1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Right to Reply

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Mar 14, 2017.

1. brb

brb CR250

Well here we go, as you know sometimes I can get a little out spoken, I'm sure my friends would agree I'm a very independent minded person, my opinion is my own and can quite often be to the contrary of others.

I'm not out to purposely upset people, but I can be a little heated in response if people try to point blank dismiss my opinion. Generally people start trying to belittle or shut me down, only this week I got called precious, which in my opinion I viewed as condescending just because my opinion was different to theirs, also told Christ let it go, but why should I when my opinion is as valid as their's after all they can always simply leave the conversation.

So what's happened you may ask. Well recently i defended on completely separate occasions two players Rory Donnelly and Chris Herd.

The latter one sided view of the comments now appearing in a youtube video by this said blogger. Quite nice to think I took up several minutes of someone's youtube blogging video, famous at last! Just a shame i was not asked for comment before it was posted, even though my name was not actually mentioned.

So sorry people but I use this as my right to reply;

I'm sick to death of supporters, not this particular blogger, pretending to be a players best fan, then slagging them off behind their back. It's the look at me syndrome at events, parties and various other locations, asking for favours but then mouthing off about them in the next breath, oh and just for you mr blogger, I very rarely retweet players to say how good they are, I'm not that type of person.

I'm sure most on here would agree at least my opinion is consistent, even if a little war & peace at times, but I promise to keep taking the medication.

Then we have bloggers who will quite happily slate players, but dismiss any acknowledgement of another opinion.

I've watched this club for over 40 years, I will say as I feel when I feel, I don't care if you are a blogger or someone that is seen with players more than their partners.

I have as much right to defend a player as you do have to criticise them, even if said blogger unfollows me because he couldn't handle my right to shout just as loud.

The post match events these days seem to resemble something of a RE boo boy clan and after Bolton tonight they are going to be in full flow for sure is sure.

And as for Herd stopping a runaway train in the first half, it's me metaphorically speaking, that you and your buddy choose to ridicule - my precious.

I noted a few points from viewing your vids, which by the way are quite good, but you use words such as constructive & positive criticism, may i in the politest sense suggest you research the meanings of those words.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    grumpygit and itstimupnorth like this.
  2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

brb - I thought you had a thick skin - or is that just your head ?** (( only joking ))
    Eveyone is entitled to their opinion. You and I may have empathy for most of the time - but there is much about which we disagree regarding football (( perhaps I have a more open mind with some matters )) - yet we can have a civil and healthy debate, and still go to matches together.
    The Gills forum is generally well mannered - and that should be the same for all forums and various types of social media. Why is it necessary to descend to vitriolic nastiness?
    brb - I have no knowledge about the matter in your post. Could it be a bit of light hearted teasing that you have taken too seriously ? I pose the question because the use of the term 'precious' is not normal from the Toby's of this world - and to me ( in the absence of seeing the blog ), might indicate somebody a bit more articulate - and has embarrassed themselves to merely resorting to school ground behaviour than to form constructive criticism.

** the only one with a thick head is me - I knew we would be stuffed by Bolton - so why did I bother to go ? ( especially as the Gills hardly 'tried'. )

ps - I know we sat next to each other at the Scunthorpe game - and should have had the same view of things - but I thought Chris Herd was poor. I thought he was slow and definitely not suited to be playing in defence - but that's just my opinion - you technophobic old dinosaur <laugh><laugh><laugh>

3. brb

brb CR250

Agree with most of what was said. Maybe I'm just getting too old and long in the tooth. To me there is a difference between the banter of the old days and Big Ship and his taste for pies, and then some of the stuff spouted off today on social media.

Yeah I know as Pegleg will remind me, I've had my differences about Joe Martin, especially when he played alongside Barcham. Also my differences with Cody and Dack being in the same team. However, when all is said and done I was always constructive in that opinion and backed it up with reasoning even when the majority saw it completely differently. Btw Joe was a changed player to the good under MA and he rightly got my praise, while pegleg took the p ;)

But in none of that time did it lead to insulting players, I think would i say it to their face, if not don't say it!

Clearly I'm just an alien that comes from a different planet. Yes i joined in the banter over a certain bag of cement but that was just banter, nothing personal. Even McCammon never got my wrath, other than me to say i saw things differently and again was able to back it up with facts about the day.

4. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

Everyone should have the right to an opinion, and no-one should dismiss someone else's opinion out of hand. We all see things our own way - strewth even experienced and generally neutral pundits disagree on television. And things vary from game to game.

I'm not in much of a position to comment on this season's crop as I've only been to 2 games this season (no. 3 coming up on Saturday of course), and it's therefore impossible for me to comment in detail on specific players OVER THE COURSE OF SEVERAL GAMES. That's the important bit. Players have good days and bad days, even at the top level, and you shouldn't judge a player unless you've seen them in a variety of situations, because the way they play on a particular day is also going to be influenced by the way other players are performing, and also what the manager has instructed them to do. I've passed opinion on players performances in particular games, and will continue to do so, but that doesn't give mean someone else hasn't seen the game differently, perhaps even because they have a general inclination to like or dislike certain players. And does one outstanding game make a player great, or one abysmal performance make them bad?

