1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Premier League Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintlyhero, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AL.

AL. Well-Known Member

Martin O'Neill will be mentioned as usual with his Leicester links.

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Yep, and his public profile. He comes as a mite cheerless and arrogant, don't you think.? I understand that, in private, he's a great bloke.

fatletiss likes this.
  3. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

I think they'l go foreign

4. AL.

AL. Well-Known Member

Sean Dyche could be in the frame I guess.

fatletiss likes this.
  5. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

They say it is a parting of ideas. So Pearson probably only wanted a few new players to strengthen his team. But I bet the owners wanted to bring in loads more players.

6. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Didn't see that one coming.

8. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

I assume the incident concerning his son was the final straw for Pearson. He was already living on the edge with his interviews.

9. TheSecondStain

You assume correctly. FLT was barking up the right tree earlier yesterday when he alluded to the accumulation of incidents involving Pearson and his unconventional behaviour. It appears young Pearson's antics, with his dismissed colleagues, was the final straw.

Gary Lineker, whose opinion I usually have great respect for, reacted to the stupidity, as he saw it, of those in power within football. This was before the reasons were known. Bet he'd like to retract his words now. Personally, when you weigh up the owners culture, manners, and the public standards they would like their club to convey, this shouldn't come as such a surprise, in all honesty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33339566

fatletiss likes this.
  10. TheSecondStain

Perhaps we might have.

11. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I just knew that article would ask if the son's actions should reflect on Nigel Pearson. I think they should not and I bet they do not. What would be interesting to know though is who sacked those three boys and what did Nigel Pearson say about that? If he tried to stop the sacking of the lads, then that then does reflect on him.

12. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I bet Pearson stuck up for his son which is why he was sacked.

fatletiss likes this.
  13. AL.

AL. Well-Known Member

I think because the 'event' happened in Thailand, it was especially embarassing and shameful for the club and the owners. They may be saying if this lad is doing things like this, then maybe people are right about Nigel being 'weird', despite us continuing to back him.

He did a great job last season, particularly after the difficult time being sacked and unsacked.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  14. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I've always thought Pearson was a complete dick and this season has proved it.

15. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Going all biblical on you, but let that he who is without sin etc etc.

Anyone who has ever had teenage/early 20's lads in the house will know that life can be shared with a dickhead. Pearson may have tried to talk down the actions of his son and his mates with a "come on, it was stupid but who hasn't done something stupid at that age" approach. I'm glad I didn't lose my job each time my now highly sensible and respectable son was being a dickhead in his youth and I had to bail him out..

Pearson has come across badly this season, but he is a good manager. He did the business for us in the short time he was with us, and I thought it was a seriously bad idea to get rid of him. What he did for Leicester was nothing short of miraculous.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Archers Road likes this.
  16. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What he did was inexcusable and fully deserved to be sacked. Pearson's son brought the club's reputation into disrepute and if Pearson defended his actions, he also did.

17. fatletiss

I reserve judgement on Pearson the manager. He did a fantastic job in the last 9 games, however not such a good job in the previous 29. I was going to keep a close eye on how they started this season, to see if he deserved the plaudits he received at the end of last season; obviously I can't judge that now.

As for you not losing your job when your son was a dickhead in his youth .... I suppose I was just lucky my Dad had his own milk round and couldn't get sacked. I did however get many a clip round the ear followed by a "People know me in this town and behaving like that reflects on me," followed by another clip round the ear :)

18. fatletiss

I think this may be what happened, however Pearson defending his son, or questioning the need to sack them internally within that football club, is not affecting the club's reputation; it would have been within the club. I don't recall a headline saying Pearson defends Thailand three. I can imagine that if he did try and prevent the sackings, that the owners may have seen that in a dim light.

19. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah I reckon they might too. If they do get Sam however I will be lumping heavily on Nolan to Leicester.

20. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I doubt if Pearson defended him...his actions were inexcusable, but he is hardly going to dump his son from the family is he? Pearson had nearly been sacked before so was on borrowed time...that was just the final straw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.