1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Pompey v Argyle

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, May 10, 2016.

1. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

He should have been sent off. In fact it would be hard to argue that Plymouth should be down to 9 possibly 8 with that ankle breaker.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Be honest pompeymeowth wouldn't you be embarrassed if you were out somewhere and somebody brushed your head and you fell on the floor as if he had hit you with a pick axe? Isn't a player dragging you around by your leg also violent conduct as well? I mean he could have pulled his leg right off with the force he used...... Lets not spoil things with a load of whinging. That's the third penalty you have had against us this season so far. Only in football would a hand on the chest force a player to the floor. Bit it was a penalty this time. I hate to see any players begging the referee for a Red card or a booking. That's what Johnny Foreigner does and it's not pretty.

Anyway to the game itself. I thought Argyle were good for at least a draw at halftime. We had our moments as did Pompey but it was fairly even stevens for me. We were a bit fortunate to go in two one up but the Pompey keeper was a bit crap so not totally surprising. The second half was a completely different story. That was Pompey's half by a mile or more. No shock when it became two each but the shock was that it stayed like that. All we did was pump it up the pitch to nowhere and of course it came back. No composure at all and often the wrong choices made. Pompey played very well and if they do the same down here then we will be in trouble. Game on for Sunday then.

As an aside, I thought the Officials did well under a bit of pressure tonight. Linos who actually gave decisions.....what's that all about. I haven't seen one of those at Home Park yet this season. The Ref wasn't intimidated either.

3. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

I think 2-2 was a pretty 'fair ' outcome. Thank goodness we had a sensible ref- other refs would have had us down to 8 men but I actually think he got 2 of the 3 decisions correct. Gary Sawyer;s tackle was the only real red card offence. Perhaps if Pompey players spent less time trying to get players sent off the refs might be more inclined to actually issue the cards. Yes it was a headbut, but in mitigation Matt was fouled and then manhandled by Pompey players before he retaliated in a fairly lame way-the pompey player went down and feigned injury like he had been scalped...just saying.
    The one match shootout on Sunday is sure to be feisty affair.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Big shout out to Sky for subcontracting the commentary to the Portsmouth Supporters Club. Contact for the "penalty" was outside box, Sawyer's tackle no worse than Pompey's in first half. Red clearly saw the so called headbutt and spoke to both players. No question of video review. F***ing disgrace.

5. pompeymeowth

Staff Member

Nothing like football to cloud our judgement eh! Only thing is most reports on the game agree with how I saw it but they could all be wrong I suppose.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Well it's all about opinion mate. Boot on other foot and the decision would have been ??????

7. pompeymeowth

Staff Member

I would have considered us very lucky to get out of it were I a Plymouth fan. But you did and good luck at Wembley if we lose the 2nd leg. If it's the same ref that's a nailed on I should think.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It won't be down to the officials it will be down to your players failing to put the ball in the net when they were so far on top. The gulf between the teams was embarrassing at times and we should have been buried. We weren't and that's down to players. Technically speaking making contact with another head with your's is a headbutt. I did say technically. But, the chances of any sort of hurt let alone injury being caused by that tonight was absolute zero. My Mrs who is only 8 stone would have laughed at that. Your player though fell to the ground as if his head had come off and he had to get down there to find it. Don't you honestly find that embarrassing? The player should and in reality, forgetting the technicality bit for a second, what your player did was simulation. There is no way he more than felt the contact but thought he should fall over just the same. The penalty decision and only yellow was right for me. There was every possibility another defender would have got there and just being last man is not an automatic Red. Sawyer's tackle was a bit naughty. Not sure how much malice there was in it but it was naughty just the same. Definate booking and possible Red. Seen loads of tackles like that without the red being offerred. Seen loads where it is. Players imploring referees for cards though is not a nice sight. Your's do it a bit too often or did tonight.

The second half at Home Park is set up to be a cracking affair. I just hope that both sides are up for it. All to play for and you have as much chance of going to Wembley as we have. Not sure I'd bet my house on a result either way.

9. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

2-2 draw. Cracking game of football. End to end stuff. Fantastic atmosphere from both sets of supporters.

Jamal Matt should not have been on the pitch though to score his goals - shocking headbutt on Michael Doyle should have been a straight red card, but the weak/blind referee was more interested in sending off your coach and our manager <steam>

Still, on to the second leg on Sunday. It's not over yet :)<ok>

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Did you know that the Coach in question is Paul Wotton Wooperts. We sold him to Southampton in his playing days.......obviously why he got the hump with your Manager.<whistle>

11. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

No doubt the FL will be looking at the so called Head Butt. If a player goes down like that for the slightest touch, hope fully there is not a gale on Sunday at Plymouth..as they will be blown over. Let us see what the old farts decide at FL, it will be a disgraceful decision if he is banned..

But a great game, another one to come. Still plenty to play for.. shame it was not the final. Paul Wotton is a bit Fiery and is Plymouth through and through.. its passion.

12. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The only game in England of note last night.....and only a tiny mention in the Telegraph.....not really about the match but should Jamille Matt have been sent off.......Michael Doyle I assume learnt his acting at RADA....the worst type of pro-player....one who tries to get a fellow pro sent off.....he is the one who should be red carded.....but the Ref didn't book any players over the incident....but sent Paul Cook and Paul Wotton to the stands.

