1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rory Gaffney signs!

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Will be a loan deal. Waiting on details of the deal but here is his info on wiki....

Rory Gaffney
    (born 23 October 1989) is an Irish professional footballer who plays for English club Cambridge United as a striker.

Club career
    Gaffney started his career at League of Ireland First Division team Mervue United before joining Premier League team Limerick in July 2011.[1] He completed his studies at the Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology while playing in Ireland.[2]

On 25 November 2014 Gaffney agreed a move to League Two club Cambridge United when the transfer window opened. His first season was beset with injury and he made his Football League debut on 26 September 2015, replacing Conor Newton in the 81st minute in a 1–0 win against Stevenage at the Abbey Stadium providing the cross from which Cambridge scored.[3] Gaffney went on to score twice on his first start for Cambridge United in the 3-2 away win over Yeovil Town on October 23.

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Scored 19 goals in 17 games in Ireland for Limerick but that was over a 4 years period!

Scored 2 goals in 5 games for Cambridge since he joined them.

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Not really an inspiring signing as was suppose to be a big man from a championship club who plays in their development team who is hungry for 1st team football. Seems weird loaning a Cambridge player who has only played in 5 games this season and we are hoping for him to improve us!

I do have a strange positive feeling with this signing though. Something tells me he will be a sucess with us and of course I will back him 100%. I do though think this was a desperate signing though from DC.

Do you think we should have kept Blissett or prefer this new signing?

4. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No Blissett isn't good enough he can barely score in the Conference. Cambridge fans aren't happy about him coming to us I think hes been injured that's why he hasn't play many. We haven't got a chance of signing a striker from the Championship unless he's about 18. I agree CJS I've got a good feeling about this signing :emoticon-0148-yes:

5. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

6. mark1gas

mark1gas Member

Well I didn't expect us to sign Harry Kane but come on... A bench warmer and injury prone league 2 player???i just hope for our sake that I'm wrong! But I really did expect someone from maybe championship or even prayed for a young ambitious hungry premier youth player..... Silly me!!!
    Desperate signing I think!
    I personally think there is no money in the pot! Yet the rovers faithful will still be expected to turn up to watch a mediocre game week in week out and listen to the same excuses.. " we huffed and puffed but can't seem to put the ball in the net"
    Sorry for being so negative but as many of you who have followed rovers for the last 30 yrs or more the last few yrs have been the most frustrating for me and to see and hear the same old Crap gets boring to say the least.. I would like just for once to see some serious ambition from the club I have supported from age of 7 yrs old...
    As I said at the beginning I hope I'm very wrong and I wish the guy the best of luck and to give him a chance but I won't hold my breath!!

7. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

He did well yesterday and looks like a good signing.

8. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Thought he played well tonight, held the ball up well, put himself about and took a lot of pressure of Matty Taylor

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I said I had a good feeling about this signing. So far from what we have seen, would you try and sign him up full time?

10. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

So far so good. Yeah I would like to see him signed up permanently for sure.

11. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

It's always tricky with loaners as we have found out in the past, it would probably be best to make a measured judgement at the end of the spell rather than after just one or two appearances. It must be human nature to these guys to up their games on a loan deal and especially so during the first one or two outings, no one I guess would wish to be classed as a duffer when they are here for just a short time.

12. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Read in the press that the Cambridge supporters were upset that he was allowed to leave on loan

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I remember a certain tool (or should I say O'Toole) that he was a good player while on loan with us.