1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Premier Quality...

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Sep 2, 2015.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

BRISTOL CITY: Robins boss Steve Cotterill moves to bolster defence
    please log in to view this image

Nathan Baker and Liam Moore.

BRISTOL City boss Steve Cotterill moved decisively to shore up his defence ahead of last night's transfer deadline.
    Eager to bolster his back-line, Cotterill landed
    Liam Moore and Nathan Baker on loan deals from Premier League clubs Leicester City and Aston Villa respectively.
    Recruited to provide
    competition for first-choice central defenders Luke Ayling, Aden Flint and Derrick Williams, the newcomers will provide City's manager with alternative options when the Robins return to Championship action against Birmingham City at St Andrews on Saturday week.
    In both cases, Cotterill has put his trust in young players who are desperate to play regular first team football and improve themselves.

Signed on loan until January 4, Moore suggested Cotterill was a determining factor in his decision to move to Ashton Gate.
    He said: "I assessed my situation, spoke to the manager personally and made sure I made the right move.
    "That was one of the things that sold it to me from the manager – not only does he want to bring me here to help shore up the defence and improve the team, but to improve myself too.
    "I really want to do that and I feel like I could have a great working relationship with him."
    The England Under-21 international will team-up with Leicester colleague Ben Hamer at Ashton Gate and he consulted the goalkeeper before deciding to move to the Championship newcomers.
    He said: "It's a club on the up. The stadium is getting done at the moment and the training ground is also being developed.

"The team have been playing some really good football and I think it's turned a lot of heads.
    "When I spoke to people to say I was on my way down, they said it was a really good club playing great football, so I can't wait to be part of it.

"It's just about finding that balance. From what I've seen, it's been very fine margins and the club have been very close to getting some good results."

Baker recently signed a new four-year deal at Aston Villa, but has moved to BS3 in search of regular first-team football.
    He follows in the footsteps of former Villa team-mate Derrick Williams and Callum Robinson, who joined the Robins on loan last month.
    Recruited on a season-long loan, Baker said : "I've not been playing lately, so I wanted to get out on loan and this is something that's worked out well for me.
    "I want to play regular football. I don't want to be sitting around on the bench – I want to progress with my career and, hopefully, this is the place to do it.
    "Derrick's here and Callum is obviously here on loan. I also know Mark Little from back home in Worcester, so it should be easy to settle in."

City's 3-5-2 formation will be familiar to Baker, a left-sided defender, who can operate as a centre back or left back.
    He explained: "I played in that system under Paul Lambert – I can play in a back three or a four, so that's all fine.
    "I've played left-back before but I certainly think my dominant position is as a centre-back.
    "I've been on loan in the Championship with Millwall a couple of seasons ago and it's a tough league, but hopefully I can come here and help get the team into the Premier League."

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/BRISTO...terill-moves/story-27715674-detail/story.html

By a_stockhausen

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Very solid and constructive signings, lets hope we continue to progress and finish the job with a striker and other additions, I personally am more than happy and looking forward to a more relaxed September.

Well done Cotts & Co...

3. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

It would appear 2 very shrewd signings, we desperately needed some extra defenders in. All the focus was on a striker, but I think once Kodija settles in, combined with the confidence of a more solid defence (hopefully) then we will be OK.

4. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

That said, if we could have gotten Vydra from Watford, as Reading did , then I think we would have really done well.

5. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

6. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

See my post on the Liam Moore thread.

Not saying Vydra would have come to us, but after the stupid money we were prepared to throw at Gray and Gayle, albeit as permies, it makes you wonder what might have been.

7. glenngregory

glenngregory Active Member

hmm, I would have loved Vydra, but not on a loan costing £3million PLUS his wages. That would be very wasteful. We got two great loans without any fee at all. Watford clearly have some very good negotiators on their side....

8. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Sometimes wishing for players, reported by the pundits to be higher up the food chain, can be an exasperating experience and perhaps finding your quarry off the radar of the usual places can turn out to be fruitful beyond belief.

Our 2 new conscripts don't set my heart racing and yet there's something here that tweaks my interest for some inexplicable reason. I think it is because I trust Cotts (yes again) to know what's right, and despite the fact that I think his hands are tied slightly behind his back on the financial front, which means he will get the job done and so what if it's not to our satisfaction? Quality over quantity every time and if you have to visit shopping sites outside the norm, then so be it.

Time will give us the answers we are looking for if we are patient.