1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Rotherham - tough game?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Bit worried after those two great wins on the road that we'll come back to the CCS and try to make some sort of a statement of intent that could backfire. This will be a very different game. Rotherham aren't going to lie down and will battle in a way that Leeds and Derby failed to do on their own patches.

I'd prefer to see us get over the line with another solid defensive display and a bit of skill in midfield to unlock them - a single goal victory will do me.

I know I've said that Halford isn't quite my cup of tea <laugh> but assuming all are fit, I've come around to thinking that starting the same 11 again may be best, though I think Whitts may eventually be the answer to opening them up.

If they sit back as I expect them to do, then Gunnar could be the vital ingredient for us going forward rather than holding. I even expect him to get on the scoresheet and I've gone for him in the prediction league.

2. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

I actually prefer Gunnar as an attacking midfielder. Saying that the transformation in him under Warnock is unbelievable.

My worry is we will ease off. Pressure isnt really there now.

Saying that I wouldnt fancy facing Warnock in the dressing room if we dont give our all.

3. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Not bothering with a bet on City winning today - odds far too short at 1/2 for the win.

Had a look at the scorer odds and for some inexplicable reason they've got Halford listed at 15/4 and Gunnar only at 5/1. <yikes>

I know which one I'd back to get on the end of something in the box and I've stuck a tenner on Gunnar to score (any time), and another fiver on him getting the first goal at 16/1.

I'm assuming Healy will be on the bench and if he comes on and I'll have a look on my phone at the odds offered on him to score. I reckon I might risk another few quid on him bagging one.

4. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

On phone - Healey starts!!
    Must be worth a punt but only offering 7/4 for anytime score but 6/1 for first goal. Bollocks to it - a tenner gone on @ 6/1. <ok>

5. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

the bookies win again............healey off on stretcher>>>>>>>>your a jinx sparkey <laugh>.

anyways messing aside, I hope the lad`s ok and its nothing 2serious injury wise

6. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Bookies always win in the end aber- learnt that a long time ago.....<laugh> Still all good fun so I've stuck another tenner each at half time on Harris and Hoilett getting 2nd goals @ 5/1 and 10/3.

7. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

<laugh>....i like it dude <ok>........you did say the key word about gambling sparkey(fun)>>>>>>>but remember once the fun stops>>>>>>>>> pull the plug :emoticon-0177-toivo

8. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

5-0 win and I pick 4 scorers and it's still 45 quid down the pan....ces't la
    vie....<laugh>
    I looked half time and Zohore was quoted @ 22/1 to score 2 or more in the 2nd half. <doh>

9. Blue Sheep

Blue Sheep Well-Known Member

Rotherham easily the worst team we've played in a while!

suprimir likes this.
  10. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

We put them to the sword though blue. not something we'd have done under Trollope or slade .
    Saying that, when was the last time we won by five?

11. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Last time we scored 5 v Barnsley 2011 5 - 3

Last time we on by 5 or more Wurzels 0 Us 6 2010.

I think.

Happy to be proved wrong.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  12. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

WTF ... 7 wins in last 10 . Almost a dark horse again .

DaiJones likes this.
  13. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

We have a very winnable run of fixtures in front of us too.

Rotherham were terrible but we should have scored at least a couple more. Not only that all 5 goals were quality finishes. Harris and Zohore are turning into players wer can really look to build a first 11 around next year.

Unless he takes a massive pay cut I think Whits will leave this summer. Warlock needs funds. And the question of where Whits fits into a side is one no city manager has been able to answer for knocking on 4 years now.

We have a side that's pretty close to top end playoff material under warnock already. They have to find a way to give him a few quid to add the finishing touches. Doesn't Manga leave this year? Whits and his wages would probably cover 4 chapionship players. First time I've been genuinely excited about our prospects for a long time <ok>

14. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Could easily have had double figures - Rotherham were that bad. I think Warnock knew it and dropped Halford putting Healey on from the start.

What strikes me lately is that it's the front men getting the goals from open play rather than relying on dead ball situations as the way to win games. Harris, Zohore and Noone have picked up their games no end and with Hoilett and Pilks back, it all looks very promising.

The only word of caution is that yesterday it was Rotherham. The quality in this division varies widely and were were something a surprise package to both Leeds and Derby who both expected to beat us. That element will have vanished with recent results and Warnock will have to use all his experience to overturn far better sides than Rotherham - Fulham up next will be a real tester.

They are a very, very good young footballing outfit and a totally different proposition. They walked over us in the Cup a few weeks back and it's time to redress that.

15. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Thats the important point Sparks. We still have the set piece up our sleeve if needed, but its good to see some open play goals for a change. And not just against Rotherham. Leeds and Derby as well.

The thing is now, they are playing with a bit of confidence which is a big factor, especially against the better sides. Not saying we'll walk every game, far from it, but that positive attitude is what picks a point from a defeat or turns a draw into a win. Something we were on the receiving end of earlier in the season.

Healy's impact off the bench will be missed but we do now have a few options on the bench. Who'd have thought Kadeem would keep Hoillet out of the starting line up!!!!!

I can now see why Colin reckons he only wants another 3-4 players for a promotion push, especially if one or two those out on loan find a bit of form.