1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

R.I.P..................Financial Fair Play - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Sep 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

......and Mitrovic's tackle was bad apparently. Not a patch on this.

Dispicable_Tel likes this.
  2. Beardsley's Stylist

Beardsley's Stylist Well-Known Member

I disagree with this statement. I think FFP makes it less likely that another team will break into the top 4. The only way a team outside of the historical 'Big Teams' were going to start winning things on a regular basis would be to be bank rolled by somebody e.g. PSG, Man City etc. FFP stops this from happening

The only way you can have true financial fair play would be if every team had the same amount of income (from all streams) and that's just ridiculous and never going to happen.

The real problem that UEFA should have tried to solve was clubs going to the wall because owners overspending and then walking away leaving the club with all the debt. If an owner wants to invest in the club with their own money and have it written off so that the clubs doesn't owe it back to them then I can't see a problem with that.

So on the whole I think the end of FFP is a good thing. Although the amount spent in this transfer window is more down to TV money than the relaxing of FFP. It's only really in the Premiership that big money has been spent.

Ellis Short Is likes this.
  3. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

In total agreement here.
    It was a disgrace what they were up to on and off the ball.
    They've been at it for years though so Wenger must actually encourage it.
    I once remember seeing Overmars drop like a stone two foot away from one of our defenders.
    He wasn't even on the ball so no excuses.
    He just rolled around like a pussy holding his side.
    Luckily that day the ref saw it.

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  4. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

It needs to be a ref with balls.
    Sadly there aren't that many around these days.
    Our only decent ref IMHO is Clattenberg.
    The lad is highly rated at home and abroad.

5. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I remember Barton took exception to Gervinho doing it once <laugh>

J. J. McClure likes this.
  6. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Next thing will be seeing Tom Daley arrive at their training ground to help improve their diving technique.
    In fact, bollocks.. I'm off to the away game so will take some diving scorecards to rate them myself.

7. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

There's a misconception around the game at present that post a comment by Platinti that they might have to 'loosen' FFP rules and then the court case that was headed up by the Sports lawyer equivalent to an ambulance chaser - Jean-Louis Dupont - the man responsible for the Bosman ruling, that FFP is dead.

The reality is that FFP is unchanged - completely. The same rules apply as they have done for the last few seasons.

The case that went to the European court has been bounced out, as they have classed UEFA as a members only club in essence, and as such it can have whatever rules of entry to it's competitions that it chooses to. It's therefore got nothing to do with competition law and Brussels.

So quite what City's plan is to adhere to FFP is anyones guess but they certainly look like they're spending beyond what is possible given their turnover to meet FFP regulations as it stands.

8. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Definitely a warning

9. Tel (they/them)

Take a blanket, it gets cold in that library.

10. Tel (they/them)

They don't intend to adhere to FFP, what's the point in them doing so? They can just break the rules and get away with a fine which is nothing to them every four years.

Their facilities are incredible, I would like to hope that their long term plan involves using them a lot more than the chequebook.

11. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Their first rule infringement was a fine and a European squad reduction, they can't keep ploughing on without a thought for FFP and expect not to be santcioned further, in ways beyond a simple fine. Other large clubs who are adhering to the rules simply won't allow UEFA to turn a blind eye.

They've either gambled on a change in the FFP rules or they've got plans to balance the books in the very near future.

12. Tel (they/them)

Their turnover is rising steeply every season, but then you look at their last two transfers and it's hard to believe they have thought it all through.

I'm sounding bitter, they are building a much better thing now than they did first time round, that was inevitable.

To be honest I'm far more pissed off that Barca get away with everything on and off the pitch and Real can just go round tapping up players using the media to unsettle them.

13. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

*cough* Chelsea.

I think they were banking on FFP being lobbed out, they've been at the forefront of the legal challenge against it (quelle surprise) and have no doubt been convinced by their heinously expensive lawyers that FFP's days were numbered due to competition law.

However, it appears that advice ignored the simple "it's a members club" premise. Oh dear......

City are nothing more than a billboard for Abu Dhabi, once they've established themselves as the 'new Dubai' then City will have outlived their use, and they'll be expected to become self sufficient and maybe even sold on. Tossed away like some Arabs **** hanky.

*prays*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.