1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rugby fans?

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by banksyisourhero, May 18, 2015.

1. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Bluebaldee inadvertently made me start to wonder this and I thought it may be worth a thread?

Since Bristol rugby have moved to Ashton Gate I have attended quite a few of their games this season, now I know you will think this is because its not at the Mem anymore but its genuinely not, a good friend of mine loves the rugby and the fact its at the Gate convinced me to go take a look, I enjoyed the atmosphere and the fact you can have a drink whilst watching. My friend is City but did attend the Mem for the rugby, which I didn't so I suppose the move has affected my decision in a way.

My question is have any of you stopped going to the rugby even on an occasional basis because it has moved to Ashton Gate and would you attend if they made the premiership?

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

This thread aint for me but I wanted to comment so you know I wasant ignoring it. Im not a rugby fan. I'll watch the odd 5 nation game and world cup game but not all all interested in anything else. Im just glad they are no longer on the Mem's pitch as the pitch couldnt handle both football and rugby. Now they have gone, the Mem's pitch has looked quality all season.

3. banksyisourhero

Fair enough! I was worried about our pitch too but it appeared to handle it easily enough.

They did take a while to get the marking colours right though..

4. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I went to one of Bristol's games a few years back with someone from work and I must say I didn't enjoy it one bit poor atmosphere boring game the fans seemed more concerned about beer then the game. I'm not really a rugby fan anyway so that probably didn't help just thought it would be a change from watching football for once.

5. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

You're not lying that it don't interest you, it's the 6 nations now <laugh>

But I'm the polar opposit with rugby enjoy internationals but don't follow club rugby, whilst don't follow international football. But I am welsh

6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Who is the 6th nation then?

You got England, Scotland, Ireland, France & Italy. Who is the other?

gas likes this.
  7. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

I've been to watch the egg chasers a few times over the years but never really enjoyed it much. It just hasn't got the same passion as football, but then I can't think of any sport that has.

If I got some corporate tickets, and I do from time to time, I'd have no problem watching the rugger buggers at trashton.

**** atmosphere, **** game played in a ****hole. <somersault>

8. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

I enjoy watching the rugby internationals probably more than the football ones. I could not afford the prices to go the Gate to watch Bristol so don't go anymore.

9. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

I go to see Bris about once every 2 years and it wouldn't worry me one bit about watching down BS3. I quite enjoy the rugby but it's very much secondary to football.

I might have to leave a poo somewhere it shouldn't be if I did go down the Gate. Just sayin'.

10. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

Wouldn't EVER catch me at the gate unless the GAS were there. Horrible ****hole it is.... plus rugby is ****ing ****e anyway

11. RedorDead

You didn't go there when we played you the last two times??,

12. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

How do you know I was not there Rodney? I do hope you are not following me still :(

13. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

CJS the principality of Wales is the 6th

14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I know old timer. I knew it was 6 nations but accidently typed 5 nations. I didnt even notice the error until ROD pointed it out and as he comes from that side of the bridge, thought I would joke around asking who the 6th was :)

15. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I watch Bristol a fair bit. The ground doesn't both me, although the pitch is better without rugby at the Mem.We had to play on some terrible pitches when rugby was played there as well. It hasn't affected City, but if you get a wet winter rugby destroys the playing surface.

16. banksyisourhero

So, the majority of you would have no problem coming to Ashton Gate, thanks you for your answers.. I was actually surreptitiously carrying out some market research for a company who were thinking of moving to land at Ashton Vale that now won't be used (even by dog walkers)

Horseworld will now be staying in Whitchurch, where it will be safer.

17. old timer

Win tonight will give them one foot in the premier, they say league results don't matter in these situations but I think they helped us against Grimsby and Bristol won both matches against their final opponents

18. old timer

Bristol losing h/t

19. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

lost by 1 point. oops.

20. RedorDead

Funny you should mention Ashton Vale, take a look at part of the new ring road. I saw some diggers moving in there yesterday.