1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Pompey v Argyle

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, May 10, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Come on sensible I couldn't wait any longer.

We have had a couple of weeks to get over missing out on automatic promotion.....so has Derek Adams been able to fire them up for this one.

Points to ponder.

1.....Adams has a full squad to select from.....that is what is being said....accept of course Brunt.

2.....Some key players where rested for most of the Hartlepool game.

3.....Adams had a serious look at Dorel, Rooney, Harvey and Purrington in match conditions.... and they all did well. Rooney playing his debut match and scoring twice....one of them contender for goal of the season, Harvey also scored twice and seems to have benefitted from his loan spell at Bath, Purrington also started like the other two did and although he has had a piece part more regularly he proved that he can be relied upon, Dorel also did well as a debutant and saved some good shots....so a promising start to cover for Luke when injured or out of form.

4.....Adams will possibly revert to his regular starting line-up at Fratton Park....but will feel more confident that he has players on the bench who could come on and do a job if necessary.....good to have players pushing for a start.

5.....They must not get too confident about last Saturdays result.....Hartlepool haven't rocked to many boats this season.....and had nothing to play for other than their futures at Hartlepool......but scoring goals against any side can only bring confidence to a side that have not always scored enough goals against weaker teams than on Saturday......we had a poorer goals for record than the teams above us and that equated to the equivelent of another point....so could have still gone against us if we had tied on points for promotion.

6.....Lets hope our defence become real misers against Pompey over the next two games.....last year we all know how we where blown away in the play-offs by letting in three goals at home.....finishing any serious challenge for Wembley....and losing at Wycombe as well....a real damp squid. We have shown Portsmouth very recently that we can beat them at Fratton...although reasonably fortunate it might of been....it will just remind them that they have been vunerable at home all season....just like us....and maybe we both could have gone up automatically.....what we do know is that one of us aint getting to Wembley this year....and we definately want it to be us who take one more step towards Div 1.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think you are reading too much into last Saturday with all due respect Plym. Adams played the kids to rest the others and ensure none of them picked up a red or an injury. I don't think he wanted to look at anyone. He is too chicken to want to play any of them and you can bet your life on the fact that the usual suspects will be back in the room for these games. I also don't think the Hartlepool game was a warm up for anything either. This is a two game shoot out for a third game shoot out one off. I don't think Portsmouth should be judged on previous anymore than Argyle. Whoever has the bottle will probably win the day. Forget form, forget goals for and against because it counts for nothing now.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It seems away goals don't count double at any stage...

It appears we get 12.5% of the TOTAL gate receipts for the 2 semi-final gamesadded together i.e. Pompey and PAFC will share what I assume will be bigger gates with Wimbledon & Accrington.

We will get 25% of the gate receipts of the Wembley game, if we get there. Again, what a shame it's not Pompey in the final rather than the semi.

In neither case is TV money included: we're deemed to have already had that via the annual payout!

http://www.football-league.co.uk/global/playoffrules.aspx

4. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Who gets all the money of the remainder? the FL i suppose for their jollies? it should be shared equally among the 4 clubs in the playoffs.. all of it..

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  5. notDistantGreen

The money not given to the play-off candidates goes into "The Pool" which I take it is shared amongst all the clubs somehow.

6. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

The two games between our two sides will I imagine produce far bigger gates than those between Accrington and Wimbledon.

So, why on earth should Accies and the Wombles share the entire pot with our two clubs ? <steam>

Totally unfair to my mind - anyone agree :huh:

7. Greenarmyjoe

I agree Wooperts, We should have the share of our games and them their games.. I doubt their share will cover the referee cost.. Shame our game was not the final as it would have been a big crowd.. now one of us will take a lot of support when from the other tie not many..

I suppose its the way the men at the FL want it, they will get their share i suspect.. a big brown envelope.. :emoticon-0146-punch

8. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Agree Joe, a Pompey v Argyle Wembley final would have produced a huge crowd, a lively atmosphere, a cracking game of football, and a decent pay day for both clubs..............and the FL.

Whoever wins our play-off games, should hopefully win the final, and get promoted out of this depressing division.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  9. Greenarmyjoe

Well i hope so, the support will be great and a good atmosphere at both games.. Its all about the one who holds their nerve on the day. At your place it may be a bit cagey but the second leg will be a good one.. All the best and enjoy it. :emoticon-0150-hands hopefully you still come and speak after the result? :emoticon-0147-emo:

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I would like to think there will be a good atmosphere at both grounds and any dick heads will be sorted soonest. The sharing of the proceeds is pants when you think that the Accrington v Wimbledon games are likely to produce possibly 10000 over two legs at most. Our matches will produce more than that each leg and will likely total over 35000. Quite what the FA does to earn it's 50% of it all god only knows. As for Wembley I would doubt either of those two would bring a 5 figure crowd but either Pompey or us will take over 30000 if not 40000. Reminds me of our last appearance against Darlington. We took over 30000 then.

11. notDistantGreen

The 2 things I remember about our last play off at Wembley were Ronnie Mauge's head popping up from a crowd scene to nod the winner and the semi-Mexican wave. Our end was full, theirs was almost deserted and incapable of carrying it around their end.

12. notDistantGreen

I tell a lie: 3 things. The M4 turned into a river of green.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Adams talking today (Wed)... said he new who would be playing Thursday evening....before Saturdays thumping of Hartlepool.....no real surprises there then....we all know roughly on paper and on form who we expect to be in the starting line up.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

One memory that sticks with me is our coach driver for that 1996 match. He steadfastly refused to stop anywhere virtually until one bloke tole him he'd p**s down his neck if he didn't. We pulled over into Reading Services and he let us out. There was a queue for the bog outside the building for about 50 yards. I have never seen such a dash for the trees in all my life. The whole Service Station was awash with greens. The driver wasn't so uptight on the way back but wherever you were it was crowded with people in green and the atmosphere on the M4 was terrific. I didn't lose the smile on my face until the following morning and I hadn't had one drop of alcohol all day. I hardly remember the goal and the game was a load of pants it was that boring. But as with all things, the result outweighs the performance. I do remember the signing at the end though. Queen, Tina Turner......Status Quo.....

15. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Think we were on the same coach sensible-our driver was particularly miserable as well. When we got to the outskirts of London he also confessed that he wasn't entirely sure of the way to Wembley but we made it okay by following all the rest of the green traffic. You are correct, it was a dull game except for Ronnie's header and the singing.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's weird how the strangest things stick in your mind more than others. One was in a queue in the ground with a bloke behind a refreshment kiosk counter trying to tell a janner that a sausage roll was a pastie. The bloke telling him where he could stick his pastie. After being dropped off at Home Park on return having to walk home at about 11pm. Takes me about 30 minutes from where I live. A bloke pulled up alongside me and said "what was the score mate". Me telling him to buy a paper because if he didn't know by then he wasn't a fan anyway. I've always been obliging but janners like that I can do without. The M4 was like a convoy situation with scarfs hanging out of car windows everywhere and people tooting for fun at every opportunity. It's a great day out but only if you win.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Right we are on the edge of kick off time (ish) now and her in doors has allowed me a five minute window on the computer. I have sold out to the devil which is Sky and will be heading off to No1 son's after me tea to watch the game. All I can say is I hope it is a good game on both days and the away fans arrive to and fro safely. May the best team win and go on to Wembley and glory. I've just wiped a small tear away.........it's so emotional isn't it.

18. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

My computer is warmed up ready to listen to hopefully Mr Sparks

19. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Feeling calm, Sky warmed up and ready to go, and a few cold beers in the fridge.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1-0 down in three minutes.

H/T......winning 2-1....(Matt2).