1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saints Stuff

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fran-MLs little camera, Oct 13, 2015.

1. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

One of the criticisms aimed at academies is their producing clones. Kids are over coached and told to play percentage football.

Le Tissiers natural football coaching was a supposed antidote to this, but one of the theories about why South American players still remain the best in the world is because they still have strong street football scene and players are more innovative with their skill sets. Whether that be pure skill (Messi) or more robust play (Suarez)

2. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Interesting. Les Reed talks about the operation being on the edge of the acquisition rules as the kids are not in our catchment area. I know that coastal teams have a special arrangement due to half of their catchment area being in the sea, but how are we infringing the rules.? As far back as the 1970's, SFC have had scouts in all parts of the UK, and these days we're worldwide. What's the essential difference.?

3. TheSecondStain

Yep, I've long thought this about academies. They will take a large amount of raw potential and turn out good quality footballers. The better ones will turn out better footballers. But more often than not, the geniuses don't come from academies. They are discovered first on the street and then get taken in. Hopefully, to NOT have their special skills coached out of them. Does Matty's coaching programme have any tie-in with SFC.?

4. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

I don't believe there is an official affiliation

5. TheSecondStain

OK cheers.

6. Saint Sosa

Saint Sosa Well-Known Member

Surprised that we're the only club doing this, I would have thought at least one of the London clubs would have some scouts watching street football.

7. TheSecondStain

Think I remember Cortese saying that English professional football clubs are generally a very conservative lot, from what he had gleaned in his time with dealing with Saints rivals. They don't tend to be innovative, instead being very traditional in their approach. Which kind of makes Saints a World away from most of them. Or at least a Continent.

8. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

If we are trampling over lower status clubs due to our catchment area, we could help balance this out by offering loans of youngsters to them which helps both parties

9. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to do a cost-benefit projection for this. Unless this operation costs millions, it simply needs to turn up one player to make it a sound investment. A local youth coach I know reckons he's had a few lads in his team who showed great potential, but in whom no-one showed interest. Always reckoned that, as good as he was, it was the Futcher link that made scouts come and watch Danny Murphy. No evidence, but if any of this is true, getting people watching unschooled kids and talking to people who work with them, is a great idea. Nice one, Saints.

10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Saints say that there is no need to contact them directly about a youngster because, if they play in our catchment area, we are already watching them. And will continue to keep an eye on them over the years (so don't just judge on one game). As I've mentioned an 8-yr-old lad I know has been taken up by Saints after they watched him for some time.

So Saints know you and are watching you whether you know it or not. Brilliant....or spooky.<laugh>

11. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I am making my third consecutive weekly outing tonight (hopefully - after two weeks running, my knees are just about holding together but one of my ankles is feeling like it is about to crumble), so I will make sure I scan the perimeter of the school fence to see if I can spot them watching. I hope they didn't watch the first week as I couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo that night. If you were watching Saints, please remember it was my first football for 5 years.... please.

*still dreaming*

12. craig222

craig222 Well-Known Member

Wow, we're really growing up. We've kicked the .co.uk and are now a .com. It brings a tear to the eye.

https://southamptonfc.com/

ChilcoSaint and Dark Lord SFC like this.
  13. fran-MLs little camera

Oooh...they've updated the OS.

14. fatletiss

I like that.

VVD likes this.
  15. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Notable: Live radio commentary of Saints games now to be broadcast for free, globally, on southamptonfc.com

16. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Big improvement....well done Saints
    Tannoy system at the ground next please

17. fatletiss

And good wifi access please :)

Libby likes this.
  18. BassettSaint

BassettSaint Active Member

I particularly like the 'Where should I sit at St Mary's?'

19. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

That was there on the old site.

The new website looks good, i might actually use it now!!!

20. fran-MLs little camera

https://www.clubcall.com/southampton/fonte-lets-saints-fans-in-on-contract-delay-1826523.html

Fonte talking about contract delay...seems like it hasn't got beyond the talks stage. I read before that the club want to pay him more, but not extend the contract as he will be 35 when the present contract ends. Now you know I am a little fond of Fonte:emoticon-0111-blush, but even I would stall on a contract extension. Needs to improve his consistency at the moment as we can't expect him to improve further with age.