1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Positivity!

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Darren Peacock’s Ponytail, May 17, 2015.

1. Graham Carr's Binoculars

Graham Carr's Binoculars Well-Known Member

If we stay up, and that is a big IF then the most positive outcome will be that with 9 points from the 50 odd available John Carver has basically ruled himself out of getting the job full time.

That is the only positive thought I have at the moment.

2. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

You think that will stop Mike? I think he is getting the job regardless.

3. Graham Carr's Binoculars

If it goes to Carver they know crowds will drop to 30k-ish. Charnley talked about learning from mistakes and said he wouldn't go the cheap option when it came to appointing a manager. If he/they went for Carver then Charnley/The Club would lose all credibility (if they have any left to lose) and people genuinely would stop going which would then lead to them not caring. Getting that support back would be near on impossible.

I'd be amazed if he got the job.

4. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Absolutely, there's no question about it. They're all mates and that's all that seems to count in Ashley's world, it's not what you know, it's who you know. I mean, what behaviour of the past 8 years leads anyone to think we'll appoint a decent manager? By all accounts, the whispers from the club are that Carver will be there regardless of coach, so it will follow that Charnley will recommend keeping him, instead the finger of blame will be on Pardew, the players, probably even agents for not allowing us to buy players cheaply enough. It will categorically not be Charnley's fault, by extension it won't be Carver's and both will band together on ensuring they're still at the club for the foreseeable.

Inexplicably, Ashley will buy all of this.

As I've said before, even though I know it's coming, it will still sicken me to the core when it officially happens. I guess I have the last vestige, the tiniest flicker, of hope that by "we know we've made mistakes" the club recognises the appointment of Charnley and Carver as chief among them. There's this distant candle almost extinguished in the darkness that represent the thought (on some utterly irrational level) that millions will be spent under the guidance of Christophe Galtier or Frank De Boer. For me, it's the last I have. If Geordie John, the one true JC, is indeed "revealed" under a flood of "we never questioned his commitment or ability, but recognise we made mistakes in buying Yanga-Mbiwa", then I'll be done in. I'll have nothing left. I have enough to get up, watch Hull/Man U (no point watching the Toon!), see what happens and wait for the announcement, before the flame is extinguished and I consign my 30 years following the club to the annals of history.

Not an idle threat, I just can't put up with it anymore. Like TGE, I'll maybe glance at a result, I'll possibly check a league placing from time to time, but watching, paying attention or passing judgement will all just be a distant memory.

5. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

I would feel angry, disappointed, sad, cheated, sick, gutted and disillusioned. But I wouldn't be amazed. That would indicate it could happen without us suspecting it. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

whack&blite likes this.
  6. Graham Carr's Binoculars

They tried to get McClaren in for the last three games, that says it all to me.

Only way Carver will keep his job is if we go down.

7. Geordie lass in the Fen

Geordie lass in the Fen Well-Known Member

Maybe it is a done deal to keep Carver on as Head-coach. It's totally absurd but so when has that been a deterrent?
    Maybe the players know this in their heart of hearts, as do the fans?
    Maybe that's why they can't raise the enthusiasm to give a flying fook anymore, just as l can't either.

Obi Wan likes this.
  8. Warmir Pouchov

Did they though? Nobody has ever confirmed this. The only thing that was confirmed was Charnley confirming they were standing by Carver.

Honestly I think we have to prepare for the inevitable <laugh>

9. Graham Carr's Binoculars

I think it's common knowledge amongst the press etc that McClaren was approached. It's too much of a coincidence that the following day (after he'd turned it down) he held a press conference confirming he's staying at Derby.

I can't seeing Carver being kept on as head coach if we remain a Premier League club.

This time next week we'll probably know a lot more than we do now.

10. Obi Wan

The most positive thing is that GCB and TGE are still arguing long after the KGB game finished. It's good that their love affair continues to flourish despite all the doom and gloom at the club.

11. Graham Carr's Binoculars

I don't like losing Obi, unlike our beloved football team/business/enterprise/sporting goods store.

12. Warmir Pouchov

I'd like to think we approached him. I just don't see it. The press speculated for sure, but maybe that was 2+2=5. Charnley seemed pretty sure Carver was the right man. If we survive then I'm they'll feel vindicated (despite seeing us plummet)

13. ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter

ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter Well-Known Member

Don't we have to wait for a Friday for the traditional announcement?

14. Lord Jonjomort

Seriously, listen to George Caulkin talking here if you get some free time:

It's around 20 minutes in, then carries on for 10 minutes. Caulkin is probably the most leading journalist we have covering the club and, rightly. calls it disgusting. He goes on about the disconnect and did say that he had a chat with a "senior person" at the club (hmm, it's not Ashley, John Irving or Lee Charnley, then...) who said "mistakes" were primarily around the "language used" by the club, and that they claim they'll try harder in the Cup and that they'd never have sacked Pardew.

15. Beardsley's Shimmy

Beardsley's Shimmy Well-Known Member

I find it hard to be positive when we are on such a downward spiral.

16. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

But what people fail to realise is that things have been worse, far worse! Of course that does not excuse the limpness of our current status but giving up when it is in our own hands in contributing to it. One week (now a couple of days) of positivity may rub off on the players! Of course after this game you can all be the miserable bastards that you are! Even more so if JC gets the job full time and players aren't bought/sold that we agree with. But til then remember we need to win! Not Hull to lose or draw but US to win!

17. Nolberto's Salsa Inferno

Nolberto's Salsa Inferno Well-Known Member

Cheers for posting that ...really good

18. Warmir Pouchov

Things have been worse. I'm not sure we've ever been run in such a demoralising manner though. Where we have had the money to do something but just prefer to run it like an SD store.

Sorry I'm in the "**** that for a game of tiddliwinks" category now. I've always been against protests and believe in supporting the team through thick and thin. But as noted previously, once it stopped trying to be a football club, I was done with it.

19. Lord Jonjomort

20. Obi Wan

Sunderland and Arsenal both happy to play out a draw by the look of it. Worst possible result for us.