1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Retrospective diving bans: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Zingy, Jan 17, 2017.

?

Should this be introduced?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Who gives a ****?

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38650163

Diving bans: Football Association considers introducing retrospective bans

The Football Association is looking at introducing retrospective bans to English football for players who dive or feign injury.

Officials will go on a fact-finding trip to Scotland, where retrospective bans are already used.

In England, players are currently only given retrospective bans for incidents of violent conduct.

It is understood a rule change would require agreement from all football governing bodies in England.

Burnley boss Sean Dyche believes diving would be eradicated from football "in six months" with retrospective bans.

According to a report in Tuesday's Times newspaper, senior figures at the FA are keen to press ahead with the move.

Dyche's comments come after two recent incidents in Premier League matches.

Robert Snodgrass apologised for going down without contact to earn a penalty for Hull against Crystal Palace, while Dele Alli won a debated spot-kick in Tottenham's 5-0 win over Swansea.

At the start of the current season, Hearts' Jamie Walker was given a retrospective two-match ban for diving to win a penalty against Celtic in the Scottish Premiership.

The Scottish FA found him in breach of disciplinary rule 201 as the "simulation caused a match official to make an incorrect decision". The player contested the charge, but the compliance officer's verdict was upheld.

Under current Football Association rules in England, players who pretend to have been fouled should receive a caution for simulation, which comes under the category of unsporting behaviour, if the incident is spotted by the match officials.

However, this can only occur during matches at the moment.

upload_2017-1-17_15-51-11.gif
    Data correct as of 11 December 2016

The question of how to deal with players who dive or cheat has long troubled English football.

The law which allows retrospective punishment in Scotland is being examined closely by FA chiefs.

But any changes in England would require agreement from the game's various stakeholders. That means the Professional Footballers' Association, League Managers Association, English Football League and Premier League would all need to reach a consensus.

Concerns over player's cheating is on Fifa's mind too.

Marco van Basten, the former Netherlands striker who is the world governing body's chief technical officer, told the BBC last month it is discussing rule changes to increase "honesty" within football.

That could include a rugby style regulation that would allow only the captain to speak with the referee.

Discuss. I even made a poll. #effort <ok>

2. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

I think everyone should be banned from diving.

3. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Need to be conclusive evidence...ie no contact...even when we know it's obvious there's no way to prove simulation under contact unless it's admitted.

4. moreinjuredthanowen

HELL YEAHHHH.

come on give me a hell yeah....

please log in to view this image

jenners04 likes this.
  5. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Would this apply to muff-diving as well? <laugh>

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  6. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

I beg your pardon?

organic red likes this.
  7. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Rectified <laugh>

8. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Yes but it has to be clear as day, clearly shows no contact, day light between each person.

Any my kind of touch and can't punish them even if looks like a massive dive as you just never know if they lost their balance.

However, only issue is would it stop refs punishing them in game in knowledge that they can leave it and let video refs look at it afterwards.

Also 2 game ban seems harsh when if caught in game it's only a yellow card. Can't have different punishments depending on when you were caught.

And if youre booked for diving in game game does that allow you to now appeal if clearly shows contact was made?

9. saintKlopp

If it can be done fairly I'd support it. Diving is one the banes of modern football imo, and anything that significantly reduces it gets my vote.
    How has the Scottish experiment worked out?

10. moreinjuredthanowen

so would you charge the two patently obvious attempts to get an opponent sent off that occured this weekend. Not just herrera's actions which were a blatent professional foul followed up with a clutch of his face when his opponet reacted but i think we say a city puss try the same too.

I would certainly charge both in this instance.

I would go back to rugby. each match has an "independant" citing officer who can take complaints form both teams and charge people as well as his own review

If LFC could complain about pgoba's elbow, herrera and then phil jones then maybe the utd ****s might not try so hard to make snide fouls and dives. .. I've lost count of the times i've seen blatent stuff unpunihsed and i just feel that if both teams could cite for things then there might be an initial pletora of issues but they'd all stop doing it pretty quick

FFS look at how amny times you see a player like firmino who i saw roll about and roll about until a ref cards someone then just get up. How many la liga matches have you guys watched where its actually really poor fare as half the match is taken up with these guys.

11. moreinjuredthanowen

they are still in the UK.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  12. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

About ****ing time!

Just hope they'll concentrate on clear cut dives. I don't want to see them making judgements on 'there was contact' dives, we'll see more #conspiracy theories that way...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  13. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

There doesn't have to be contact for a free to be given, but in the main it's something I would support.
    Another thing I want to see changed from a usual yellow to a definite red is really cynical fouls, usually in the middle of the
    park to prevent breakaways.
    The most recent example would be Herrera's ridiculous pull back on Firmino at the weekend. I want ref's to have the power to
    give red cards for that ****. It's anti football.
    And before the Manc's freak out (Tobes inc.), if that was Hendo pulling back Ibra in a similar fashion I would say the same thing.

johnsonsbaby and saintKlopp like this.
  14. saintKlopp

Thanks. <ok>

15. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

That'll be Ashley Young retiring early then!

16. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

I think Martial picked up enough Dives on Sunday to be out until April...

... 2032.

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  17. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

18. Lucaaas

Lucaaas Well-Known Member

No.

For the reason its as much a part of the game as defenders grabbing at set pieces etc. Defenders gain an advantage against their opponents all the time, why shouldn't attackers be allowed to do the same?

The solution to diving should be to improve the collective refereeing ability in the league and make sure the referees are good enough to differentiate between diving and an actual foul.

19. moreinjuredthanowen

citing system. trust me it keeps rugby relatively cleanish.. in so far as a thuggish sport can be.

20. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Something like that would be a perfect example of a orange card and 5-10min sin bin. It's a bit too much for a red but as you say it's far more cynical for the yellow