1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Purely hypothetical and a bit of fun...

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Jan 19, 2017.

?

Would you accept winning the League Cup but having to face a final day relegation battle?

1. Yes, I'll take a chance if it means we win our first major trophy for over 40 years

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. No, Premier League survival is everything so let's get as high up the table as possible.

12 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. Libby

Libby 9-0

As the title says, this is purely hypothetical and a bit of fun just to see opinions on what people think...

But if offered now, would you accept winning the League cup and knowing we're in a final day battle for survival with 2 other teams?

It's just a laugh so no "League cup and midtable" comments please. It's hypothetical and I'm just wondering who would take that scenario now if offered?

Me personally, I'm 85-90% sure that I'd even take relegation for a cup win, so I would certainly take above situation?

What about the rest of you? Like I say this is purely fun so please don't say how we can achieve both etc.

Stick to the specifics of the question n say what gut feeling is... <ok>

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

*looks at Birmingham City*

3. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

Cup every day of the week.

Saints Fan4Life and Libby like this.
  4. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Cup for me, despite the lesson of Brum. Prefer the FA Cup though

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

*feels confused as this post didn't answer the question* ;)

<whistle>

6. Libby

Libby 9-0

Oh yeah I'd certainly prefer the FA Cup, any trophy will do though :)

**** it, if we were to do the domestic cup double, I'd probably accept back to back to relegations <yikes>

:bandit:

7. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

No.

8. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

PL survival is paramount.

9. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

JPT notwithstanding, the club has won just one major trophy in the 130+ years of its existence. So yes, let's win something, so we can tell our grandchildren about our great day out at Wembley, and the open-top bus parade around the city, and the time we were all united as supporters of our team. For that, I'd take a chance on relegation.

Saints Fan4Life and Libby like this.
  10. Libby

Libby 9-0

Fair enough.

Care to explain reasons?

11. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

No. I'm with you in my desire to see us win a cup but the cost of PL relegation would be too high. We'd be hamstrung for several years by it. Any other risk up to that level fine with me, though.

Vin

12. Libby

Libby 9-0

I understand that, but do you not feel that we'll go down at some point anyway? Whether it's 1 year, 3, 5 or 10, it will most likely happen at some point if we're honest, my thinking is it would be nice to win something while we're there.

I've mentioned before that our last top flight stay lasted 27 years, but what did we win? Wigan matched our major honour haul in their short stay.

Sounds crazy, but I honestly think that the PL in this era of money etc. is about 6/7 teams who, 9 times out of 10, will make up the top 6/7.

The rest of the teams are in a constant battle against relegation imo.

That's not to say they will be in a battle to stay up every singleyear. But generally speaking 13/14 teams (over a fair period of time) will chop and change with others.

So like I say, (don't mean this in a negative way) we as a club are very much destined to go down at some point (again whether it's 1 year or 10), it's a natural cycle for clubs of our size.

Then again, I don't see us as a big a club as a lot of other Saints fans do.

At the end of the day, I am proud of our club, think we're unique in current era and have a proud history.

But ****, we've been starved in the sense of trophies, and Christ knows the fans are ****ing gagging for it <ok>

Onionman likes this.
  13. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

- As I've explained elsewhere I don't think the League Cup is that significant so in this scenario I don't place much weight on the "positive" side of the scales
    - Related to the above. Yes, we've only won one major trophy in our history but football has changed in recent years. The really big teams agree with me and don't take the early stages of the cup competitions that seriously now and their weakened teams go out more often. As a "best of the rest" type club we're now in a position where Wembley finals should happen relatively frequently. Trophies won't come as frequently but I'd be surprised if we go another 14 years without a final. We don't even need to improve (broadly speaking) to make that happen. Most Premier League teams have a decent chance of reaching the final of this competition in any given season
    - You can't risk relegation. Last time we went down it took us seven years and near-bankruptcy to reclaim our place in the top division and ultimately that was funded by Markus Liebherr. Would Kat be prepared to spend her own money to get us back in the top division? I really don't know.

14. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

15. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

I want to witness another trophy win in my lifetime, so it would definately be a cup win for me. Going down doesn't scare me as much as it does other fans and the possibility of another promotion would be quite nice, but I hope that we could actually win the Championship trophy next time.

Edit, plus we have an excellent record of staying up on the final day..:D

Libby likes this.
  16. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Wasn't the League Cup, but Wigan fiddles with its tie in the background, as well. FA Cup final with survival in the league hanging by a thread...got one but not the other.

17. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised some of you are let out on your own....no flirting with relegation for me. It's bloody hard work to get promoted and many good clubs have failed to get back up.

Missing Lambo likes this.
  18. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Winning a cup is even harder and we have had many more promotions in our history than trophies...

Libby and ChilcoSaint like this.
  19. Mr_Saintly

Mr_Saintly Well-Known Member

17th and cup yes. Relegation is just far too costly and I wouldn't even have us win the FA cup under the guarantee of relegation.

20. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

I am so confident of a cup win I would reject this proposal.