1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rival Watch

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Style, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Jose puts 3 fingers up. If he had a mallet finger (look it up ;) ) it would have looked like 2 and a half ...and more accurate!

2. Stan

Stan Stalker

Yes

3. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ah, so that's why they are extending Anfield. Trying to get more smiley faces into their ground. Bit like this then:

please log in to view this image

Sir Tennisball and Diego like this.
  4. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

City looking to pay £34m for Benfica keeper Ederson. FFS, the guy hasn't even played at full international level yet - what price does that put on De Gea if he decides to go.

5. Style

Style 'where is the love'

Wenger signed a two year deal. I think everyone will be happy with that!

6. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Man City chairman Khaldoon al Mubarak told the club website he was not a happy man after the club finished third in the Premier League

"There's nothing that annoys me more than people either calling me or sending me a message congratulating me on third place," he said.

"My answer was pretty standard to everyone, 'don't congratulate me on getting third, there's nothing to congratulate, only congratulate me if we win the league'.

"So, this is not the ambition, not at all. There's nothing to celebrate. I think it's something which is important, it's critical, and I know it requires a lot of hard work, particularly in this league, to be in the top four, but our ambition is to win the league. And if not winning it, to go as close as physically possible to winning the league."

Lesson for the RS who have been celebrating their 4th as some major achievement and the sign of massive progress under Kloppyflop ? <laugh>

7. glazerfodder

Bet they thought the league was in the bag when they signed Pep. I'd give him another year to prove himself in the PL - another failure of a season and he will be out. #messiah

8. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

To be fair to Wenger, he did somehow turn his teams form around with a change of system at the end of the season.

They finished the season strong with 5 at the back, which seems to be working for a lot of teams now.

9. glazerfodder

That's Arsenal nailed on for 4th then

10. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

"Manchester City's ambition is to win the quadruple in what chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak says will be "a massive year" for the club next season."

There you have it, boys! You can all go home now and not bother with next season. City has already won all four trophies.

11. King Shergar

Well in the current game it is just to unrealistic to think anyone can win all 4. Even the treble we did in 99 is unlikely to ever be repeated.

Even to win the league and CL is very difficult. We are still the only English team to manage this.

Chelsea and Liverpool had to completely sacrifice their league form to win the CL. That's why to me they where never truly the champions of Europe, as you can't be European champions, if your the 5th best team in England. More like they where the luckiest teams in Europe.

12. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

But King, we still won it in 2008 - CL and League, I mean. I don't know about winning four, but two should be doable for a good team. I don't think it is as incredibly difficult as it is made to be. The whole thesis on sacrificing one for the other is flawed in my opinion. Other teams in Europe manage to do it quite frequently but I know that we would like to keep telling ourselves that Premier League is unique and how we don't get winter breaks.

What it probably comes down to is lack of depth in squad. With a formidable group of 15 players and 7 squad players, I don't think it's as impossible as we think to win the league and CL.

13. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's not impossible, but you need to have a really top class team that has the ability to keep getting results consistently in the PL, whilst also competing with the best in Europe. That is part of the problem - it's much harder to rest players and put out a weakened side and still get something in the PL, whereas Real, Bayern, Barca etc get away with it most weekends in La Liga.

I don't think any of the clubs in the PL are there at the moment tbh, it will be another couple of years before they can reach the level we were at in 99 and 08.

cytrax likes this.
  14. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

The only way Citeh are going to achieve the PL part is if their games against
    Spurs are scheduled to be played on weeks 37 and 38. :)

15. King Shergar

Whilst I don't think the PL, CL double is impossible I believe it is super difficult. In betting terms id say it is about 100/1 for any of the CL clubs to be able to pull it off next year, with the exception of Liverpool, it's 1000000000000/1 for them <laugh>

Look at the team we had in 08 to pull it off though, we had quality right throughout the team.

I do think it is tougher in England than in other European leagues to pull off that double, as I feel the PL is so much more competitive than the 3 other major leagues. So if Bayern, Juve or in some cases Madrid or Barca get to the late rounds of the CL they can often afford to rest players, as they are either so far clear, or they are playing a team their first team would whoop 8-0.

I'm not saying the PL is better than these divisions, as I don't think it is, I just think it is more competitive. There aren't as many easy games for the top teams, and there are a lot more teams who can win it. So I think it's always going to be tougher for a PL team to pull off that double.

16. glazerfodder

And becoming more relevant each year, with the growing number of fixtures, is the fact that only PL teams do not get a winter break - all the other teams in the CL benefit from the rest so for a PL team to win it, regardless of whether it is as a double, is always going to be a greater achievement.

17. King Shergar

There are some simple solutions to this, which I don't believe would effect English football all that much.

The first one is we could scrap the league cup, and play PL fixtures on the nights the league cup is supposed to take place. This would free up some space for an Xmas break.

The other one that may be controversial to some, and it is to get rid of FA Cup replays aswell so we could fit some PL fixtures in those nights.

I do like the Xmas fixture period as a supporter, but if it ment English sides benefited in Europe from getting an Xmas break, I could accept a winter break being introduced.

Sir Tennisball likes this.
  18. glazerfodder

I'd be more inclined to keep the Xmas fixtures, which is a great family treat for many, but to let teams have a break in the beginning of January

Sir Tennisball and King Shergar like this.
  19. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

The fixture list has been fixed for a while. Apart from second round that got added to CL, what else has changed? I firmly believe it comes down to quality of squad. We keep talking about 08, but we actually got to the finals in 09 as well only to lose to Barca. We had 50/50 chance of winning it. Again, it was the squad quality which I simply don't see in the league today. Which takes me back to 08 again...

King nailed this one... Just look at this squad lineup and the bench which had Giggs, Nani and Fletcher for that final in 08:

GK 1 Netherlands Edwin van der Sar
    RB 6 England Wes Brown
    CB 5 England Rio Ferdinand
    CB 15 Serbia Nemanja Vidić
    LB 3 France Patrice Evra
    RM 4 England Owen Hargreaves
    CM 18 England Paul Scholes
    CM 16 England Michael Carrick
    LM 7 Portugal Cristiano Ronaldo
    CF 10 England Wayne Rooney
    CF 32 Argentina Carlos Tevez

Substitutes:
    GK 29 Poland Tomasz Kuszczak
    DF 22 Republic of Ireland John O'Shea
    DF 27 France Mikaël Silvestre
    MF 8 Brazil Anderson
    MF 11 Wales Ryan Giggs
    MF 17 Portugal Nani
    MF 24 Scotland Darren Fletcher

This is what we are missing today. We have way too many sub-par and young players across the field. This is also why the lower teams are catching up. If we have the team of 08 on the pitch today, there is literally no way in hell the likes of Pool, Spurs, Arsenal or even Chelsea would stand a chance. Quality of squad is why Barca, Bayern, Juve and Real dominate their league. They heavily invest, and not necessarily just in fees paid, but they put effort into getting players that meet their requirements - Juve especially. I believe Jose will be working hard to plug in quality across the part this close season.

20. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

BTW, where is Treble? I haven't seen him around lately. Did he change his name?