If the FA review the incident we could lose Matt for the second leg for what looked like a head butt action.

Reuben Reid being only on the bench suggests to me that he isn't fit enough to start.....surely Reid and Matt would have been the ideal pairing to start if he wasn't still carrying an injury.....he didn't even come on when it was obvious that Matt at the end was running only on fumes.

If we do lose Matt it is hard to see where the goals will come from.....maybe it's time to go broke with Rooney and Harvey.....it would be a brave thing to do.

Three penalties in three games against Portsmouth.....we need to be more careful tackling such vulnerable opposition who have problems not falling over....last nights penalty was probably just outside the box by some of the comments that I have read.

Most important game on Sunday since administration....we desperately need to win this one.....Accrington or AFC Wimbledon cannot be any harder than Pompey.....I think our chances improved when Rovers got the third spot.....we just need to play with conviction as the home team....we would have walked promotion with just a little more strength at home.

13. notDistantGreen

There was an equally bad tackle by Portsmouth (raised foot, studs showing and a follow through with the trailing leg) in the first half. I will look at the recording and name names. I think it was totally unpunished by the ref.

The FA can't review the so called head butt as it was clearly seen by the ref who even spoke to the 2 players involved - and I emphasise 2 as Doyle not only dragged Matt around by his legs but also clearly simulated being hit on the head with a lump hammer. The Portsmouth manager stated after the game that his players and those on the bench "were trying to get the player sent off". Obviously he doesn't see anything wrong in that. The average fan won't agree on the principle although some may go a bit colour-blind when it's their own team.

I thought that when a player or presumably a club official was sent off, they were not allowed to be in contact with the rest of the team. Why was the Portsmouth manager allowed to shout instructions down to the bench from a seat only feet above them?

One thing on the Hartley foul and the penalty. I read that the rules are going to change so that when a penalty is awarded, the scoring chance is deemed to have been restored and no red card will be shown. Where an identical offence occurs outside the box, a free kick doesn't fully balance the lost scoring chance and so a red will be shown. I assumed the rule would change next season. I'm not saying it was a penalty or that Hartley should have been sent off either way, but I wonder if that new rule is already in effect.

We gifted them the first goal and the second wasn't a penalty. We played pretty well in the 1st half and I think Adams tried to park the bus in the 2nd, given he made no attempt to change things. First substitution was in the 80th minute and that was a defensive one, if anything. As long as we don't do anything stupid like trying to dribble out of our own penalty box with 3 minutes on the clock (Curtis Nelson take note), we must have a decent chance on Sunday.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The Ref spoke to both players and therefore took action on the incident at the time. It may not have been the right action in the pure laws of everything but that's not the point. For the FA to act the incident should have gone on unnoticed. If the Ref tries to get out of it by saying he didn't notice that bit then all I can say is show him the photo of him looking straight at them when it occurred and that should jog his memory. It would be wrong for Matt to be singled out and punished for something when other things in a season happen elsewhere and nothing retrospect is dished out. I think both sets of supporters are going to view things with tints on. That's what supporters do isn't it. Tongue in cheek most of the time it has to be said. But, the match was a credit to league 2 and for the nuetral would have made decent viewing. That's what counts and I'm glad my team actually turned up for the game this season and weren't embarrassed. The second half is going to be one cracker with a bit of luck and either side deserves a Wembley appearance if they get there. Which Argyle team will turn up at home though is my one burning question......

15. notDistantGreen

Hollands on Boateng at 25m on the edge of the Portsmouth penalty box "D". Every bit as bad as Sawyer's with the ref 4 feet away - foot raised, studs showing, airborne, minimal contact with ball and on through both of Boateng's legs.

If Sawyer's was a red, so was this - an ugly, ugly tackle that the ref didn't even penalise by a free kick. What do we want? Consistency. When do we want it? All the time, obviously.

PS Watching the game in fast forward is interesting. Firstly, it's surprising how long the ball is in the air. I thought both sides played better football (in the first half at least) but apparently not. Secondly, you can see how much of the play Pompey had but also how incisive our counter attacks were. Should we NOT sneak through to League 1, I shall watch all future games against Wycombe Wanderers this way. Much less painful.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  16. notDistantGreen

The FA will - rightly for once - take no action against Jamille Matt.

Also - Oscar Threlkeld released by Bolton.....

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Good result for Argyle having Jamille Matt available for the second leg.....no action to be taken by the FA.

Interesting about Threlkeld.....I wonder if Adams is interested ?

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

See, all that angst for nothing as predicted.

You should show your kids the video of Wycombe in slowmo notdistant if you want them to settle down and sleep.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've just read that the Referee reported that he didn't see the head contact bit. Now I'm Pee'd off with him. That is a downright lie and he knows it. The pictures from Sky show him looking directly at the two players when it happens. It is undisputable that he absolutely did see it. He is covering his arse by trying to play the didn't see it card. The FA got it right in the end. Lets just get on with part 2. Can't get over the fact that I actually praised the officials previously. I take it all back now the Ref was a dick. :steam:

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Fancy the Ref letting you down sensible....for the first time this season.....<steam>......:headbang:.....:rolleyes:.