1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saint Steven!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Jul 29, 2015.

1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

PS3

holierthanthou likes this.
  2. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

I must admit to not hearing of his alleged off the field indiscretions.
    I thought he came across well in his interview and although the choices of clubs he has signed for have been questionable, I think they've been done for the right reasons. e.g. to play first team football.

I expect he could have quite happily stayed at spurs and sat on the bench, but instead he has played 60 odd games over the last couple of seasons and will be better for it.

I'm feeling strangely optimistic about this signing

3. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Caulker has been poor in his last couple stops. However, he has to realize that he has to be at his best here. Saints owe him precisely nothing...he won't get playing time because he came at a high fee, and he won't get playing time because we simply have no options. If he doesn't perform, he's at best our fourth CB, and could find himself out of the matchday lineup entirely when Gardos returns or if one of the kids progress. And if we cut him loose at the end of the loan after being used sparingly, good luck to him getting another Premier League gig, because I don't see QPR bouncing straight back.

If he can look at all that and still doesn't perform, either the player with Swansea was a mirage, or he's too dumb to trust for a club intending to go somewhere. For just the cost of wages, worthwhile risk on our part to find out whether one or both or those are true, or if there's still a good CB in there.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  4. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Its a win win. If he gets back to his best we have a gtreat stopper. If not no big loss.

5. Saintharry13

Saintharry13 Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, the Black Box, Les, Ronko, the scouts and Ross have come to the decision collectively as to whether he has the potential and skills needed to do well.

I think it will be a whirlwind experience for him to go from big time charlie living the London life to being under the guidance of Kelvin, Josè and Ronald.

I expect him to be found out in his early weeks skill wise and then Ronald can weave his magic to unearth a gem potentially as long as Caulker isn't too short minded to accept the guidance.

KillerCephalopod and fatletiss like this.
  6. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Interesting thta Les siad we have been tracking him for a long time. This isnt a snap panic decision.

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

My only doubt with him is his reputation for bad behaviour....hope he realises we are Saints. :)

8. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Jose and his cohorts will keep in the check or he will be out

9. fran-MLs little camera

Apparently he was cautioned for swearing in the street!! <yikes>:emoticon-0127-lipss He must not be allowed near our Academy lads unless they wear ear protectors. :grin:

10. Cardiff_Saint

Cardiff_Saint Active Member

Mate of mine worked for Cardiff when he was there and was charged with attempting to keep his indiscretions out of the public eye. Apparently he was thrown out of a few pubs while here. But then so was I at his age then, people mature and change so we'll see what we get now.

11. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

On the contrary, I'd guess it was a slight panic decision, in so far as we've been tracking him for long enough now without ever buying him that I really don't think he is currently in our top five CB targets. I know Saints don't do panic buys, though, so I'll rephrase that: I'd say our hand has been forced by this European tie and Gardos' injury - otherwise I'm pretty sure this wouldn't have happened. I don't think this was in our plans for this window at all, personally.

12. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

Sounds like his biggest mistake there is going out in public, though. When you play for Cardiff having come from Swansea, is probably fairly hard to stay out of trouble unless you stay at home.

Plastique Bertrand likes this.
  13. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Spoke to a Swansea fan earlier about him, here was the reply I got sent...

"He was so, so good for Swansea. Was certain he'd go onto be first choice international CB. Then stopped playing as much for Spurs and had a poor spell at Cardiff. And QPR is a car crash club. If Saints can get him back anywhere near like he was at Swansea, they've got hell of a player."

What he said ^

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  14. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Yup, I fully agree with all of that <ok>

15. James G

James G Well-Known Member

16. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

Even if he has a stellar season, he will still not raise any interest from the teams that finished to 6 last season , and they are the teams that can afford his silly high wages that QPR pay him. At the end of this coming season he will be looking at having his current wages or going back to QPR. Here's hoping he has a good season and puts his football first and signs for us next year

17. fran-MLs little camera

18. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

If Yoshida keeps playing at the level he is now, then Caulker will struggle to shift him from first choice next to Jose. If we "upgrade" to VVD next to Jose then Caulker will indeed be 4th choice. It might be the impetus he needs to try and recreate his early career form, given that he's never really had competition for a starting place before. Strength in depth at the centre back position will be a new experience for Saints.......am very happy about our annual team rebuild so far

fatletiss likes this.
  19. fran-MLs little camera

Commentator on BT said that Caulker was lucky that a team like Southampton came in for him. Ignoring the suggestion it makes about Steven, it was good to notice how high Saints have risen in the public/media consciousness. The club seem to think that Caulker has the tools to be a good defender....he was before and hopefully will be again for us. The more competition for places, the better.

20. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Off-topic, but your point reminded me of a moment on Radio 5 last week when they were talking about players who have yet to transfer and someone mentioned Rickie Lambert as being good for WBA, Villa, and the like. Then the presenter suggested Southampton, and the pundits all said that Saints had evolved into a different side. Which is diplomatic speak for they've moved to a higher level. :)