1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Pompey v Argyle

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by devonFRATTONiser, Apr 13, 2017.

1. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That was a better read than the live text on BBC - I wish I'd followed it throughout <ok>

2. Libby

Libby 9-0

Fair play MAJR, dedication to the cause <applause>

Decent result for both sides really... still on track <ok>

Wooperts_duck and 3rd eye like this.
  3. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Were Pompey just a tad nervous? In front of the biggest one of the season, they did want to lose this one. Two more wiins to secure the third automatic spot with results going PFC's way today.

4. EastneyPFC

EastneyPFC Well-Known Member

We can do it - lets hope they don't put us through the ringer.....well done MAJR - a task well stuck too - and great updates.

5. The Ides of March

Jumping the gun here, but I feel Cook will relax a bit more in a higher league, so will the players and I fully expect a good season in League 1, even a play-off place but to leap to the Championship and survive will require considerable investment.

6. The Ides of March

Agreed!! Where's Woopert?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  7. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Been at the match Ides. Huge crowd producing a brilliant atmosphere, and a decent game. Think we deserved to win the match, with 22 chances (8 on target) to Argyle's 8 shots (2 on target). We had 67% possession to their 33%, and 9 corners to their 1.

Mind you they beat us on yellow cards 2-1 :)

If we can win at Newport on Easter Monday, then we could clinch promotion next Saturday at home to Cambridge Utd.

8. The Ides of March

Sorry Woopert! I spelt your name incorrecctly!!! From a distance I have been critical of Paul Cook but I am glad that he has managed to silence a lot of his critics, including me, although there will always be some screaming for his head and spouting a lot of rubbish about his lifestyle, something that I did not buy into at the time nor do I now!! He could easily have buckled under the pressure but this shows that he is resolute and this has been reflected in improved performances since the Crewe result.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  9. Libby

Libby 9-0

How many signings do you think you'll need to compete in L1?

I know when we there it was said that there's not much difference between top of league 2 and bottom 8-10 of league 1. Though we never got to find out... <whistle>

I suppose if takeover goes through it could help.

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

Posession doesn't win games tho Woops... we've discovered that plenty of times in recent years!

11. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

I reckon at least half a dozen. Goalkeeper / right back / central midfielder / striker(s) / winger.....

Some free transfers from Championship sides, and first division sides, plus some Premier League youngsters.

12. The Ides of March

I do hope Millwall go up from League 1, so PFC minds are concentrated on footballing matters.

13. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

By the way, well done MAJR for the running thread <ok>

3rd eye likes this.
  14. The Ides of March

A goalkeeper and right back are imperative. Where is the LFC youngster that Pompey acquired on loan? If another forward or two are acquired, I can see Chaplin leaving or being loaned out. Does Cook see a flaw in his personality as he does manage to acquire a few yellow cards and misses penalties so maybe the player needs to do some maturing so a spell away from the club at a similar level to PFC might do him some good? What are your thoughts Woops?

15. EastneyPFC

EastneyPFC Well-Known Member

Ides is right about Paul Cook...also I realised today that he has only been in charge for a very limited time - May 2015 I believe - so his team as it is, is barely 2 years old. We owe the guy a bit of respect - if someone had said give him 2 years and he'll have you on the brink of going up we would all have said yes please. A good game today - a great crowd and Pompey looked great in the sunshine...got homesick.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  16. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

By LFC I presume you mean Liverpool, Ides ? We did have their young keeper Fulton on loan last season, but this season he joined Chesterfield. I believe we only have David Forde on loan from Millwall, and injured striker Eoin Doyle on loan from Preston at the moment, as the young right back on loan from Wolves has gone back to them.

Conor Chaplin is still young, and still learning his trade, and will improve even more next season. He is a prodigious talent, and is one for the future. Hopefully we can hang on to him.

17. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The same as every other season I expect. The usual 30 to 40 to start with..........then see how it goes and get a few more. :D:rolleyes:

18. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

Great atmos yesterday.

I'm watching Southampton Man City right now and you can hear the players calling out to each other, honestly their support is woeful, both sets of supporters.

19. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Saucer of milk, my feline friend? A bit unfair. As someone who was there, there was a lot of stoic defending against a class team and much of our energies were spent preventing the half a yard of space to get a shot away-at least until we had to press for the equaliser. It wasn't an open end to end game which gets the crowd going. And any crowd which sings the same volume regardless of what's happening on the pitch are a strange bunch indeed.

20. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

Having watched the highlights on BBC it did seem louder, but it was still pretty average at best.