1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Reids dilemma

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, May 9, 2011.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With no one knowing who the new owners might be it leaves Peter Reid not knowing if he will be in charge next season or not.

With a substantial number of players out of contract or earning more than the allowed wage limit set for DIV 2 no one knows their situation with the club.

With most clubs in the business of sorting out who they will retain or release for the 2011/12 season Plymouth are just in limbo, until who ever is in charge state their requirements regarding a manager and playing staff for next season.This is not fair on the manager and players who if not retained need to be seeking new clubs to employ them.

This secrecy is not a good way for a new owner to get the support they need to take the club foreward and certainly does not endear them to the long suffering supporters.

2. greenjock

greenjock Member

Good to see some activity on this site, gotta have somewhere to discuss all things Green!

So frustrating to be kept in the dark again over the ownership. I am now convinced that the Irish consortium will buy the club and have ties with Mastpoint. These guys are only after the club for one thing and thats to recoup the losses suffered over the last few years. I was probably deluding myself thinking that someone with the best interests of the club at heart, and maybe even a place on the board for a supporters group. Fat chance now, we're just a piece of meat, or real estate, and I don't have a lot of confidence for next season.

Much as I admire how Reid conducted himself through the unbelievably difficult times, and some of the gestures he made such as donating his FA Cup medal and paying the heating bill, I'm not sure his style is what we need to rebuild. It's more back to the walls survival football when we now have the opportunity to start a complete new squad with a more confident style of football. If Reid has the contacts to get us some promising youngsters from Everton or Man City or Sunderland on loan, then ok do it Peter. Start a revolution with quick passing and movement with young keen players.

If it's going to be more journeymen pro's who have played for 8 different clubs, battling midfielders who are great at rolling their sleeves up and fighting, then I can see us struggling even in League 2.

Unfortunately if Mastpoint are involved with us again I can only see the latter option being available.

Don't like to be pessimistic but I can't see how anyone with an association with Mastpoint has Argyle's best interests at heart.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Greenjock...........My thread "Irish Bidder"......About the cinema chain WardAnderson and Tom Anderson possibly being Brendan Guilfoyle's choice for takeover talks, hasn't as far as I'm aware had any link to Mastpoint. Guilfoyle did say the chosen bidder had no previous links to PAFC.

Regarding Peter Reid, a successful if Im not wrong defensive mid-field player and reasonably successful manager, has done a fantastic job at Plymouth under difficult circumstances.The problem is that Argyle had one of the worst leaking defences in the league,their defensive players were not the worst players in DIV ONE so why ?. Add to that the lose of BWP in January and guess what......relegation. He needed the back-up of a good defensive coach, but the restraints of cash flow meant he had to soldier on by himself.

Maybe he isn't the manager that Plymouth need at present,that would be a hard thing to say seeing Reids sacrifices on Plymouths behalf this season.Who knows what are new owners will decide when they stop hiding behind the sofa and make the important decisions that are necessary and very soon.

4. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Peter Reid isn't likely to walk without being pushed imo.
    My only though though is - can Argyle afford to keep him? - he's a bit of a high profile manager for League Two and I can't help but feel that the salary he must be accustomed might be a bit high for that level.
    If, however, he will take a wage befitting the financial clout and league level of the team then hats off to the man.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

He took quite a pay cut mid-season............worked out to nothing per hour.

6. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

If Reidy isn't the man then who the hell is???

I'm not just talking about his loyalty which in itself a good quality in a manager but what about his motivation qualities, he motivated a side most people had already given up as relegated. Give the man some credit!

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Reid-all-about-it,....is there a sneaky little clue there that your quite a fan of Mr Reid, OK he deserves respect and I am not anti-Reid, he did well whatever those dastardly ex-Directors tried to do to our club and his team.

Yes motivation was quite good but discipline by his players on the pitch was abysmal, Daily Telegraph stats for Plymouth......12 Reds.........78 yellows during the league season.The need for a good defensive coach to instill the basics,its easier to defend with a full team than having a touch of the red mist descending when it gets tough,teams would have taken note of Argyles poor discipline record.

One good stat that showed up was that we hit the woodwork 17 times......so did Bournemouth.......Southampton were top with 19 hits of the woodwork.

We all know that there was more chance of Kagami's money coming than Argyle being awarded penalties.....was it two,I can't remember.

8. WestCountrylalala

WestCountrylalala Active Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm no more a fan than the next supporter/fan.

You didn't answer my question? Who could do a better job?!

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Reidy.........you know as well as me.........the man is........D S.........of course.

10. akagreengull2

akagreengull2 Member

There are no signs that Reid will leave,he seems pretty straight and says what he thinks,however the potential for the"mystery buyer" to reject Reid is real as Reid has said himself.James Brent had already said Reid would say as manager.Like the vast majority of fans I think Reid is the man for us given the clubs overall situation,but he will have to wait until June14th,like the rest of us to know who the new owner is.

11. akagreengull2

akagreengull2 Member

P.s good to see a bit of activity on here,lets hope it takes off as a forum.

12. greenjock

greenjock Member

I'm not knocking Reid as a person, or for the way he conducted himself this season. Hell I dont think he would ever have taken the Argyle job if he had been told the full situation when he was interviewed. Who in their right mind would have?

I just see this new owners, debts wiped out situation as ideal to have a totally fresh start with new ideas and playing style. These things take time and would mean another period in the basement, but is Peter Reid a modern, forward thinking manager? I think he's old-school roll up yer sleeves and probably relishes the battle when we have a man sent off! All very admirable but its time to change and I'm not sure PR is capable of another way.

I hope I'm wrong, because he deserves a medal for the way he stood by us and I hope there is a role for him at the club but maybe as a coach with a younger manager?

Not sure who would want to take on the job if the new owners aren't willing to pump serious cash into us, but we are still one of the larger lower League teams and with new owners could be able to attract somebody more beautiful than battling! Mourinho could be out of a job soon so heres hoping lol