1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pre Season Friendlies

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Dick Plumb posted on CL that Stewart is unlikely to be retained, and when pressed, said this was the impression given by KR. Sounded like he played well, so I hope this is not true.

2. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

Stewart looked ok Kashi was the stand out performer ...the rest very very average ...was quite a bore fest and 3 0 flattered us big time .
    Holmes not involved st selling and I don't think he was at Greenwich borough either ..injured maybe

3. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

If Holmes did not play against Welling or Greenwich, then as far as I know he has not played since the second half against Crumlin 6 days ago.
    So maybe he is not 100% fit.

4. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Well-Known Member

Would have Stewart starting - 5 assists so far in pre season, and having two inverted wingers (Holmes and Marshall) is not particularly conducive to getting balls in to the box for magennis. Not so much of a problem on the left assuming Da Silva comes in as he will bomb on, something Solly cannot do anymore.

5. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

I went to both friendlies and we played much better football in the Greenwich Borough game. Ceballos, Clarke, Marshall and Barnes were excellent. I know it is only Greenwich but there was a lot of good movement. Sarr also had a very solid game. Unfortunately Barnes picked up what looked like a serious injury. Let us hope it is not.
    In the Welling game I thought Watt was toilet. Stewart, Aribo and Kashi had good games.

6. DickPlumb

Holmes, Novak have both got minor injuries. Jake Forster - Caskey played for about 30 minutes last night. Watt and Barnes are now both injured.

7. DickPlumb

This is for Forest Hill. Team against Welling.

‎Charlton‎: Phillips; Solly (Yao 67), Bauer (Cummings 67), Pearce (Bowry 46),Jackson (Edwards 67); Pearce (Bowry 46); Stewart (Fernandes 67), Kashi (Kennedy 60), Aribo (Carter 67), Ahearne-Grant (Yamfam 67), Watt (Lapslie 29); Magennis (Maloney 67).

This was the team against Greenwich.

Charlton‎: Maynard-Brewer (Beeney 46); Dijksteel (Zemura 70), Konsa (Birch 70), Sarr (Blumberg 70),Barnes (Trialist 70); Marshall (Doughty 70),Crofts (Sarpong-Wiredu 70), Forster-Caskey (Charles-Cook 37 (Carter 81)), Clarke (Trialist 70)Ceballos (Trialist 70); Hackett-Fairchild (Willis 70). ‎

Goals: Hackett-Fairchild 11, Ceballos 15, Marshall 32, Clarke 53.‎

ForestHillBilly likes this.
  8. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

i thought Stewart was really good at welling. looked like the only player who was trying to create chance. kashi played well and did the sweeper job brilliantly. the rest was much of a muchness.

9. Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski Well-Known Member

Karl Robinson admits that "Nabby Sarr is going to be part of his plans."

Glad that I didn't renew! Sooner they go the better

Crack Addick likes this.
  10. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Very much a view from afar, but those going to the games are giving good reviews to both Sarr and Ceballos. If the youngsters we took a punt on earlier start to show they deserve a start, why not go with it?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017

11. DickPlumb

Naby Sarr has been excellent in the pre season games I have seen. But the acid test will be when he comes up against better forwards.

lardiman likes this.
  12. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Ipswich Town and Norwich City might put him and his team-mates to a sterner test. Those games will give us things to think about, one way or another.

ForestHillBilly likes this.
  13. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Unless Sarr has magically become intelligent, then I think we'll see the same dud.

DonCorleone likes this.
  14. Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski Well-Known Member

After watching him the first time round, I doubt he's improved. It's like Yohann Thuram-Ulien, will never be any good.

15. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Charlton win 1-2 against Stevenage, playing what Karl Robinson described as the best football he has seen since he joined the Club.
    "For the first 15 minutes we were sensational" he is quoted as saying.

However Mark Marshall has sustained a knee injury, which led to him being substituted after 28 minutes.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/...mmer-signing-leaving-lamex-stadium-leg-brace/

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15428178.Charlton_boss_provides_update_on_star_man___s_injury/

Apparently after jarring or 'stunting' his knee in a challenge Marshall tried to run the effects off but failed to do so and was taken off.
    I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but taking a knock to the knee of all things in a pre-season friendly ... would it not have been safer to substitute Marshall immediately to get it looked at and some quick treatment perhaps to minimise any damage? Trying to run the injury off may well have only made it worse.

I was not at the match, can anybody who was there add any detail to this worrying development?
    How long was Marshall running around on the knee once it was hurt?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  16. lardiman

Forum Moderator

51 hours later, and still nothing reported about Mark Marshall's knee injury.

They must have had it scanned by now, and have some general idea of how serious it is.
    When one of our best two summer signings leaves a ground on crutches fans are going to want to know something at least, as soon as possible.

Even if they are still not sure (waiting for swelling to go down or something similar) why not just say so?
    Sorry, but I'm not particularly interested in taking a video tour of the new shop. I'd rather have a word or two of real news about an injured player.

17. DickPlumb

Robinson said that Marshall's injury is a bad one. This was said on Talksport.

18. lardiman

Forum Moderator

Thanks for this DickPlumb, even though it's not good news.
    We have TalkSport on at work in some parts of the factory but not where I was working today.

It wouldn't hurt the people running the website to post a few lines about it.

The way everything is spun on there gives the plainly silly impression that nothing bad ever happens. Every Club suffers unexpected misfortunes; injuries are a perfect example of an unpredictable setback.
    Just ignoring them for several days and then releasing a brief sugar-coated (and obviously vetted) lament merely shows the whole thing up for the charade that it is.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  19. DickPlumb

I think it will be posted soon. I think that we will now see Stewart given a contract.

20. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Apparently will definitely miss the start of the season - looks like it's 2-3 months.