1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Rugby Union - 2016 6 nations championship

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by finglasqpr, Feb 3, 2016.

1. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Surprised nobody has started this thread already as it starts in a few days time. Big of a hangover as the world cup is not long finished and there were a few disappointing performances there from the Northern Hemisphere teams.

I fancy Wales to win it and Scotland to cause a surprise or two along the way.

Who do you think will win it this year?

Fixtures - Saturday 6/2/16
    France V Italy
    Scotland V England

Fixture - Sunday 7/2/16
    Ireland V Wales

Discuss,

2. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

3. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to it, but the World Cup (England aside) was so good it's hard to think this will come close. If England look like they are moving forwards and beat Wales I'll be happy. Ireland or France ones to watch.

4. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

As an Englishman I shall be watching in hope rather than expectation. I fancy there'll be a surprise this year, such as Scotland beating Italy!!!

5. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Ireland or France

6. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Hard to call which is great for the competition. Scotland performed well in the WC, so could surprise a few. England will have their work cut out on Saturday.

7. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I think it's a pretty open field this year. The first two games on Saturday will be key to how the rest of the tournament progresses. The team that can use their core skill most effectively whilst under pressure will make a huge difference, as will power and pace. I think the Welsh have the edge there.

I'm looking forward to seeing the young Saracens flanker Maro Itjoe. It will be interesting to see if he can step up from club level if given the chance. The same goes for Ireland's Josh van der Flier. What a great name, who is another young un-capped flanker.

I'm going for Wales to win it.

8. factamondo

factamondo Well-Known Member

Really can't pick a winner....its up for grabs to all bar the eye ties!

9. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

C'mon Aussie

10. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

As I said in my earlier post, I will be watching in hope rather than expectation, but I think England have a massive point to prove and that might be the motivation that drives us on. Can't see us winning it although it will be quite open, but I can see some good performances that may restore a bit of faith and, more importantly, pride.

11. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

England 7/4 favourites to win it outright ! Got a feeling Scotland could turn us over,going to be a bearpit up there on Saturday.

12. QPRNUTS

QPRNUTS Well-Known Member

This will be the tightest six nations in years. France, Ireland and England are still in transition. Scotland are improving steadily and may cause an upset or two. Wales look to have the most settled and balanced squad and are slight favourites in my book.

13. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Read a piece in the Sunday Times saying how the 6 Nations is the only major tournament not to operate the bonus point system and saying that average try count in the 6 Nations is roughly half that of the other comps with a premium on goal kicking......so could become a straight shoot out of penalties to decide the winner rather than the team scoring the most tries......

Maybe they should introduce the bonus point to encourage try scoring and increase the entertainment value......

As for a winner, far too close to call but feel the French may surprise a few by reverting back to their attack from anywhere approach......

rangercol and GoldhawkRoad like this.
  14. QPRNUTS

Nigel Owens was calling for a bonus point system too recently. It's the way to go IMO

rangercol likes this.
  15. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Agree the old farts at the RFU need to come into the 21st century.....

QPRNUTS likes this.
  16. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

I wonder what the police presence will be like in Dublin on Sunday with the shooting at the Boxing weigh-in today?

17. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

What happened?

18. durbar2003

durbar2003 Well-Known Member

Irish police are investigating the death of a man shot dead at a boxing weigh-in at a hotel in Dublin.

Two men were also injured in an attack that happened while a boxing tournament weigh-in was going on at the Regency Hotel on Swords Road, around three kilometres north of the city centre.

Police and paramedics arrived at the scene at around 2.30pm on Friday afternoon.

The two other victims were taken to The Mater and Beaumont hospitals with what are suspected to be gunshot wounds. The scene has been sealed off.

The attack was carried out by three men apparently armed with AK-47 assault rifles and dressed in police-style uniforms, according to Irish media reports.

In a statement, police revealed they found three injured men, all in their 20s or 30s, with one of these men "pronounced dead".

The weigh-in was ahead of a Clash of the Clans boxing bout at the National Stadium in the south of the city, scheduled to take place on Saturday evening.

Dublin Fire Brigade said two fire engines and two ambulances were at the scene.

Fighters on the bill include Dublin boxer Jamie Kavanagh, who will fight for the WBO European lightweight title against Portuguese Antonio Joao Bento.

19. Eamon Holmes

Eamon Holmes Well-Known Member

I see the women's 6 nations is also taking place. Scotland v England kicks off at 18.00 today (Friday). Not on telly anywhere. Damn.

20. QPRNUTS

Crazy incident but it will not affect security at all on Sunday. Rugby matches regardless of the opposition never cause problems.