1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

PTSD

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Rangers Til I Die, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Without any disrespect to people who have suffered truly awful things in life, I think I've got a mild case of PTSD after Sunday!

From the NHS website:

"Someone with PTSD will often relive the traumatic event through nightmares and flashbacks, and may experience feelings of isolation, irritability and guilt."

I don't feel guilty since I did my bit by booing until hoarse but flashbacks and very irritable until about Wednesday!! Also still getting very irritable every time I see a Chelsea Badge.

So, two questions.

1) What are your QPR PTSD moments?

2) How else has being a QPR supporter affected your health? Alcohol? Broken bones travelling? Headache? Generally feeling sick as a dog? The odd euphoric feeling?!!

Once again no offence intended by likening a loss at a football game to truly awful life events. Just a simile to make a point.

Bit slow on here until next w/e so just something to chew on.

2. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

PTSD = Post traumatic stress disorder.

I thought us QPR supporters suffer from that all the time?

Seriously, I had suffered from that more 2 years ago when we got relegated. This time around, I am a lot more relaxed. I have thought all season that eventually we would go down but now, I feel the opposite. I feel we will stay up so a little stressed but nothing like 2 years ago. Even last season had it's stressful moments.

I was at the Man City game 3 years ago and I didn't enjoy it one bit as I was so nervous. The play off semi against Wigan last year was quite nervy and so was the final till the 89th minute.

3. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

1986 league [milk] cup final. After beating Liverpool in the semi final we were nailed on favourites to beat Oxford in the final, we didn't turn up and got stuffed 3-0.
    Took me weeks to get over that one.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    rangercol likes this.
  4. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Because I have supported Queens Park Rangers for 42 of my 53 years ...................

- I drink too much.
    - My hair has gone from blond to grey / silver ............ and going close to having a crew-cut whilst suffering a case of the crew starting to bale out ( loss of hair ).
    - My body is currently imploding with all soughts of medical issues for which I cannot fund, nor can doctors find the answers.
    - My stomach & bowels continue to make all type of sounds and noises for which my other half is considering making contact with the Guinness Book of Records.
    - Even though I start work early, I want to take a nap in the early afternoon and not go back to work ......... ever!
    - I reckon I've aged 15 years in the last 5 years.

- Apart from these small issues, I'm feeling fantastic and forever young ......................... at heart!
    - I'm known to lie without question to save face.

- I sincerely love my team.
    Aussie

UTRs and finglasqpr like this.
  5. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Ask Raheem Sterling for one of his plastic bags. You don't have to be a Premier League footballer to laugh all the way to the bank

6. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

As it werent played until 86 I think I'm not surprised!

82 wasn't so great either, but we showed up all right, got a replay and deserved to win as a Division 2 Club.

7. Hoops Eternal

Sorry, slip of the keyboard finger! I'll edit my post.

8. QPR Oslo

I got back from Oslo to see all those games. But the defeat by Oxford was the worst for me too. I had my Norwegian family with me, they were dead happy because Grethe Weitz won the London Marathon we saw that morning, the sun was shining, I have never seen as many QPR fans in 1 stadium, we seemed to fill 60/70% of the stadium, and the noise was amazing. The game an enormous let down, we never got started.

9. Hoops Eternal

I can't think of any other game I've been to that I've felt so deflated afterwards.

10. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I was living in Hong Kong in 86. I think I listened to it on the World Service, very happy to miss the collective angst.

But my worst time was listening to the Wolves - Liverpool game at the end of the 76 season, We were less than 15 minutes away from winning the league. I was a very unhappy 15 year old for some time after that.

rangercol likes this.

11. Hoops Eternal

In those days ['76] the only way was to listen on the radio. I remember it well, drinking copious amounts of brown ale while listening.

12. QPR Oslo

That was terrible, weren't Wolves in need of something to stay up and winning with 15 minutes left? I never believed Liverpool weren't going to win that. For me we'd really lost it at Norwich, the trip home from there was the longest ever, and beating Arsenal and Leeds were great wins but never going to be enough.

13. Hoops Eternal

The wait between us playing Leeds in our final game and Liverpool playing at Wolves was agonising, about two weeks I seem to remember.

14. QPR Oslo

Heard it on the radio too. But I seem to remember Stan and Gerry in a TV studio commenting on the Wolves Liverpool game. I suppose it was ITV and shown later.

15. Hoops Eternal

There was nothing shown live in those days

16. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I remember seeing some footage of Stan and Gerry watching it, but that must have been recorded. They definitely cut to Frank McLintock's pub after the final whistle, unsurprisingly somber atmosphere.

I listened to it in my bedroom, my Dad couldn't stand hearing it.

Hoops Eternal likes this.
  17. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

Two Highbury occasions sum it up for me - losing to Villa and beating West Brom.

Swing from high to deep, extremes of sweet and sour.

18. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

I remember that night like it was yesterday, I had been playing in a match and raced home afterwards arriving just after 9.00, I switched on the radio to hear Wolves were 1-0 up but my elation lasted all of a minute before Liverpool equalised. It was so close that a 1-1 draw would have Liverpool as champions but a 2-2 draw would have given us the title in the days of goal average.

It was all academic however as two late goals gave them a 3-1 win in what was the most gut-wrenching night I can remember...

19. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ah lads all this talk of the wolves v liverpool game. ..i was at molineux that night couldn't get in side the ground so stood on a grassy embankment opposite the ground surrounded by liverpool fans. 15 lousy minutes from winning the league. ...bloody fa giving them special treatment just because they were in the European cup final.

20. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

I feel your pain RTID...I was just getting over it, my life was moving on. Then...yesterday I was doing a tour of Versailles...we were out on bikes in the grounds, and I had a family from Australia with us. It was a nice day until one of the kids took his jumper off, and there it was. A Chelsea shirt. I promptly told him if he didn't put his jumper back on I'd lose him on purpose.