1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Saints Summer 2017 Transfer Rumour Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Brixham Saint, Apr 27, 2017.

1. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

The ignorance.

Folks, its not hard to switch this to the music thread or someplace else, lets have some courtesy perhaps, and keep this to transfer news, even if there isn't much, it helps those not constantly on here to keep up to date...

Mods, I'd expect slightly better moderating tbh, I can understand a little off topic from time to time, but surely part of your valuable roles you provide are to avoid needless turdity...

2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

https://www.expressandstar.com/spor...es-chasing-southampton-striker-sam-gallagher/

Wolves said to be interested in having Gallagher on loan. What was said when he signed a new contract sounded like he was staying at Saints with a promise of game time, but perhaps a loan could be useful to him as he is competing with several strikers at St Marys. Other teams can always ask I suppose as they are not privy to our plans.

3. fran-MLs little camera

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  4. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

Saints have signed 16-year-old Enzo Robise on a four-year deal from Reims.

please log in to view this image

5. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Roughly translates to "Prepare for some underwhelming and disappointing signings" ... apparently, according to others.

6. fran-MLs little camera

And engage trust. The club have earned it....this season may be the time that we have to use it the most.

I don't think we were ever planning to spend on the large scale, but present prices make it even harder. As Mourinho said, in the past big prices were paid for big players, now big prices are being paid for good players. And we are down the scale from that.

I'm not raising my expectations too high this season...I'm expecting OK with a bit more entertainment, please.

7. fran-MLs little camera

A 16 yr old who doesn't know how to pose for selfies!!....don't cover your face, silly :)

8. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

As ever its patients if you want the best value.
    Everton/Man City have had to pay an extra premium to get their deals done early. Saints don't do this for better or worse, this is why our deals are usually concluded later in the window, when the selling club realize our bid was the best they were going to get all along.

9. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Or on the flip side, you face only having a matter of hours to sign left someone and you end up paying £35m for Carroll or £30m for Sissoko. The selling side know you are desperate.

Or you end not buying anyone at all (which is better than the above, at least).

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  10. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Have we signed anybody....oh forget it, I'd best go and break CBK out of the institution he currently resides in as he does this so much better than me :emoticon-0130-devil

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.

11. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Our model previously has been to sign in the £10m-£15m category.

The £15m-20m players of a few seasons ago are now closer to £30m... its difficult.

We're at a stage where we can't/won't attract the really good players in that bracket. We spread a big fee we receive over the squad. Remains to be seen if it's sustainable, but we banked £120m this season plus potentially £60m for VVD so i'd be expecting some good additions, but are we forced to shop in the lower bracket? Probably.

12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Genuine lol at "needless turdity".

13. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Shouldn't there be an r in that.

14. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

We've had enough patients, how about some fit players for a change? :emoticon-0105-wink:

15. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Oh, ok. I shall try to provide slightly better moderating from now on.
    As well as keeping an eye out for any turdity which is not absolutely necessary.:)

16. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Regarding the transfers or lack, of them, I have to trust Les and the board. There is obviously some uncertainty regarding the ownership and I am not surprised that we are not splashing the cash, we never do. But I am sure if a long term target becomes available then we would act. if we can hold on to our best players I will be intrigued to see what MP2 can get out of them. I am sure we will see more entertainment at home this season, with or without any additions.

17. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

That's music to our ears.

fatletiss likes this.
  18. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

I presumed they were paying less than the release clause and were including Veratti as part of the deal, but wasn't sure.

Still seems weird that Barca would have his release clause so low. Does anyone know what Messis is?

19. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

My trust is not on the same level after last summer's transfer window which was a bit underwhelming. We really need to buy a couple of players, and the clock is ticking. The squad is fine as it is, but in football if you don't move forward you're going backwards. The prime example is Chelsea under Mourinho; they won't the title, kept the same squad and didn't bring anyone of note and they crashed spectacularly the next season.

20. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Notice both your examples were when it was a Premier league side selling. The money in the premier league means two things: No club is poor so doesn't need to sell unless the offer is huge, and that all foreign clubs know we are rich so will ask for more.

So even though a foreign club may think £15m is a good deal for a player, they will try and make an English club pay £20m+. If we are patient then the selling club will most likely accept the £15m once they realise it won't get any better.