1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rangers Target Barton Wouldn't Come Cheap

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by kiwiqpr, May 17, 2016.

1. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Rangers Target Barton Wouldn't Come Cheap
    please log in to view this image

Sean Dyche remains hopeful Joey Barton will commit his future to Burnley.

However, as things stand the former Manchester City, Newcastle and QPR midfielder looks as though he'll join Rangers?

Barton's contract with Burnley expires in the summer with him already shown around the Rangers training ground (Murray Park) on Saturday with discussions over a move to the returning Scottish Premiership side.

Dyche, speaking to Sky Sports at the weekend, feels Rangers' interest shows the backing they've got yet warned he's 'not cheap' and doesn't begrudge him talking to other clubs.

'Fair play to Rangers, it shows the clout they have, because if they're talking to him, he's not cheap. It shows their intentions if they see it as viable, they must be backed well. We've been open with our conversations with him, and his advisor, but he's still got his chance to look around and that's what players do nowadays. They're open-minded to what's out there.'

Adding we'll give him 'as long as he needs' to decide if he wants to stay or not.

'We'll give him as long as he needs. He took time to come to us last year, there were a couple of different things and he wanted to make sure it was the right place and environment. He knows where we stand on it, we do actually speak to these people.'

Clearly Barton wasn't happy about his winners medal, or lack of originally, which possibly hasn't helped our chances of keeping him into next season so it doesn't look too promising regarding an extended stay at the moment does it?

The boss finished by again crediting the influence the Player of the Year has had at Burnley this season with him 'working with him' and not 'against him' taking onboard his views and opinions.

He's also got 'no problem' with him at all, or his decision to talk to other clubs now that he's got his 'future in his own hands.'

Read more: http://www.burnley.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=447017#ixzz48tLrWSk2

2. GroveRanger

GroveRanger Well-Known Member

Whew, I thought the title meant we were looking to have him back!!

I can definitely see Barton going to a Rangers or a Celtic, he'd thrive off the Old Firm rivalry.

3. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

He would be a super-star up here, and would definately thrive off the attention he would receive - don't think you'd get good odds on him staying on the pitch for a full 90mins in an old firm match though - would be great entertainment seeing him up against Scott Brown, but probably be X rated!

UTRs likes this.
  4. seagullhoop

seagullhoop Well-Known Member

He'd be a much bigger fish in a small bowl up in Glasgow, and from his ego's point of view would probably suit him down to the ground. Not much point at this stage in his career in playing in a struggling PL side (because in all probability that's what the odds are for Burnley next season despite Leicester's success in bucking the trend) when he could have a bigger influence in a lower quality league for the same (or even more) cash.

He is a player that relies on his engine (because his distribution is abysmal), and with every passing year that is going to diminish... I can't really see him having a big influence in the PL where the skill levels are that much higher.

On a positive note... if he does go up there it does mean we would have to hear less about him...

Loveitupthebush likes this.
  5. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

A match made in heaven.

6. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

or hell? <devil>

7. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Didn't Rangers go belly-up paying silly wages to mediocre players to play in a mediocre league? Nothing changes...

8. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

Yes Sooper we did :headbang:

9. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I read that Rangers want Niko Kranjcar as well <doh>

10. TheBigDipper

TheBigDipper Well-Known Member

Not nice. Glasgow Rangers in the title next time please... :emoticon-0100-smile

11. sku

sku Well-Known Member

I'd take him back at Loftus Road in a heart beat. Nedum Onuoha was a very poor appointment as captain.

Joey's proven three times with three different clubs that he'll get you promoted from the second tier at the first time of asking.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    seahoop, igor60, finglasqpr and 2 others like this.
  12. Steelmonkey

13. Hoops Eternal

Hoops Eternal Well-Known Member

Glad to see he has joined the Mickey Mouse league gravy train, what a cock!

14. igor60

igor60 Well-Known Member

This. He has proven his influence for teams (QPR, Newcastle and Burnley) as he has three promotions in three seasons! He is a great player in this level and didnt burnley voted him as their player of the year? Congratulations to Rangers and Celtic beware...

Wandle Ranger likes this.
  15. Kilburn

Kilburn Well-Known Member

Barton said it was tough to turn down Burnley but is looking forward to a new challenge at Ibrox

Rangers have announced the signing of midfielder Joey Barton on a two-year deal.
    The 33-year-old joins as a free agent on 1 July after turning down the offer of new terms at Burnley.
    He was the Turf Moor club's player of the year as they won the Championship title to return to the Premier League.
    "When I first found out there was an opportunity to come here, that got the blood pumping," Barton told the Rangers website.
    "I'm fully aware of the situation the club has been in for the last few years but to be part of a group that is going to put this club back where it belongs was an opportunity, that if I didn't take, I would probably have regretted it for the rest of my life."
    Barton, capped once for England, counts Manchester City, Newcastle and QPR among his former clubs.
    He also played the 2012-13 season on loan in the French top flight with Marseille.

Barton scored three goals in 38 games for Burnley this season

The experienced midfielder visited Glasgow last week.
    "It was very simple. I came up, had a look around and was instantly impressed - both with what is happening at the club just now but also the history and tradition of the place," he explained.
    "I went away with Rangers at the forefront of my mind, and I just knew I had to go and do it, and it was something I had to be a part of."

'Competitive animal'
    Barton spent one successful season with Burnley and used Twitter to explain his decision to leave.
    "Thanks to all the Burnley fans and everyone connected to the club," he wrote. "Amazing support this year that will live with me for a lifetime.
    "Toughest decision of my professional life to leave an amazing set of people and a phenomenal culture behind.
    "Club is in a great place on and off the pitch with great custodians at the helm. Thanks again for the opportunity to represent your club.
    "I was presented with an opportunity and challenge the competitive animal in me just could not turn down. Onwards and upwards now."
    Rangers will play in the Scottish Premiership next season after comfortably wrapping up the Championship title.
    Mark Warburton's side also won the Petrofac Training Cup and lost a dramatic Scottish Cup final to Hibernian at the weekend.
    Barton becomes Rangers' fourth summer signing, joining Josh Windass, Matt Crooks and Jordan Rossiter.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36360594

igor60 likes this.
  16. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

The Barton circus rolls on. :emoticon-0165-muscl

17. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

He has just lost his biggest ally on this site. He is now officially a word beginning with C and ending in T. Good riddance.

18. igor60

igor60 Well-Known Member

Cult?????

finglasqpr likes this.
  19. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

20. Steelmonkey

Coconut..?