1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saints give Jack Cork a 48 hour ultimatum

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Jan 26, 2015.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

If he's not selected? And, if you read back through the posts, some people have raised the possibility that he may not be 'up for it' if he is going in the summer, or if the club wanted to sell him now, but he didn't go. In the case of my response to that poster, he raised the fact he felt it would be ok for Cork to stay and not play - not me. Most posts need to be taken in context of the post they replied to and the previous flow of conversation. I am as guilty as most for not doing that.

Let me be clear - I am not saying he won't play or won't be up for it, I am using the worst scenario as raised elsewhere. I have said before, I hope he stays long term.

2. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

It's getting to the point where I actually want him to go now, just so we can close this thread!

3. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

This thread has opened my eyes to people that actually like a millionaire footballer so much. They think it is ok for him to do nothing until his contract runs out.

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Jack has a contract...he has no obligation to sign another one or to leave early. As long as he trains and is available to play, I have no problem with him staying till the end and then leaving.

5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I think you're a fine upstanding individual. <whistle>:D

6. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Fran, people get this. It won't stop us trying to get a good bid for him if he decides to leave tho.

7. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Ahh, okay. Then we're on the same page. I don't think it will happen, but yeah-- if he refuses to try then of course the club needs to take the appropriate measures, same as they would with any player regardless of contract status or time served.

It thought you were advocating threatening him with that in order to force him to sign an extension and/or following through with it as a sort of punishment for not staying.

8. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

I think some people, myself included think that if it was a toss-up between playing Cork, or playing someone else who saw his future with the club, then they would choose the other player rather than Cork (obviously the other player would need to be up to standard). That would then result in Cork either not getting first team game time, and seeing his contract out anyway, or looking for a move in this window so that he does play.
    Its not an anti-Cork campaign, its just that players tend to deliver more if they want to progress with the team so is common sense to try and move him on if he won't sign an extension.
    We have a strong defensive midfield presence in the squad so Cork does not stand out as a must play for me.
    schneiderlin probably wants to leave too, but his contract is longer so he has resale value plus he is awesome whereas Jack is not

9. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

We all like the millionaire footballers though. It's pretty much all we talk about on here. Unless there's something I missed in this thread nobody has said Cork is actually refusing to play, nobody has said whether the contract is a fair or good deal for Cork. From a management point of view, unless we are desperate, expecting 100% blood sweat and tears commitment from a player who is at the end of a contract and moving on is naieve. We can ask it but we wont likely get it. Mentally that's not going to happen. Hence, if Cork isn't staying, he gets to put his feet up in my team and Reed gets to run his little heart out and sweat blood for the team.

10. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Its been a very long 48 hours. Will be interesting to see what Ron has to say at tomorrows press conference.

11. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

See separate thread, sadly Corky has decided to move to Swansea
    Great shame but wish him luck