1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rival Watch / Other Teams

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, Dec 27, 2012.

1. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

<grr>

2. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

still better than AW which you defended till the last minute despite what was obvious for everyone else except you.
    and yes what he done yesterday was childish, but tactically yesterday he showed why he is no.1 manager in the world
    yes as a person he is an arrogant kid .. but as a manger he is the best atm and his record speak loudly

3. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Both managers can be arrogant twats to be honest. As for the best in the world, no, but he is still one of the best.

4. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I don't even think he's one of the best anymore. I want Wenger out probably as much as anyone in the country but if the only alternative was Mourinho I wouldn't take it. He's going the same way as Wenger. Tactically stubborn, slowly been caught up and overtaken by other younger managers, instils dour footballing mentality, can only achieve anything seemingly by spending billions. And not only that but he's just an unpleasant person too. Get rid.

winifred122 and lazarus20000 like this.
  5. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Not sure I would agree with that.
    Jose inherited a **** show at United.
    He won 2 trophies in his first season, thats the same amount Wenger has won in the last 13 years.
    2 in 1 or 2 in 13.
    I would say Jose is better.

6. lazarus20000

I get your point as he spends so much money and still plays dour football. But he still wins trophies which is enough for a lot of fans. But I agree, I wouldn't take him now, he's too bitter.

7. lazarus20000

I agree he is better than Wenger but at what cost. He needs to spend she'd loads to get wins.

8. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

None of what I said contradicts that. I said he was going the way of Wenger. I didn't say he was currently as appalling as Wenger. But he's not good enough to replace Wenger with.

United had De Gea, Rojo, Depay, Mata, Martial, Rooney, Smalling, Hernandez, Carrick, Blind, Young, Herrera, Shaw, Valencia, Fellaini, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Lingaardm Darmian and Rashford when Mourinho took over. Hardly a **** show.

If a manager inherits that squad and on top of it has to spend hundreds of millions and the net result is terrible football and the weakest two trophies available won then whatever.

Consider the opponents.

Europa
    Ajax - terrible
    Celta Vigo - terrible
    Anderlecht - terrible
    Roslov - never heard of them
    St Etienne - are they even a football team?
    Fenerbahce - terrible yet still finished above United in the groups
    Feyenoord - terrible
    Zorya Luhansk - who?

Carling Cup
    Southampton
    Hull
    West Ham
    Man City B team
    Northampton

I know you can only beat who's in front of you but United have not bested a single good football team to win either trophy. Check out the City starting XI before you might try and argue that one.

Yes, I get that winning in trophies is better than winning no trophies. But if you took a pretty impressive and expensive squad, added another few hundred million pounds of players to it and all you could manage was those two then I'm not seeing anything impressive.

Tinpot trophies like Carling Cup and Europa league (and FA Cup to an extent) are appeasers in the lean years. Clubs as big as United can't use them as yardsticks.

No doubt Mourinho will go and spend another £300m this summer. Meh. If he has to do that to win tinpots then it's not particularly impressive. Unless of course he spent that much, played incredible football and destroyed everyone on the way to winning the league or CL. But I can't see it happening.

9. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Not sure the Europy is tin pot anymore especially now it has a CL place. I would even say its miles better than getting top 4. You get a coveted european trophy and CL spot in the league stages which is better than 4th.

As for the europy run, none of them are famous big clubs but on their day they can upset the giants. Feynord or champions of Holland. Celta Vigo battered Barcelona earlier in the season and FC Rostov turned Bayern over.

10. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

They'd all finish mid table at best. The quality of football in the europa this year was atrocious.

If it was a coveted trophy then UEFA wouldn't have had to throw in a CL place as a carrot to make teams give two ****s about it.

11. BobbyD

BobbyD President

That's the point, now that UEFA has thrown a CL spot it is now coveted.

You could say the same for finishing 4th in the league, if only top 2 went to CL no one would give a **** about coming 3rd or 4th. As it is, 4th gets you a spot and all the big clubs are scrambling for a top 4 spot minimum

12. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

But you said it has two bonuses... Being a coveted trophy AND giving you a CL spot. But if it's only coveted because it gives you a CL spot then the trophy itself becomes tinpot. Which it is. Especially when all the teams in it are ****.

13. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I would say the european attitude to the trophy is that its a big one. Just because historically our clubs have thrown it to finish higher up in the league doesn't mean its a tin pot though.

What do you rank higher, the PL or the CL? I think most people would say the CL is the pinnacle of football (or should be as arguably all the strongest teams are in it).

However even this year, you have Spurs putting out weakened sides and effectively throwing it to go for the PL. Brenden Rodgers did it too with Liverpool as well. Does that make the PL better than the CL?

As for the **** teams in it, there are still big teams in it. You might as well the PL is **** as arguably on the top 6 are any decent. Everton are on par with all those crap teams United took on this year.

14. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

What is it that Spurs were "throwing" this season : CL or EL ??

15. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Spurs didn't throw it, they were just rubbish ay Wembley. The CL is bigger than the PL yes.

If Everton were the best team in a competition then by default that makes the competition tinpot in my view. However I'd say everton would have beaten all the teams united played in the Europa this year, that's how tinpot it was year.

16. BobbyD

BobbyD President

okay maybe not throwing but spurs were putting weakened sides out from what i remember. Certainly the emphasis was on the PL (looking at the lineups between games). Either way the point is, prioritization was on the PL not the CL

17. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Deviated so far away from the original point. Spurs being turd in the CL doesn't mean that the europa was anything other than a tinpot of **** football this season.

18. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

City already splashing the cash and getting their business done.

Why can't we just get on and do things like this. So unfair. <wah>

19. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

What you remember is incorrect.
    The teams were not weak for the players that were available
    for each particular CL game. The teams played poorly, period.

20. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

And they brought Bernardo ****ing Silva as well, if they sort out their defence, and that's a big if, the attacking talents they have should make the favourites for the title next season.