1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Relegation

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Feb 14, 2017.

1. brb

brb CR250

Just wondering if people have any thoughts on whether the Gills will stay up or return to League Two next season?

I know it is still too early to tell, but we are only 4 points off the drop, looking at the teams below us, we certainly struggled big time against Port Vale and I believe personally we snatched a very lucky point over the 90+ minute display on Saturday.

Bury are 21st but are they starting to find their form, let's not forget the 5-1 drubbing they gave the Posh.

Next up is Chesterfield tonight who are 23rd, followed on Saturday by a visit to bottom of the table Coventry and we still have the upcoming fixture away at Swindon on Tuesday 28th.

Cannot believe pre-season other team supporters were expecting us to be in contention with our squad, no wonder there is no pennies left in the pot!

I think by the end of this month we may have a clearer picture of our destiny, we are still 19 points off that magical 53 number.

Over to you all for debate...

2. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

The team's quality is frankly is good enough to be fighting for play offs however they haven't been lead that way. No win in our last 8 games isn't very positive and with Pennock failing to secure any wins or any improvement in perfomances at home, it's going to be a long rocky road if we stay up. If we do go down however I will not be best pleased because I couldn't stand wasting my money to see two teams hoof it back in League 2.

brb likes this.
  3. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

If we get enough points, we'll stay up, if we don't we'll go down.

Ok. that said, are they good enough to stay up.
    I watched a lot of the pre-season games and we were poor, at the time everyone told me pre-season games mean nothing and are not a indication of how the season will go, at the moment I might argue that point.
    Have I seen anything in the games so far suggesting things might change? no, we have struggled and been lucky in too many games.
    Have we seen any indication of dominating teams ? not that I've really witnessed so far.
    Can AP get the players fit enough, and motivated enough to change our fortunes ? I live in hope.

brb likes this.
  4. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

From all the match reports I read from fans on various sites, and following most games on The Wall I have to say my confidence in survival is on the wane. As a school kid I remember us becoming one of the founding members ot the new Div 4 in 1958 after finishing rock bottom of the old Third Div South. Re election to the league that year was suspended due to the incoming new format, otherwise we might have found ourselves out of F.League altogether. If we come out of this month with only a couple of measley points then I would fear the worst. It's now or never!

5. The Shouting Man

The Shouting Man Active Member

Looks grim I'm afraid. Just hope we've unearthed a rough diamond in Josh Parker, and the two Bournemouth loanees get fit enough soon...

Just hope if we do go down, we don't do a 'Tranmere' and fall straight through the trap door to non league.

6. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Should of won today if not for Pennock making crazy decsion to make 3rd sub in injury time giving Chesterfield extra time to score. At least we are 5 unbeaten.

7. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Worse case scenario if we keep drawing for the rest of the season it will get us 50 points exactly. Not really sure that will keep us up or not this year.

Think the target for the end of the season should be 60 points for a solid mid table finish now. Crazy to think at the start of the season we all expected a promotion push and we're now worried about whether we're going to stay up or not.

8. brb

brb CR250

From memory I think the average is about 51-53 points at least to avoid relegation.

9. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

2016 last relegation place 46 points.
    2015 last relegation place 50 points.
    2014 last relegation place 47 points

10. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

grumpygit
    Your post doesn't actually help - it doesn't give the points accrued by the team in 20th place, i.e what was the safety figure?
    You could have all 4 bottom teams lose all their games ( except the ones against each other ), and any of them could end up with between 0 & 10 points !

11. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I thought that anything above those i.e. 2016 then 47 points would have been safe. But, as you want the exact figures
    2016 20th place..50 points.
    2015 20th place..52 points.
    2014 20th place..50 points.

alwaysright likes this.
  12. brb

brb CR250

So my 51-53 points to avoid relegation was correct <laugh>

13. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Or you could say that over the last 3 years 47.66 average points have been safe, but you could also say that in 2010 we were relegated with 50 points. :emoticon-0140-rofl:

14. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

In the last 10 years we are the only team to go down with 50 points, in 2012 the last relegation place was 43 points, so 44 points would have been safe.
    conspiracy theory or what. :emoticon-0130-devil

15. brb

brb CR250

Yup in 2010 51 points would have been safe...At last you agree I'm correct and you're not 'alwaysright' <<< see wot I did there

16. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Funny you should say that, I was over at Dockside the other day in a furniture shop.
    There was a bed with 2 pillows, one with Mr Alwaysright, and the other Mrs Alwaysright, the assistant gave me a few strange looks when I burst out laughing. :emoticon-0136-giggl

brb likes this.
  17. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I'm sorry - I fail to see what's funny ! - I have got the same pillow cases - with monogram "I'm & He's". Mrs alwaysright also can't see what's so funny ----- strange that -- you'd have thought that watching Gills, you'd need to have a huge sense of humour.

ps I'm not going to Coventry - doing a shopping trip in the West End of London -- I reckon I'll waste less money than a football day out.

grumpygit likes this.
  18. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I'm taking Carol for a weekend in Norfolk, so will probably end up spending a lot more.
    <bubbly><hug>

19. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

I think it probably would have said Mr. Right and Mrs Alwaysright

We sell duvet covers with that design. Would give you the link to our eBay shop, but it might get moderated and that'd look stupid...

20. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Looking a genuine possibility.....sadly after today's game.

Please someone explain to me why the Gills only seem to start playing once one or two goals down..... I'm beginning to despair. The last 12 months results would look very poor on the W D L front. I can't bring myself to work them out.