There isn't enough room on this board, or enough hours in the day, for full reasoned argument on every opinion, but in general at least brief reasons are given to back up opinions expressed, and that's perfectly fine. Just to call someone because they have a different opinion (if that is what has happened, as I haven't seen the video either) is just school playground childishness, and should be given the appropriate amount of seriousness.

brb likes this.
  5. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I wouldn't dream of commenting on brb's right to a opinion, however, the rumour that he posts under a pseudonym on this forum I can guarantee that he is definitely not "alwaysright"
    :emoticon-0136-giggl:emoticon-0136-giggl:emoticon-0136-giggl

brb likes this.
  6. brb

brb CR250

Thanks for the replies to all my fellow not606ers, and a few other points I wish to raise that later came to my attention.

Firstly there are YouTube clips containing match footage. Now I was doing this several years before this guy, I actually got banned from YouTube for doing it as it is a breach of EFL regulations, and the EFL as it is now known also sent me a warning letter, so either policy has changed or the author has a licence...

Next point why is Josh Wright giving the fan an interview after his penalty hat-trick. Especially when said fan was critical of his very own team mate in that game, yes it is but a supporters allowed opinion but surely from a club perspective it has to be against some media and/or club policy considering the comments aimed at Chris Herd that day, It's good to see players interact but I've been banned for far less and this site has received club warnings in the past too.

Josh may not have been aware but it reinforces why public interviews ought to be vetted beforehand.

If this is the way forward I best sort out myself an interview with Cody ;) Over to you pegleg <laugh>

7. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Constructive criticism I'm all for but the abuse some of our players have received is apalling. It really riles me when some of our fans cheer at the demise of our own team. A prime example of this was unfortunately Rory who is a prime target for the boo boys. When he came off injured against Southend, there were some old blokes in the back couple of rows of Block 1 in the RE that actually cheered! I couldn't believe my ears that they had done that, he hadn't done anything wrong in the game and as soon as he gets a nasty injury, they're celebrating because he's leaving the pitch! Disgusted was a understatement.

Now I'm not denying that Rory has struggled this season with confidence being a considerable factor and that does nothing to help. When he missed the 1 on 1 chance against Wimbledon and they scored 30 seconds later you could see how distraught the poor guy was but because of prats like that in Block 1, he knew he wouldn't ever hear the end of it. He full well knew he should have tucked it away, don't spend the next 2 games berating him every time he gets the ball for crying out loud.

Also brb if you do interview Cody, make sure you ask him why is his goalscoring record so much better than any other striker that has played for us in 25 years? ;)

brb likes this.
  8. brb

brb CR250

I've started to call them the RE boo boys, fed up with it mate, they need to look up the definition of constructive. Can't wait until the player of the year awards, will be able to see if any of them are blagging photos with the very players they slagged off.

Maybe we could post pics of them with the very comments from earlier in the season underneath <laugh>< joking >

9. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

don't think his record is better than Asaba , King Taylor or Jackson.

10. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Asaba.......................36 goals in 77 appearances, 2.138 games per goal.
    Taylor.......................33 goals in 72 appearances, 2.181 games per goal.
    King..........................40 goals in 101 appearances, 2.525 games per goal.
    Jackson....................38 goals in 104 appearances, 2.736 games per goal.

Cody.........................75 goals in 188 appearances, 2.506 games per goal.

Cody has a better goals per game ratio than King and Jackson, whilst Asaba and Taylor are better over a short period, whether they could have maintained that rate over the long term we will never know.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017

11. Gil Lingam

Gil Lingam ex-pat

I think that you mean games per goal ....

:emoticon-0140-rofl:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  12. alwaysright

Please be gentle with grumpygit - he got confused with our current conceding ratio

13. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I apologise, I did mean games per goal, cut and paste compounds the first error multiple times. <doh><doh><doh><doh><doh>

14. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

I was referring to amount of goals scored gio <ok>

15. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Always, as you've brought up the subject of conceding, are you aware that with 67 goals conceded we have the worst defence in league 1.
    I might also add that Leyton Orient are bottom of league 2 with 67 goals conceded, the only team to concede more goals than us is Rotherham who are bottom of the Championship and have conceded 87 goals.

16. alwaysright

Here is a classic example of statistics and damned lies ! You can make the numbers mean just what you want. Whilst I accept that conceding goals increase the danger of losing matches, I could say that you can't win games without scoring ! At the moment we have scored more goals (51), than any of the other teams below us in L1. Coventry (32) and Oldham (26) are below us - not because of their fantastic defences - but because they can't score at the other end of the pitch.
    I accept that our defending has been dreadful - but it appears that there are fans of a number of other teams in L1 in a worse position than ourselveshttps://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiB0aOwy-nSAhWIJsAKHZNhAusQ3ywIHDAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjHPOzQzk9Qo&usg=AFQjCNFmma6VS0o0PctfTBC5KIyeUz06DQ&sig2=lDfL8sc2QSeX_KRWIMVmMg&bvm=bv.150120842,bs.1,d.d2s