1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Potential new football rules

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Marco van Basten was employed by FIFA in September to oversee all technical areas ranging from innovations in technology to refereeing.

And his long term vision for the game includes scrapping some of its most established rules. Like yellow cards, the offside rule and extra time & penalty shootouts.

MvB said:
    "We must keep looking for ways to improve the game. To make it more honest, more dynamic, more interesting, so that what we offer is attractive enough. There are lots of variations which need to be tested in the coming years."

On scrapping yellow cards, MvB said:
    "Sin binning players would prove a greater deterrent than the yellow card system. That would frighten teams. It is hard to play 10 against 11, let alone with eight or nine."

On scrapping the offside rule, MvB said:
    "Abolishing the offside rule would mean an end to games which resemble handball where nine players, plus the goalkeeper, pack the penalty area and the defence is like a wall."

MvB's other ideas is to replace extra time and penalty shootouts with ice hockey style shootouts involving players dribbling towards the goalkeeper from 25 metres out. He also suggested clamping down on time wasting, stopping any player but the captain from speaking to officials and cutting the number of games in a year. More details to follow but these idea's are being passed to FIFA to discuss these potentail new game rules.

What do you think?

Gasheadseamge79 likes this.
  2. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Worth a try I say :emoticon-0148-yes: I like the sin bin idea and getting rid of the offside rule never like it :emoticon-0148-yes:

3. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Not impressed with the idea of cutting the number of games smaller clubs find it hard enough to survive now without their revenue being made smaller unless of course the premier league want to share the television money out 40% for themselves and 20% for the other three divisions

4. bs3 gas

bs3 gas Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the sin bin. I used to like the advance 10 yards for a free kick when there was dissent, but like the free kicks for a pass back to the goalie that he handles, referees just ignore them.

5. A Matter Of Time

A Matter Of Time Well-Known Member

Scrapping the offside rule would be bonkers. All the rest have some degree of merit.

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Another idea of his is to introduce breaks half way through the 1st half and half way through the 2nd half. Basically instead of having 2 halves, he wants 4 quarters or 22 mins 30 seconds a quarter. His reasoning behind this idea was so the manager can do more in-game tactical amendments without the opposition manager/staff being able to hear.

7. old timer

How about stopping the clock like they do in rugby to stop blatant time wasting, ball goes out for throwing or a goal kick and the player taking same hangs around in taking it clock stops then we might actually start getting a 90 minute football match instead of about 70 minutes.
    I know we all moan when a goal for our side is disallowed for offside but at least it makes players think about where they stand instead of just loitering with intent.
    Think the sin bin idea is great if a player knows he might not take part in the match for ten minutes he might think twice about deliberately bringing down the player, I'm fed up of hearing the commentator saying he took that one for the team, ten minutes in the sin bin might make him more reluctant to take one for the team

8. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

The penalty shoot out could be fun like in Ice Hockey sometimes their is a huge build up then the play fooks big time <laugh>

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  9. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Would help the also players during the summer period of the season

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Its worse than that old timer. We will be very lucky to get as much as 70 mins of actual football. I think its more like just over 40 minutes if I remember correctly. Years ago on sky sports, they use to show at half time the stats of the game and also the full time stats at end of the game. In these stats, they use to show actual game time, so they only counted time that the ball was in play. It was something like 20 - 22 minutes that the bal was in play. Of course this was something like over 10 years ago and the ball could be in play more. However, I think it may even be worse now as time wasting has got worse and some clubs even time waste as early as the 10th minute in games! I love your idea of the clock stopping each time the ball goes out of play. Unfortunately, 7.45pm games wont actually finish until mid day the next day if the clock kept stopping <laugh>

With the offside rule, I like the subbuteo pitch. A line across the pitch in both halves. No offsides up to that line. That means its easier for the linesman as they only got a smaller area to cover so shouldnt be out of line. Also it opens up the game like what they want but without having goal hangers.

please log in to view this image

11. old timer

I know we all moan about time wasting but the sooner referees clamp down on time wasting the better. The paying public whether home or away fans want to see a football match preferably with their team winning and at the moment we are as supporters being short changed and we are paying fairly sensible admission prices at the MEM which is more than can be said for premier or some championship teams.
    Maybe if we started getting better value for money a lot more grounds would be fuller, so that means more time with the ball in play, no cynical fouls whether for the team or otherwise and a degree of sportsmanship meaning no acting, trying to get opponents sent off or haranguing the REF when the decision doesn't go in your favour.
    Yes I appreciate that I probably live in cloud cuckoo land expecting some of these things to happen but it's better to travel in hope than to arrive in despair

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  12. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly. The Watney Cup ran for three years or so back in the seventies. It employed a no offside rule. The rule applied for all areas of the pitch excepting the six yard box. I think the six yard box exemption was written in to prevent Jimmy Greaves spending the whole 90 minutes standing on the opposition goal line chatting with their goal keeper!
    We should all think seriously about adopting this rule, because we actually won the Watney Cup in 1973!!!

13. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I think there is a case for a sin-bin that allows for an offence between a yellow card and a red

14. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

In my opinion, red cards usually ruin the game as a contest. So if the sin bin was introduced it would make things even worse, because people would keep leaving the pitch and it would cause a lot of disruption. The game would be less of a fair contest and there is probably more potential for a dodge decision to chang the game and the result.

Changing the offside rule would make the game very different. Do they have the rule In other games like hockey?

15. old timer

If they do away with offside what are we going to have to moan about, instead of doing away with the offside rule why don't they bring in a law to delete / add a goal if the wrong decision is made

16. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Yes. And no own goals. And penalties are replaced by single Attacker v Goal Keeper as deciders. And penalties if defender is hit on the foot in the box. And rotating substitutions.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017