1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Pompey v Argyle

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, May 10, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

If he didn't see it, why did he speak to Cook and Matt? Cook was NOT the Pompey player involved in the original tackle and tussle on the ground.

The incident with Cook ended with Matt resting his head on Cook's, apart of course from Cook's pretend fractured skull agonies. If he saw any of it, he saw the touch of heads. If he saw none of it, why did he speak to them?

Lying *******

2. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

The league rarely go against a ref as they hate admitting that one of their golden boys made a mistake. I still maintain he should have been sent off as the violent intent was so clear. Cook did what the vast majority of players do and egged it up. The penalty, first contact seemed outside the box so we were lucky there, but there was no player between him and the goal so off he should have gone, Dirty tackles, well look at the foul count is all that needs to be said.

Thank god the cricket season is upon us.

PS I do rather like Plymouth's away kit, bit like Fiorentina.

3. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Well perhaps they didn't like it to rough hopefull y the crowd get at the cheat doyle

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The one thing I've noticed in all of this is that nobody from the blue corner has commented on the total over the top falling to the ground clutching the back of his head bit. I take it from that pompeymeowth that you think that's acceptable and condone it. I personally do not agree with any player trying to get another player carded let alone sent off. I don't care if they play for Plymouth or not.

Lets move on to the penalty. I thought it was in the box but it seems there is some dispute on that even conceeded in the blue corner. So that's the second penalty this season you maybe shouldn't have had. If you look at the incident from a sideway view you will notice a couple of Argyle players heading for him rather fast. Nelson is lightening quick and there is a pretty fair chance he would have got there. We will never know but there is enough doubt sown for the Ref to issue a yellow not a red. There is no rule that says just because you are the last man in a line you automatically get a red card. Example. Attacking player out on the wing and runs into the box but is brought down by defender. The nearest other player is 6 yards further up the field. Not directly in front of the goal so cannot be a sure goal scoring chance. In your world that's a red card but the Ref would never give it for obvious reasons.

Sawyer's tackle. Seen it given and seen it not given equally loads of times. 50/50 call for any Ref.

Your players constantly went to the Referee trying to influence him into giving a card of either colour. That's not British or at least it wasn't once upon a time. I thought that was outlawed by the FA a while ago. Manager sent to the stand should have gone there and not interfered with the game thereafter. He did though didn't he but has been let off by the FA when he should have been banned for the next game. No comments made on that either. So, rather selective in one direction me thinks. It all sounds a bit like making your excuses for your teams inability to score when on top. That's why you are in the play offs and not automatically up. Done it all season. This is one of the reasons I hate the play offs. The top teams deserve their promotions without all of this crap. Just promote Accrington and be done with it.

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Shows the injustice of it all tonight with the Accie result so far. They finished 10 whole points clear of Wimbledon and yet trail 1 - 0 at half time. If they fail to get to Wembley how wrong is that morally. They were one of the best sides I saw this season and deserve to go up in reality.

6. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Wow, I didn't realise our manager was actually playing - what game were you at, or were you actually there ? You lot make me laugh.........<laugh>

sensiblegreeny likes this.
  7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

He got confused because Doyle went down like a Cook Wooperts. Nigella I think it was....<cheers>

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  8. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Probably more down to the way they ended in the play-offs sensible.....they looked like they where favourites on paper of the three possible candidates......Oxford looked ok.....but Rovers got there at the last moment pushing Accrington into 4th in the dying seconds of their game......that really hurts and becomes mentally a mountain to climb......and a week wasn't enough for their manager to pick them up from the disappointment of missing out on automatic promotion......the second leg at home for them will be a test of their character.......if they win through... they will then be hard to beat at Wembley.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sensible.... leave Wooperts_duck alone....he obviously condones the attitude of his manager, players and staff in cheating like hell to try and get another player sent off.....the FA didn't see the terrible foul that Jamille Matt supposed to have done on Doyle......Cook was showing the lowest common denominator in trying to win the game by cheating and Paul Wotton was incensed by what he witnessed....isn't two dodgy penalty decisions in one season against us enough ....obviously not.

If Portsmouth win fairly on Sunday best of luck to them at Wembley......but not by more blatant cheating by their players,manager and staff please...enough of that attitude for this season....win by being better on the pitch at football than lying your way to Wembley.

10. notDistantGreen

Let's not forget there was ill-feeling last summer when Cook (sorry, one cheat looks the same as the next to me) tried to unsettle Reuben Reid by expressing a public interest in him, contrary to League rules. I'd pay a lot to see Reid score the winner tonight.....

Also let's not forget Holland's tackle on Boateng in the first half. As bad and probably worse than Sawyer's but completely unpunished by the ref and unremarked upon by the Sky/Pompey combined commentary team.

I'll quote Guy Branston. OK, he played 31 games for PAFC but that's out of a career total of 420 in the lower leagues and he has a tendency to be brutally honest about everyone, including individuals at PAFC, so this isn't an isolated bit of bias.

I think Jamille Matt definitely headbutted Michael Doyle. He's put his head towards him and you're always asking for trouble when you do that.

It's definitely violent conduct in my opinion and Jamille has probably missed a potential trip to Wembley now.

Michael Doyle obviously sucked it all up and made the most of it because that's the sort of player he is. He likes to wind players up like he showed when he was grabbing hold of Jamille's leg.

I think it was very cowardly of Doyle to react like he did; I'd much rather see him focus on his own game.

But unfortunately the game is like that now; it's not about winning tackles any more, it's all about rolling around on the floor trying to get other players sent off by scrummages and handbags at ten paces.

And Paul Cook was the same on the sidelines, he likes to wind people up.

That's what you come to expect from a Portsmouth side under him after what I remember of his time Accrington and Chesterfield.

It's something you have to understand in the heat of the moment, though. Jamille shouldn't have reacted to it all. He shouldn't have bothered pushing his head at him and simply carried on with it.

Surely the team dossier would have come in saying that Michael Doyle is a bit of a wind-up merchant so stay away from him because he's a pest.

11. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Relieved today and hope JM keeps cool later. ...not heard anything but has temporary seating been allocated to the Mayflower terracing, another 2K fans or so would have been ideal? :emoticon-0114-dull:

12. notDistantGreen

They've fiddled around with the Family Area presumably to make a few more seats available - or perhaps to make it more accessible to Pompey fans with kids - but I haven't heard anything about the Mayflower eyesore.

13. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Pacing up and down like a caged Lion at the moment, I wonder why? Getting ready soon as me local showing it live in Malta with a surprisingly Argyle expat community in the town. Tks NonDistant.

14. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Are you a comedy scriptwriter (or Jethro) by any chance Plymborn ? Only, you make me laugh. You may have missed your true vocation in life <cheers>

15. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Hey Plymborn, just found out that your local Specsavers shop now stock some new rose-colored glasses you can purchase and take to the match this evening to enhance your viewing experience. Michael Doyle will be the player dressed as a choirboy!

Enjoy the game <ok>

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Obviously Iv'e touched a raw spot there....you protest to much I thinks.....just settle down a little please.

17. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

Good luck at Wembley guys you deserved it today. We ran out of steam in the 2nd half.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Thanks.........nice to keep a clean sheet and the right time to score......where's that duck fellow when you want him.

19. Greenarmyjoe

Thanks my friend, yes we deserved that today and a great time to score.. I wonder what are friend Donald (duck) will say on this one.. oh we cheated?
    Out played and muscled them again.. :emoticon-0165-muscl:emoticon-0165-muscl

20. Greenarmyjoe

Not a lot wrong with Mchugh tackle either,, he won the ball.. :emoticon-0165-muscl
    :emoticon-0146-punch