1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rival Watch / Other Teams

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, Dec 27, 2012.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

There is too much Wenger politics in the Arsenal hierarchy for him or any other manager to come to us. They still haven't resolved the Wenger issue yet, and i think we will see things drag on for another season or two before they have the balls to sort it out. Well what i mean by balls is Wenger failing to get into the top 4 next season, then you'll see those business men jump to action.

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It's not over until the fat lady sings. We have to win our last game and hope that Liverpool don't win theirs. Can they do a Spursy and **** it up at the last minute ?

3. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

I refer you to : http://www.not606.com/threads/hack-watch.336393/

Today is not going to change anything on that front, manager or players.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  4. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Can you force the Poool to :

1. wear white shirts and navy blue shorts
    2. eat a hefty plate of lasagna
    3. have their GK possessed by the spirit of Fulop

If the answer to all of the above is no, your luck has finally run out
    and a trip to Astra Goo Goo awaits next autumn/winter.

5. 667 - The Neighbour of the Beast

That's a blinding amount of speculation! What did Levy do to Murdoch? Shag his mistress?

6. 667 - The Neighbour of the Beast

I think it's very sad how this has played out. I can see why the club has acted the way it has. We've all had the benefit of hindsight but none of this would have been obvious to the board as it was playing out. Wenger has been one of the most successful managers in Prem history and up until this season was still earning his bacon for the club. You do not let go of that lightly.

I'm still not sure that it is the right thing to do to get rid of him. I know that isn't going to be a very popular view on this board having followed the various arguments from a distance. I don't see what the problem is in giving him another two years. The alternative is to get rid of him and run the risk of going through a succession of new managers before we find someone who still isn't as good as him, as Liverpool has done (since Benitez) and United has done (since Sir Alex). The rational thing to do would be to keep him and plan his succession rather than to force him out of the club and expose the club to a managerial lottery.

PINKIE likes this.
  7. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

<laugh>Dear lord

Is that you Chips?

8. 667 - The Neighbour of the Beast

<laugh>
    Why, yes! Yes, it is!

All joking aside, now you can understand why I kept a safe distance!

It is a very sensitive subject at the moment. I fully understand that. My very real worry however is that we may be kicking Wenger out of the frying pan only to land the club in the fire.

9. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

This <applause>

10. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

That would hold true if you believed Wenger is somehow holding us together instead of holding us back.

Which, in my opinion, is complete horse manure.

11. 667 - The Neighbour of the Beast

You are more than entitled to your opinion. It appears to be the opinion of the majority of us. I would whole-heartedly change my opinion if the club demonstrated to me that it has a clear plan for its future. The absolute worst thing that can happen imho is for the club to shamble into a new appointment having knee-jerked off the back of adverse fan reactions in dismissing Wenger (or otherwise leading Wenger to believe that it is in the club's best interests for him to leave of his own accord).

I feel for Wenger because I think most of those against him simply want change for change's sake and without having properly considered the future.

Do I want Wenger to stay on indefinitely? No.

Do I want Wenger to leave now when the club clearly has no plan for his succession? No.

Therefore, what is the best possible solution to the apparent stalemate? For me, it has to be to keep Wenger on for two more years in order to enable the board to find his replacement.

I think a lot of fans would be placated if the club came out and told us that Wenger was being kept on for two more years in order to plan for his succession. I think a massive part of the problem lies in the fact that fans sense that the club either doesn't have a clue about the future or is lying to us, neither of which outcome is going to endear us to it.

Of course, it may be the case that Wenger isn't prepared to play the part of caretaker manager for two years and may be holding out for a longer contract which the board is refusing to agree to. We don't know, but if that is the case then I would urge the board to tell him to take it or leave it. I suspect however that the board wants to keeps Wenger and that it's simply down to abject cowardice that neither it nor Wenger is telling the fans what has been decided. Probably rightly too, since the inevitable backlash isn't going to be of any real benefit to the players especially when they still have unfinished business.

All of this will come out in the close-season.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  12. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

My issue is we should have already had a plan of succession in place BEFORE we reached this point. Wenger is out of contract, and was always going to be out of contract, yet the board did nothing about it.

People are saying 'give him another 2 years so we can properly prepare', We should have prepared 2 years ago...

Whats to say the board won't do the exact same thing in 2 years time?

13. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

As has been mentioned though, the benefit of hindsight is great. 2 years ago, we had just won the FA cup and signed Ozil and Sanchez, so things were relatively okay. You can't say now that because (if) we finish outside the top 4 that suddenly Wenger has to go and that the club should have planned for this event back then. It doesn't work like that.

I'm with Beastie 100% on this. Whilst it would be great to suddenly decide to get rid of Wenger and shoehorn in Simeone or Allegri, that just isn't going to happen, and the reality it that if we sacked Wenger now, then we'd probably have Steve Bould in charge for a season or two, or a merry go round of average managers. Things aren't great at Arsenal, but the could be a WHOLE lot worse if we made a rash decision. I'd much rather see Wenger keep some semblance of stability, whilst the club plan properly for his successor.

14. 667 - The Neighbour of the Beast

^^^^
    This
    <applause>

PINKIE likes this.
  15. lazarus20000

Jurgen Klopp on Liverpool's summer transfer plans - most of the work is 'pretty much done'
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...gen-klopp-liverpools-summer-transfer-13069333

Jurgen Klopp has revealed most of the work is “pretty much done” as Liverpool seek to bolster their squad for a crack at next season's Champions League.

And the Reds boss has offered the tantalising prospect the club are significantly down the line towards making signings when the transfer window opens in July.

And he said: “We have already pretty much done (the work). We have to see. Most of the work is already done, of course.

“(It's not like) tomorrow with Michael Edwards we will sit together and speak about what we think we need!

“Now we have to make decisions. Negotiations need to be done. All that stuff.

Why can't we do this. Start getting our targets identified early and then move straight in once the season is over? We always seem to pussy foot around and do things at the last minute, which has a negative effect on our pre-season/opening season.

16. Quilllogic

Quilllogic Active Member

Wenger is a ditherer and always has been.

17. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Well, looks like United are signing Griezmann.

He just admitted to a '6/10' chance of moving to them this summer.

How in the world can United afford to spend this kind of cash? He'll be 86m.

18. lazarus20000

They make a huge amount of revenue from merchandising, TV rights and ticket sales. They are a big global brand. Also if they win the Europa, they'll get money from that and qualify for the CL and get money from that.

19. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Good to know that the Chairity shield is now considered a major trophy, we have won four trophies in three years then, Wenger in.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Maureen's treble <rofl>

Mourinho is a **** and always will be a ****.