huddersfield Town. Then order and calm will be restored.

I mean, he couldn't, could he .....................?

4. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

You may well be right , but even if labour Lose , I think it will be far closer than I ever thought it would be . Still I am dreaming until the worst happens :)

ImpSaint and Archers Road like this.
  5. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Huddersfield town to be crowned the next PL Champions . You heard it here first <whistle>

Archers Road likes this.
  6. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Copied this off Facebook. It made I laugh, but has a ring of truth to it. The bit about how things are reported, that is, unless JC really can walk on water!

HOW THE PAPERS AND THE BBC REPORT STUFF

The Pope and Jeremy Corbyn are enjoying lunch at a street-side café by the Thames. During the lunch, a gust of wind blows the Pope's hat off. It soars up into the air, before coming down in the middle of the river where it floats at least 60 yards away.
    The Pope's security team rush to find a boat, but Jeremy waves them off, saying "It's OK, boys, I'll get it." He climbs over the wall of The Embankment, down a ladder, and then WALKS ON THE WATER, picks up the hat, walks back on the water, climbs up the ladder onto dry land, and hands the hat back to the Pope, whose security team and entourage are rendered speechless by what they've just witnessed.
    In the evening, BBC News reports the story with the headline:
    JEREMY CORBYN CAN'T SWIM

7. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

While it might sound bad Labour need to be equal to the Tories not close to have any chance because their votes tend to herd around certain areas so they win big in many constituencies yet the rest of the seats they aren't even in the running. The last election showed a prime example of how despite getting 232 seats the map was entirely blue with a few red spots where Labour's seats are all grouped together.

8. ImpSaint

No spin? HE has the youngsters on his side and working hard for him on social media yet he is at heart anti-EU!! And banging on about worker's rights being at risk despite the UK either bringing those rights in way before the EU or the UK being the main driver behind the EU implementing a lot of these laws.

Do you think he is now an EU supporter? Or just keeping quiet about what he really thinks?

9. ImpSaint

Conservatives will win but they aren;t going to get the 400+ landslide. At the moment they might not even get the 360 increase. If they only get 330 from the position they were in at the beginning then Theresa May will be a dead man walking just as Cameron was when he failed to win a majority in 2010.

And hopefully by the time she gets the push my favourite Kwasi Kwarteng will be in a position to take over.

10. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Tories need Tony Blair, as there is no one of prime ministerial calibre in their ranks. As for Blow-Jo he will soon be out of politics altogether as he sees how much more rewarding it is to be a writer, after-dinner speaker, TV celebrity and indulge in some wine. I expect there is already a TV company out there ready to employ him on a series about the best wines of the world.

ImpSaint likes this.

11. The Ides of March

As for politicians changing sides, Churchill did it several times. Peter Hain switched to Labour from the Liberals, Reg Prentiss went from Labour to Conservative, and there have been several others through the ages.

12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Churchill did it once, but remained a liberal (small l) at heart. He was an outsider in his adopted party, and would probably have remained so had it not been for WWII.

Simon Hughes did it (Lab to Lib Dem), and remained constituency MP for Bermondsey for over 30 years, eventually losing his seat to Labour in 2010 (thank you Nick Clegg).

Shirley Williams and David Owen did it and destroyed their careers.

Douglas Carcrash does it every 5 minutes but I think he's sunk himself now.

It's not generally an effective career move for a politician Ides.

13. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

He has at no point said anything against the EU in this campaign, just that he accepts the Brexit vote and that he will get a better deal than May can on the terms of leaving. May is doing everything wrong as far as negotiating the deal is concerned, by making herself out to be such a hard case. That is not the approach to take on entering negotiations. Her performance in her interviews doesn't bode well for getting concessions out of the EU team either.

I think Labour can win this election outright, provided they get the younger (under 40) voters out. The polls put Labour ahead in that age group while the Tories lead consists of the older demographic, who are historically more likely to actually go out and vote.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  14. The Ides of March

Thank you Archers'. It was a tongue in cheek remark but the stock of quality in the Conservative cupboard is very bare that they really should have a replacement lined up just in case. Most of their better ones went in 2015 - Hague, Willets and Mark Hoban.

Archers Road likes this.
  15. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Churchill actually switched party twice. He entered parliament in 1900 as a Conservative, crossed to the Liberals in 1904 and then switched back to the Conservatives in 1924.

16. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

"In the Tory manifesto, the only numbers are the page numbers."

ImpSaint likes this.
  17. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

Theresa May can't be asked how she's going to pay for something that will help the people because she's not doing anything to help the people!

Archers Road and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  18. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. The dementia tax could have swung it, but none of the old farts can remember what it was! I am ashamed of my age group. We have had every advantage of a welfare state bestowed upon us, and still the majority vote Tory

Archers Road and San Tejón like this.
  19. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I do love the impartiality in here.... anyone going to discuss JC's embarrassing fumble over childcare costs today?

In the interest of fair debate, maybe they should.

Yours

Undecided from Northampton.

ImpSaint and Schrodinger's Cat like this.
  20. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

I prefer an honest mistake to an outright lie :)

BobbyD, Ian Thumwood and San Tejón like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. StJabbo1