1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pre-season friendlies

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, May 11, 2015.

1. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Team Vs Sutton

Preston, Leadbitter, Clarke (J), Parkes, Brown, Myrie-Williams, Lines, Clarke (O), Ajala, Harrison, Taylor

Subs: Malpas, Broom, Thomas, Kilgour

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

So 2 changes to the team that was announced earlier in the week. Gosling was due to play today but played yesterday instead due to Mansells injury. So Gosling today has been replaced with Myrie-Williams (who wasnt due to play at all yesterday or today). Also Trialist keeper McLoughlin has a slight groin strain which is why Preston is in goal.

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Chris Lines scores from a free kick after 15 minutes. Rovers lead 1-0 vs Sutton.

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

It was still 1-0 at half time. Lines was named captain today!

Half time sub: Broom on for Taylor

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Malpas on for Harrison on 51 minutes after the striker took a knock and limped off.

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Kilgour on for James Clarke on 66 minutes.
    Thomas on for Lines after 73 minutes.
    Rovers still lead 1-0

7. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I think Lines will probably be captain this season...

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Ryan Broom makes it 2-0 to Rovers after 80 minutes

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Now 2-1 Collins saw penalty saved by Preston but scored from the rebound

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Rovers won 2-1 by the way.

Maybe Prestons penalty save will give DC something to think about. If we got Puddy and Mildenhall signed and Preston showing what he can do too, why waste wages on another keeper? We could always get a keeper on loan if injuries/suspensions come. Dont think we need McLoughlin personally.

11. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

So two wins out of two
    So isn't Preston out on loan anymore?

12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

He is/was, I think a season long loan but to a team that are semi pro? So he still trains with us etc. Leave him out on loan to get 1st team experience and games under his belt but I think we should recall him when and if needed if something happens to Mildenhall/Puddy. Or get a short loan deal for a keeper. Cant see why we need McLoughlin as well if you know what I mean. His wages could get someone else in like another winger like Dawson for example.

13. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Someone said Dawson played for Kidderminster yesterday

14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Dawson was just an example. Wages can go on someone who will actually get game time instead of a keeper being 3rd choice who may not even get a place on the bench the whole season.

Didnt know Dawson was at Kiddy though. Has he signed for them or just on trial?

15. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Not sure someone mentioned it on one of the other forums not sure which site or thread

16. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Looks like he did against a WBA U21s team just check their website

17. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

DC On Sutton

DC declared himself satisfied with this afternoon’s 2-1 win against Sutton United, saying; “It was a good workout for us and apart from a little ten minute spell in the first half, when we were a little bit disappointing, we caused Sutton quite a few problems.”

As for the new 4G surface the manager said he felt his players faced more disruption from the enforced changes he had to make than the pitch.

“Those changes affected the flow of the game a little bit, but all of them were precautionary. Matty Taylor had a slight hip problem, Ellis Harrison a jarred back and I wanted to make sure that the cramp that Chris Lines was experiencing didn’t turn into a pull.”

The manager said he was pleased with the fitness levels his squad have shown, both in training and the two games to date; “The lads are looking fit and sharp, though there are other areas of our game we need to tighten up on. For instance, the high energy our game demands needs working on and we need to ensure that we don’t give our opponents time on the ball.

“However we did work well today against an experienced Conference South side who have signed three of the Eastleigh players we came up against last season.”

Kieran Preston was in goal today as both triallist Ian McLoughlin and Will Puddy are suffering from slight groin strains; “We will need to see how it goes with Ian in the next few days and see whether or not he will be fit to play in either of our midweek games.

“As far as Will is concerned, we didn’t risk him today as it’s all about getting everyone fit for 8th August so that I have a fully fit squad to choose from.”

There were, of course, two other players looking to impress the manager, Jennison Williams and Toby Ajala.

“I can’t really say that Jennison is a triallist, as he has offers from other clubs on the table, so it was pleasing that he wanted to play this afternoon.

“As for Toby, I thought he did well today and put himself about, though it’s early days and it’s difficult to judge anyone who is in on trial at this stage of the season. I don’t over analyse the early parts of pre-season, as we are just working towards getting the boys match sharp and match fit and making sure we don’t pick up any injuries.”

Darrell has also been pleased with the form shown by the younger members of the squad in the two games played this weekend; “It’s a good time for the young players who are learning the game and an opportunity for me to see them in games to see if they are ready for a serious step up to the next level, and it’s nice that they are giving me food for thought.”

Rovers face two more games on consecutive days this week, with matches at Cirencester on Tuesday and Mangotsfield on Wednesday and the manager is likely to field similar teams to those he out this weekend, assuming the injuries sustained today aren’t serious.

“Ideally I would like the team that played at Salisbury yesterday to face Cirencester and the side that played today to turn out on Wednesday.”

Like everyone else, he is hoping for positive news on the new stadium tomorrow when we finally learn whether or not the purchase of the Memorial Stadium by Sainsbury’s goes ahead.

“The situation affects me, of course it does, and a positive outcome tomorrow would be a bit of a game changer.

“I think it’s well documented that money is tight at the moment and it’s not rocket science that the more money that’s spent on a court case the less I have to bring in new players.

“Consequently. Monday is a huge day for the club and especially for our supporters, who deserve a fantastic new stadium.”
    Read more at http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/article/darrell-on-sutton-game-2542454.aspx#3odQibO8C3S4sySo.99

18. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

“The situation affects me, of course it does, and a positive outcome tomorrow would be a bit of a game changer."

“I think it’s well documented that money is tight at the moment and it’s not rocket science that the more money that’s spent on a court case the less I have to bring in new players."

Im sure DC already knows the outcome of tomorrow. The result effects his spending so he will already know just like the rest of the board. So looking at his words more closely, has he let on anything? Is there a hint of either way the result has gone? Is he making excuses that he hasnt got who he really wants in the door because of the constraints on him? Or is he saying get ready for some signings that will make the difference in a real promotion push - players that really make us stand out as clear favourites - a game changer wow factor situation? Or just a routine comment not giving anything away?

Bluebaldee likes this.
  19. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Why would Monday be a huge day (because we deserve a fantastic new stadium) if the news was going to be gloomy??

Maybe we're reading too much into mere words, but I think you're right...

Bluebaldee likes this.
  20. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Squad for tonights game vs Cirencester....

-------------------------------Steve Mildenhall--------------------------------
    Tyler Lyttle---Tom Lockyer---Mark McChrystal---Danny Greenslade
    -----------------------Lee Mansell-----Stuart Sinclair-----------------------
    Cristian Montano------------Jake Gosling---------------------Billy Bodin
    ----------------------------------Jamie Lucas----------------------------------

Subs: Jay Malpas, Dominic Thomas, Alfie Kilgour, Ryan Broom.

Squad for tomorrows game vs Mangotsfield....

---------------------------Kieran Preston----------------------------
    Daniel Leadbitter---James Clarke---Tom Parkes---Lee Brown
    ------------Chris Lines----Ollie Clarke----Toby Ajala-------------
    --------Ellis Harrison---Nathan Blissett---Matty Taylor--------

Ryan Broom, Jay Malpas, Dominic Thomas, Jennison Myrie-Williams, Alfie Kilgour