1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Prime Minister keen to visit Hull

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Spook, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spook

Spook Well-Known Member

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/PM-D...l-city-poets/story-28711394-detail/story.html

'Mr Cameron made the comment in Parliament during Prime Minister's Questions. The Tory leader even name-dropped some of the city's most well-known literary names, such as poet and former University of Hull librarian Philip Larkin.

"I am looking forward to visiting Hull, and as it is the city of [William] Wilberforce, I am sure [other MPs] will want to join me," said Mr Cameron.

"Hull is a city of poets, including Andrew Marvell, and it was home to Philip Larkin for many years, and, of course, Stevie Smith," he said.

"Sometimes one might want to contemplate what it looks like 'not waving but drowning'," he remarked, in reference to Ms Smith's most famous poem of the same name.

City council leader Councillor Steve Brady said he hoped Mr Cameron's visit to Hull next year would inspire him to commit to more investment.

"We would, of course, welcome the Prime Minister to Hull any time – not just throughout our year as UK City of Culture in 2017," said the Labour leader.

"I would hope that a visit would help us to gain much-needed government support in order to drive the city forward and create much-needed jobs.

"People who live in Hull or who have already visited the city know what a special and unique place it is, and I believe Mr Cameron would agree."

The Prime Minister made the remarks while responding to Hull North MP Diana Johnson, who asked the Government to do more to encourage national museums to help with 2017's preparations. Ms Johnson said: "As the UK City of Culture, we are already backed by many prestigious organisations, such as the BBC and the Royal Shakespeare Company.

"However, we could do much more to make this a real national celebration of culture.

"Will the Prime Minister join me in urging the many London-based national arts organisations to do their bit and contribute to the success of Hull 2017?"

Mr Cameron said museums and galleries should be looking to support regional culture all year round.

"Our national cultural institutions have an immense amount of work and prestige that they can bring out to regional galleries and centres when there is a City of Culture event – or indeed more broadly – and I will talk to them about that," replied Mr Cameron.

Ms Johnson MP's question follows a city effort, backed by a Hull Daily Mail campaign, to get the Science Museum in London to lend the city the plane in which flying heroine Amy Johnson became the first woman to fly to Australia back in 1930.

While museum bosses vetoed the idea saying dislodging the plane would cost "hundreds of thousands of pounds", they have now agreed to bring more of the museum's collections and archive up to the city in time for next year's festivities.

POETS' CORNER

Andrew Marvell (1621–1678)

Born in Winestead in Holderness, Marvell was a poet, satirist and politician, elected MP for Hull in 1659.

Stevie Smith (1902–1971)

A poet and novelist who wrote often about death. She was born in Hull but moved to London aged three. Known for the poem 'Not Waving But Drowning'.

Philip Larkin (1922–1985)

Came to Hull in 1955 after being appointed librarian at the city's university, and remained until his death. A statue is dedicated to him at Hull Paragon Interchange.'

Could it bring in more government funding for our city and potentially involve Hull in the Northern Powerhouse scheme? The last time the Prime Minister visited Hull was in March 2014, I believe.

2. onlyme

onlyme Active Member

of our three famouse poets,2 of them were not born in hull,and the other one left!!

Fez likes this.
  3. onlyme

onlyme Active Member

although wiki says florence was born in kingston upon hull.but where is winestead?

4. onlyme

onlyme Active Member

paterington?

5. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

It is in Patrington.

6. WhittlingStick

WhittlingStick Well-Known Member

It's a long way from Angleberry Rd

Mr Hatem likes this.
  7. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

It is closer to "Witherensea"

8. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Carry on through Thorningumbald, through Keyingunam, through Otteringham and just before Patterington you hit Winestead. If you get to Witherensea you've gone too far. Hope this helps.

9. originalminority

originalminority Well-Known Member

Did you know Holderness also inspired JRR Tolkien to write Lord Of The Rings?

10. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Probably took inspiration from meeting Gwyllym Lloyd in the Nancy public house in Burton Pidsea which they both frequented in the early 70's sharing such past-times as darts. domino's and bar billiards. Tolkien was known to be a keen follower of Rugby League was often seen at Hull Kingston Rovers games.

11. Evington

Evington Well-Known Member

I wasn't born in Hull either but it's my home town. Oh and I left too. But I come back nearly every match

12. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

So, not Hull but the East Riding, despised by so many on here. Was he accused of using Hull and its facilities for his own ends?

13. Old Tige

Old Tige Well-Known Member

Hide your glassware and lock up your pigs.

Patronising slime ball.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    joannahatfield and onceatiger like this.
  14. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Not in Patrington, but the village / hamlet before. If you're going from Hull to Wid.

15. hovetiger

hovetiger Well-Known Member

I'd be happy enough if we locked the gates on the patronising, privileged pig fiddler.....he's ignored the north long enough. Apologies if this strays too far onto politics. If it helps with balance, I'm no fan of Labour either

Mikez likes this.
  16. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

So Little Lord Fauntleroy might be forced to visit one of those vulgar northern holes.
    Never mind, all he has to do is churn out the historical crap his researchers found on Wiki and pretend he knows where the place is. The locals will love him!

HHH, joannahatfield and onceatiger like this.
  17. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

It's an interesting one, I think sometimes when it suits certain people say they are from Hull and vice versa

18. Carmine Galante.

Carmine Galante. Well-Known Member

I'm sure Dave and his entourage of cronies will be highly impressed with Hull if drive in on the M62.

What with all the plastic, rubbish and general detritus strewn on both sides of the carriageway.

The approach into Hull is an absolute disgrace, it's embarrassing and needs sorting. I know I've banged on about this before but it gives a very bad first impression of the place.

Those Transwaste lorries don't help.

19. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Yes, if only he had done as much for Hull as Labour did as recognition of voting in oafs like Prescott time after time.

KentTiger likes this.
  20. Spook

Spook Well-Known Member

If you're that dissatisfied, advocate Yorkshire regionalism and full devolution like me. Or go even further and advocate Yorkshire's independence; our economy's larger than Wales' so it's not that far-fetched.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.