1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saints Stuff

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fran-MLs little camera, Oct 13, 2015.

1. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

First of a few tit-bits I actually can share from last night... (more to follow in papers in next couple of weeks)

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Jose Fonte Baby, Jose Fonte oh oh!

Top Man. Top Skipper.

RSS likes this.
  3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I never believed that bit about Fonte....unless he was thrown out. Ron said that he was a real club man and he loves living here. Jose even remarked that his kids were English.

4. fatletiss

I'll translate this for people who don't speak Franish...

homer yippee.jpg

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  5. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

I'll give a bit more detail here, as José actually went to some length to explain the situation that led to that article.

When I asked him about these reports in Portugal he was very keen to answer and asked me to set the record straight. Other stuff is being held back but I'm fine to put this out there now. So here you go...

He was asked, by a Portuguese journalist, whether he come back to Portugal and which club would he most like to play for out of 'the big three' of Benfica, Porto and Sporting.

He remarked that he would never shut the door on returning home (would be daft to...) and said he couldn't pick one of the three as they're all great clubs and he already has connections with Benfica and Sporting due to his past.

The journalist then went away and wrote a story of 'Fonte eyeing move back to Portugal' and linked him with 'the big three'.

I could tell from the way he was speaking to me about it that he was quite annoyed and would appreciate it being put right.

He said he's very, very happy here. He loves the club, he is really happy with the manager, he's settled here and his young family are happy where they are living too. He said he feels at home and called this 'my club'. Says he feels a special bond and a lot of appreciation for Saints.

Said he would 'love' to finish his career in Southampton but he'd be foolish to shut too many doors because there's always a chance he falls out of favour here. But he said, as long as he was wanted and happy here, he doesn't envisage leaving before he retires.

As above, he's doing his coaching badges with Kelvin right now. He's very passionate about coaching and developing youth players and that ties in nicely with Saints. He'd like to follow Radhi's route and said he 'would really love to, definitely' manage Saints if the chance ever arose.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  6. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Wish I could give this more than one like :emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes::emoticon-0148-yes:

fatletiss likes this.
  7. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

That is amazing. What a guy. I think he would make for a good manager - he is a natural leader.

fatletiss likes this.
  8. fran-MLs little camera

Just watched the highlights again of our promotion game against Coventry....my eyes filled with tears again when the whistle went and everyone ran onto the pitch. Game had everything (except an SRL goal) including a Jos special (his eighth of the season) and one from Fonte (his 1st of the season and not the prettiest goal you will see :)). Great to see some of the old players again, though sad that many didn't last long in the EPL. As I missed the FA Cup, it was the greatest day of my footballing life.

fatletiss likes this.
  9. fran-MLs little camera

10. fatletiss

..."and a pen in one hand and a new contract in the other" would have been the perfect end to that quote.

11. fran-MLs little camera

Can't believe the headline I have just seen.....someone is actually discussing the players that Koeman should sign if he joins Arsenal:headbang:

12. Island Saint

Island Saint Well-Known Member

Surely you meant to say no hoopers :emoticon-0100-smile

13. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

So many assumptions there. So much fiction.

14. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

If I've just read the same article not only do Arsenal get Koeman but he takes VVD and Sadio with him :mad:
    Not going to happen. :emoticon-0145-shake

15. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

Thrilled to hear that Jose & Kelvin are taking their badges.

So many successful clubs are built upon that kind of culture. After all Southampton wouldn't be where it was today without Ted Bates, player, manager & chairman

TheSecondStain, Beddy, Libby and 2 others like this.
  16. TheSecondStain

The funny thing about the 'Jose to Portugal' rumour was that it seemed entirely feasible. It didn't seem like obvious fiction and I think most of us thought it would be a wonderful move for him eventually. But to read this just puts the icing on the cake of me about Jose. When he arrived he instantly became the best CB in the club, but he's got better and grown as a man as well. He's adopted Saints every bit as much as we've adopted him. Fran is obviously a very good judge of character. ;)

17. fatletiss

And it came with a link... :emoticon-0110-tongu

Schad likes this.
  18. fran-MLs little camera

Jose has a character<yikes>

19. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

I think we appreciate where your love of Jose starts, sweetie!

It was clear from very early on that Jose felt at home in Southampton. In the early days when he could be seen signing autographs post match it was obvious that we'd signed a very decent human being. He has grown with us. I doubted he'd make the transition to PL, and he's become one of the best in the league. If he left tomorrow he is already guaranteed legendary status. That he wants to continue to be at SFC is great news for all of us.

fatletiss likes this.
  20. TheSecondStain

Indeed it did. Just shows you that you can't even trust them.