1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rosberg Retires!!!

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by eddie_squidd, Dec 2, 2016.

1. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Bloody Nora!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38185846

World champion Nico Rosberg has announced he has retired from Formula 1 with immediate effect.

The 31-year-old German won his first world title on Sunday, beating Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton by finishing second in the final race in Abu Dhabi.

"I have climbed my mountain, I am on the peak, so this feels right," Rosberg said in a Facebook post.

Rosberg won nine of this season's 21 grands prix, beating three-time champion Hamilton by five points.

"For 25 years in racing, it has been my dream, my 'one thing' to become Formula 1 world champion," he added.

"Through the hard work, the pain, the sacrifices, this has been my target. And now I've made it."

The son of Finland's 1982 world champion Keke, Rosberg made his F1 debut for Williams at the Bahrain Grand Prix in 2006, finishing seventh.

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said the news took him "completely by surprise."

"We now have to consider options and we will start to look at it on Monday" he added.

taeleon likes this.
  2. eddie_squidd

Just realised people have posted on this. Does it deserve its own thread?

3. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

Well there goes punishing Hamilton by sacking or suspension! XD

4. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's the most shocking driver news in years. I think it probably does deserve it's own thread.

5. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Somebody said this earlier, but it seems he told Mercedes he would retire if he won. I think Pascal is making preparations as we speak. Alonso is what we all want but unlikely.

6. eddie_squidd

Nico Rosberg:

“Since 25 years in racing, it has been my dream, my ‘one thing’ to become Formula One World Champion. Through the hard work, the pain, the sacrifices, this has been my target.And now I’ve made it. I have climbed my mountain, I am on the peak, so this feels right. My strongest emotion right now is deep gratitude to everybody who supported me to make that dream happen.

“This season, I tell you, it was so damn tough. I pushed like crazy in every area after the disappointments of the last two years; they fuelled my motivation to levels I had never experienced before. And of course that had an impact on the ones I love, too – it was a whole family effort of sacrifice, putting everything behind our target. I cannot find enough words to thank my wife Vivian; she has been incredible. She understood that this year was the big one, our opportunity to do it, and created the space for me to get full recovery between every race, looking after our daughter each night, taking over when things got tough and putting ourchampionship first.

“When I won the race in Suzuka, from the moment when the destiny of the title was in my own hands, the big pressure started and I began to think about ending my racing career if I became World Champion. On Sunday morning in Abu Dhabi, I knew that it could be my last race and that feeling cleared my head before the start. I wanted to enjoy every part of the experience, knowing it might be the last time… and then the lights went out and I had the most intense 55 laps of my life. I took my decision on Monday evening. After reflecting for a day, the first people I told were Vivian and Georg (Nolte, from Nico’s management team), followed by Toto.

“The only thing that makes this decision in any way difficult for me is because I am putting my racing family into a toughsituation. But Toto understood. He knew straight away that I was completely convinced and that reassured me. My proudest achievement in racing will always be to have won the world championship with this incredible team of people,the Silver Arrows.

“Now, I’m just here to enjoy the moment. There is time tosavour the next weeks, to reflect on the season and to enjoy every experience that comes my way. After that, I will turn the next corner in my life and see what it has in store for me…”

7. fevriul

fevriul Well-Known Member

Jenson button for the free seat? Seriously though, this is amazing, conspiracy theory this was the price of letting him win the WDC

8. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I dunno, I'd like to see what Wehrlein is like in a good car, he's looked pretty good for Manor this season.

9. eddie_squidd

If only he could have retired one race earlier! :emoticon-0130-devil

ErnieBecclestone likes this.
  10. eddie_squidd

I don't buy that for a second tbh.

11. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

Fair play to the lad..
    WDC, beat, who some claim one of the greats of F1 in the same car.
    Going out on top, no better way..
    But news did shock..
    All the best for the future Nico!

ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  12. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Makes sense to go for a young for the future driver. If they were going to poach someone they'd poach Vestappen not Alonso.

I'd choose Pascal, worse case scenario it's a short term fix. Give them a year to test the market.

13. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

Most likely going to give the second seat to Pascal, if the car is decent, he'll score enough points to help the WCC and most likely not be quick enough to bother Hamilton.
    We'd all like to see someone like Alonso, Vettel even Button in the second seat, but that could be a pipe dream..
    One driver that may be in with a shout could be Perez, he's got a contract with FI but I doubt they'll push too hard to keep him if a deal could be had to get him out of that contract.

14. taeleon

After the headaches the Nico/Lewis drama has caused them they may go for a young driver and have a number 1 and number 2 going forward. It would be less of a headache but also with the prospect of a much closer grid next year may also be a benefit to the team.

15. St. Slicks of Stoneham

St. Slicks of Stoneham Active Member

Sounds like beating Lewis took a lot out of him and he couldn't face going through that again. It was his year and he had a little luck on his side. Life's ambition achieved.

taeleon likes this.
  16. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

WOW.

Absolute bombshell news.

Button is the pipe dream but the retainer he's on with McLaren to stop info leaking might prevent him signing up.

Vettels shaky season at Ferrari might play out with more than interesting consequences now!

17. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Ocons face

18. taeleon

I knew this would start coming up. xD I don't buy for one second that Merc sabotaged Lewis to give Nico a retiring dream. Lewis was just unlucky and Nico had a great season. Nico of last year or the year before would have still lost to Lewis and Lewis just underestimated him a little this year I think but by all accounts still had a fantastic season.

If Merc really wanted to guarantee Nico won the championship, Lewis' engine would have gone pop in one of those final 4 races too.

19. eddie_squidd

Benson keeping true to form: "While thinking about how hard winning that title was, doubtless his thoughts were also about what it would take to beat Lewis Hamilton to it again."

20. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Ocon's promotion to Force India came early to be honest he can't complain if Wehrlein is in Mercedes in March, rumours that Bottas to Mercedes in return for Wehrlein to Williams and some big bucks...