1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saints give Jack Cork a 48 hour ultimatum

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

2. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that an entire thread on here is founded on people swallowing a newspaper article in its entirety. If the article had said "Clyne to go to (insert club name here)" there would have been more than a little scepticism.

Vin

3. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

And it's the Mirror.......

4. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I think the chat is somewhat more general about his situation than just discussing the Mirror report.

5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

'Twas ever thus. You're dealing with giddy illogical football fans whore refuse to take hold of themselves when the opportunity presents itself [like now]. What do you expect..? :D

6. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Reported for calling me a whore.

7. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Really..?

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Exactly. Some haven't read the article.

9. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

What do you think?

10. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Yep. Some like to think others freak out over nothing. I see no people going crazy over it. There is more then just one paper saying the same, even the Dutch press are saying it. The people in this thread are just discussing what we think and there is no harm in that.

11. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

I understand what you are saying but if we ended up with two of Wanyama, Davis or Schneiderlin out he is useful cover and we need that at the moment rather than thinning our squad further. If he wants to leave I am sure he could be persuaded to give his all until the end of the season if it thought it might improve his chance of a better contract elsewhere.

12. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

I have no problem with Cork not playing. He's not first-choice right now, and Reed is looking like he's ready for a step up. If Cork isn't going to be here next season the team has look towards other players who will.

But Cork not even training with the first team is going overboard. He's obviously somewhat decent otherwise we wouldn't be offering him a contract so it's not like he's wrecking anyone's training. Besides that, we are in a tight race and we might end up needing him. If Gape were better, he'd already be starting.

And.. we just owe it to him as part of his contract. He has lived up to his end of the deal, we should live up to ours. He's not guaranteed playing time, but he should at least not have to rot in the reserves and train with the kids despite being first-team standard. At worst, if Cork is leaving and/or we have moved on and he wants to play then we can surely find him a loan. There are plenty of teams that could use him. I'd even be happy to pay some or all of his wages to help to widen his options.

13. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Whatever Cork decides to do he has been a loyal and commited player for the team and the club. Good luck to him whether he goes for a free or sells for 20 million, fans shouldnt expect too much from players and with 6 months left on his contract and a midfield chock full of quality he can put his feet up in the dugout as far as I care. Thanks for your service Jack!

14. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

15. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

People were saying if Shaw was better then he would be playing instead of Fox. When I mentioned how good Targett (before he played in the first team) was some posters said if Targett was any good he would be playing in the first team now as he is the same age as Shaw. Now look at both of them, it doesn't matter if they are better, it matters when the manager thinks they are ready to step up. So the 'they would be playing if they were better 'stance is wrong. The training away from the main squad is worse case scenario. If Cork decides not to try etc.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  16. fatletiss

Mmm so you want him here not playing? Why? And why is him being loaned out worst case? Surely him being here and not playing is worst case?

I think you've ignored the key point as to why the club want him to sign or go.... so they can get his replacement in. The club want him to stay as they have offered him a contract. They are just asking him if he's going to sign it. If he's not, then the club are doing the right thing to push that decision and get a replacement.

I don't understand your view. Most the fans seem to want him to stay; the club want him to stay. Does Jack want to stay is the only unanswered question. If the answer is no, then let us move on. The club is bigger than any player.

17. fatletiss

Exactly Beef!

18. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

Why is this being considered a big deal? He's served his contract out pretty much. If we wanted good money for him we should have got rid in the summer. Its totally his right now to see out the contract. he's not blocking anyone, he's not preventing anyone from signing anyone else. He's been a great player for the Saints, shouldnt we just be thanking him and waiting to see what happens instead of getting anxious about will he, wont he. Anyway, Classie is coming, it said so in the paper..

19. fatletiss

Who said it was a big deal?

All I am saying is that I think the club are trying to do this right. They want him, they offered a contract. He has stalled/not signed it so they want to know his plan while the window is open.

I understand the clubs view perfectly. I also understand that Jack can see out his contract and understand why the club don't want that to happen. It is nothing to do with wanting big money I believe, more about having players here who want to play (under Ron's terms).

20. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

But why would he not play if he stays? We're in the middle of a race for a top4 finish, we need every able player.