1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pre-season friendlies

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, May 11, 2015.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

How much is admission for the Arsenal match

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

The line up for tonight had changed as Montano has a slight foot injury so not risked.
    Blissett at the weekend was apart of this squad but in tomorrows squad instead as may be needed tomorrow against Mangotsfield as Taylor is a doubt.

So tonights starting 11....

Mildenhall, Lyttle, Lockyer, McChrystal, Greenslade, Broom, Sinclair, Mansell, Gosling, Lucas, Bodin

Subs... Malpas, Slocombe, Kilgour

4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Bodin heads in from Broom cross Rovers 1-0 up seven minutes

Bodin scores again on 16 minutes from a reverse pass by Gosling

Lucas scores from the penalty spot on 33 minutes, Rovers lead 3-0

Im surprised Bodin didnt take the penalty to get his hat trick!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

The Gas take on an Arsenal XI on Saturday, 18th July (kick off 3:00pm) and Reading on Tuesday, 21st July (kick off 7:45pm) and ticket prices have been slashed around the ground.

Seats in the two main stands are priced at £15 for adults and £7 for concessions. Tickets for all other parts of the ground will be £10 for adults and £5 for concessions.

Read more at http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news...icket-prices-2524604.aspx#BCkvtcvt7MzlKjHi.99

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Bodin completes his hat trick on 41 minutes after being played in by Gosling Rovers lead 4-0

Now half time.

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I will now be surprised if Bodin doesnt get offered a deal.

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Half time sub.... Kilgour for Lockyer

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Lucas header on 59 minutes from Gosling cross. Rovers lead 5-0

61 minutes Broom makes it 6-0

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Slocombe for Mansell and Malpas for Sinclair, both on 60 minutes

Lucas scores his second penalty of the evening to make it 7-0 to Rovers 81 mins

12. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

No mean feat against anyone. Great stuff!

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  13. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Thanks CJS

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  14. Gastronomic

Another decent performance v Man U! Blisset's having a good pre season...

15. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No disrespect to the likes of Mangotsfiled and Cirencester but I would like to see us play more higher league teams in pre-season IMO these sorts of games are foregone conclusion and we're always going to win them, not much of challenge for the players really I say keep these friendlies for the youth teams and trialists. Even though it was good to see Blissett and Lucas score can they do it against teams from Division 2 and above I say arrange more games against the likes of Reading and even teams like Cheltenham in the Conference Prem. Just my opinion. What do you think?

16. Gastronomic

There's no substitute for playing a match. I play music, but a lot of the time I practice at a slower pace so that I get all the basics right, so that when I'm going full tilt it all flows without making too many mistakes. I think playing matches at a slower pace or against lesser opposition is just like that. They can get the basics right, help the new lads learn the ropes and then ramp it up when the better opposition comes along.That's my theory!

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Its all about match fitness which we can get against any team, no matter what league they are in. Yes it would be nice to face higher league clubs but at the same time, im happy with what we got. I remember Lambert said when with us that for him pre season was very important. He tried to get as manay goals as possible because it was all about getting his confidence ready for the league kick off. Im sure Lucas and Blissett are happy and feeling confident right now as they both have had very good pre seasons to date. If we were just playing the likes of Reading and other higher league clubs, I doubt they would get many chances full stop. Winning (no matter who the opponent is creates the feel good factor and winning mentality and confidence. Getting beat by 3 or more every game will not be very good for our players. So lesser teams is a good base to start against to get match fitness ready and confidence ready for the bigger teams like West Brom and ready for the start of the season.

<ok>

Bluebaldee likes this.
  18. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

DC on tomorrows game vs Arsenal....

With four pre-season games already played, manager Darrell Clarke has seen many of his players gain valuable playing time as they continue their preparations for the new season, and he has been pleased with their levels of fitness. DC said:
    "Many of them have been able to get a lot of minutes under their belts and one of the reasons I only used two substitutes at Mangotsfield on Wednesday was that I wanted as many players as possible to play the ninety minutes as we build up to the game against an Arsenal XI on Saturday. I will be naming a squad of 18 players for that game and won't be making wholesale changes during the match. Whatever the makeup of the Arsenal side, they will be very well drilled and technically very good. We are all looking forward to the first home game of our pre-season calendar and our first appearance at the Memorial Stadium since winning promotion."

One or two players have suffered minor injuries in the games played to date while some, goalkeeper Will Puddy included, haven't played at all. DC said:
    "Mark McChrystal picked up a knock in training yesterday so we will have to assess whether or not he is fit to play on Saturday, while Puddy has a slight groin strain and may be out for another two weeks. Matty Taylor picked up a slight injury at Sutton last Sunday, but I'm hoping he will be fit to play some part in the game. However it has been a bonus for us getting Stuart Sinclair back in action and he featured in the games at Salisbury and Cirencester, while Lee Mansell also returned against Cirencester after he picked up a calf injury that caused him to miss out last Saturday."

Saturday might also see the return to action of Lee Jermaine Easter. DC said:
    "He has now been back in full training for a couple of days and if he doesn't suffer any reaction today then he is likely to be in the squad to face Arsenal and perhaps play for 20 minutes or so. It's good to see him back in action and he is looking bright and fit and he's very confident that his knee has fully recovered following surgery, and that's always a good sign and it's fantastic news for us."

It's also an important day for triallist Billy Bodin as the manager revealed at last night's forum with supporters that he would play some part in proceedings tomorrow. The former Swindon and Torquay player impressed in the game against Cirencester when he scored a well taken hat trick. At the same meeting the manager also revealed that goalkeeper Kieran Preston will spend time on a youth loan with Evostik Southern league club Redditch United in the coming season, with Rovers having a recall clause written into his contract.

http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news...arsenal-game-2552486.aspx#38W5IXVdsvP4xRkz.99

19. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Only 3 weeks left to the start of the season its flown by

20. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Before you know it, it will be xmas ;)

This time next week I will be on my hols :)