1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic RWC 2015

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by matelot-tiger, Sep 18, 2015.

1. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

We were ****, absolutely garbage. Pocock and Hooper won possession or a penalty in nearly every ruck. Not to mention basic handling errors. An embarrassment in short.

CityRMD likes this.
  2. ImperialTiger

ImperialTiger Well-Known Member

Yep. England scored a try. That happens about once a year. I'd rather watch the Pacific Islanders who try and get the ball across the line rather than get it as close to the posts as they can.

4 tries should be worth 3 bonus points when England are playing.

3. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

I don't really understand rugby but we were clearly second best in every area. Australia were quick with the ball always dangerous and looking to penetrate and full of ideas. Watching England rugby team was like watching us, absolutely no idea how to break an enemy down, the odd bit of magnificent individual skill pushing forwards a bit but could never break down the defence, there was always a second barrier ready to step in.

Thought South Africa looked a very strong side in the second half earlier (missed the first).

My locality is by and large a rugby area, I'll be glad I can rub a bigger catastrophe in their noses than the football team has ever managed, whom they constantly take the piss out of.

Thinking of getting a printed Foley shirt to wear down the pub.

4. Willson

Willson Well-Known Member

England weren't that bad, Pocock and Hooper were just fantastic at the breakdown and we had to completely adapt our game to try to counter their ability. Supporting Japan now for sure, they're playing great Rugby.

5. Davies Headband

Davies Headband Well-Known Member

Must be Burgess to blame somehow

Lincoln Tiger likes this.
  6. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Burgess wasn't very good. Neither were a lot more. Don't know why he was picked with so little experience of a different codes. It isn't like when Jonsthan Davies switched codes and was head and shoulders above other in his position.

7. ImperialTiger

ImperialTiger Well-Known Member

Even if they score 4 tries against the USA they are more than likely going home (unfortunately).

8. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

England showed no imagination, no guile and no creativity (sound familiar so far?). I wonder if they're just over-coached.

9. matelot-tiger

matelot-tiger Active Member

Well now I've had time to calm down, just thinking at least England rugby shirts are going to be cheaper, every cloud and all that!

10. Tuckin

Tuckin Well-Known Member

The NY Jets flew over 250 of their own toilet rolls for this week. They needn't have bothered - those England shirts would do the job.

11. Quill

Quill Bastard

Watching it right now. Much better than Union. And League.

(In my opinion.)

12. Tuckin

Tuckin Well-Known Member

Not if you're a Dolphins fan. Bloody awful.

13. Lincoln Tiger

Lincoln Tiger Well-Known Member

For someone who has played the game for 10 months and was played out of position (he's never a centre), Burgess did pretty well actually, though it was far too early in his progress in RU for him to be there. He actually only started one game in the WC to be fair: against Wales he made a killer break and offload that should have been a try, and was topping the tackle count; led the metres gained and kept a British Lion Jamie Roberts quiet until they took him off after 64 minutes. Oddly, until Burgess went off they were 10 points up, after that Roberts did as he wished...the rest is history. He came on late against Fiji and again against Australia last night, so a bit harsh to judge him on that.

Anyone who blames Burgess (like one or two dumb journalists with anti-RL issues) simply don't understand the game or is stupid. The problem was far more systemic than that. The main issue with England was the forwards, from the set pieces e.g. the line out last week, the scrum against Fiji and Australia (5 penalties given away last night), a lack of a decent #7 - Chris Robshaw is a blindside flanker and should never be playing open side flanker. (and I say that as someone who ended up playing OSF towards the end of my playing days).

Some of it is down to poor leadership e.g. Lancaster played 13 different centre pairings in 15 games. Also the coaches and team knew what Hooper & Pocock would do at the breakdown and yet they still let them do it. Interestingly, when Burgess came on he hit three rucks and stopped them both stealing the ball. How come our other experienced players hadn't figured this out - or supported breaks where it was obvious players would get turned over if left stranded. Again, I saw every game Burgess played for Bath last season, and he was actually doing this for Bath in his more natural position as a blindside flanker. Also playing for Bath, he occasionally did some clearing out - a skill apparently it would take him years and years to learn. He is no way the finished article, but with his rate pf progress I fully expect to see Burgess playing #6 for England within a year and perhaps #6 or #8 by the time of the next WC. He'll be the poster boy of hate for ****wits like Stephen Jones in The Times and Paul Hayward of the Telegraph - but hey ho!

The naturally gifted Jonathan Davies (who was my favourite player of either code) actually took some time to settle into league. He played a few A team games and had to bulk up a bit, and the Widnes coach Dougie Laughton gradually eased him in (as a winger/full back and centre) and alongside a team of very gifted players. He eventually settled into off half in RL - though in truth he was a better centre than off half in RL. He also made it in the Australian NRL for two different clubs - probably the toughest domestic competition in either code.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  14. Quill

Quill Bastard

Absolutely, they've been shocking. Mine don't kick off till 6.

15. matelot-tiger

Always said that really, Robshaw isn't an 8. I thought Burgess was more than holding his own, certainly didn't look out of place in a very mediocre England side, his positioning was pretty spot on, just a couple of his kicking decisions were maybe questionable. I don't think he was bought in too early, look how Jason Robinson fitted in to the test side that toured South Africa, they totally under estimated his ability.

16. Happy Tiger

Happy Tiger Well-Known Member

Now we're out, can't we stay "ok, its our ball/balls, we're sulking, now **** off"?

17. Lincoln Tiger

Lincoln Tiger Well-Known Member

I think you meant 7 not 8 - but completely agree. Stephen Jones wrote Robinson off when he switched codes and then look what happened. Burgess and the Farrell's are hated amongst the press corps because of their RL backgrounds. They 'tolerate' the Ford's because they are doing relatively well Ford Senior as coach at Bath and Ford junior for Bath/England. Watch them turn on George Ford when eventually loses his England place or loses form. Aside from being a city fan, I am a big RU fan, but I hate the bigoted shoite that gets written by the hacks, it is embarrassing and 50 years out of date. Anyway rant over...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  18. EdmontonTiger

EdmontonTiger Active Member

I
    If you don't think League is any good I surgest watching the NRL final
    Wow what a game that was, some great tries, big hits and fantastic atmosphere.
    Prob one of the best games ever of either code!

19. matelot-tiger

Yeah 7, league will always be seen as poorer cousin to union. Union has better marketing and is played pretty much across the UK. Journalists who report on union, have and probably always will slag off league players who switch to union, unless they win a World Cup that is.

Anyway today's were pretty good, Italy were outstanding really, best I've seen them play I think.

Results were:
    Argentina 45 Tonga 16.
    Ireland 16 Italy 9.

Day off tomorrow, RWC back on Tuesday with;

1645: Canada v Romania. KP stadium.
    2000: Fiji v Uruguay. Stadium mk.

20. Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR

Mrs. BLUE_MOUNTAINS_BEAR Well-Known Member

You picked a winner there TC. Hope you enjoyed the match in which the worlds best player lived up to his rating.