1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread SAINTS vs Crystal Palace - 3/3/15 - 7.45 K.O

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by AL., Mar 1, 2015.

1. AL.

AL. Well-Known Member

Well, if this goes tits up then blame FLT! I'm tempting those demons, after the Sheffield United thread I did before, but things can surely only get better for us at home.

So it's been a disappointing run of form for us, and most of the results have gone against us in terms of the race for the top 4, but we are still well placed to leapfrog Liverpool with a win (albeit possibly temporarily).

In truth, we just need a goal to kick start things again. 90% of our play is good, but we can't quite get that finishing touch at the moment, with our front men slightly lacking in confidence.

Palace have had an impressive resurgence under Pards, and have won their last 5 away games in all competitions, including an eye-catching 3-1 win over West Ham on Saturday. Their front players are bright, Bolasie, Zaha, and our former man Punch, looking as good as any attacking force at the moment.

Last six games (League):
    Saints (6th) - WLWDLL

Palace (12th) - WLWDLW

Referee: Martin Atkinson - The 'Matic-gate' referee, and an all round incompetent official. However, we do usually win with him in charge if my memory serves me correctly.

Team News:

Saints: No news of any fresh knocks from the weekend, and there is an expectation that Toby will return to the squad. Rodriguez still out.

Palace: Murray picked up two yellows on Saturday and will be banned for Tuesday's game. No news on any retrospective action being taken against Jedinak for his "accidental" elbow on Sakho. May hear more about that on Monday.
    *Chamakh and Campbell are also out*

My Saints XI:

-----------------------Forster-----------------------

-----------Yoshida --- Fonte---Alderweireld------------

Clyne----Davis----Schneiderlin----Wanyama----Bertrand

-----------------Pelle----------------Mane-----------------

Prediction: Saints 2-1 Palace - Finally some Saints goals!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

We can't keep not scoring ......so 2-0 home win with Shane starting and Pelle on the bench for his much needed rest especially with no game next weekend.

3. stjohnson

stjohnson Active Member

The team needs some luck , a goal of pelle's backside or something similar. I have 100 per cent confidence in Koeman and trust he will turn it around 3 points a must as Chelsea away is next....

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

2-0 win to Saints...despite AL doing the thread:emoticon-0101-sadsm

5. Saintsfan08

Saintsfan08 Well-Known Member

Start Shane Long up top with Pelle. Need some sort of a change up top.

6. AL.

AL. Well-Known Member

Apologies in advance Fran. Law of averages though....

7. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Palace have a striker shortage with murray Campbell chamakh all out

8. Saintsfan08

if the past few games are anything to go by it will not matter as someone will hit a screamer.

9. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Vin

10. Jose Fonte baby

Jose Fonte baby Well-Known Member

We've had one all season!

11. fran-MLs little camera

Perhaps we could lend Pelle to Palace. That would stop them scoring:rolleyes:

12. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Even if they were all available, I'd expect Gayle to start up there any way. Gayle, Zaha and Bolasie all looking to hit us on the counter could really work - as well as potentially being a defensive tactic to help them keep Clyne and Bertrand back at home.

Whether Palace are good enough to soak up our possession and pressure, I'm not sure (should they wish to go down that route, like most others have recently). But they certainly have the tools to hurt us on the counter when they get the ball.

13. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

No to 3 at the back. I don't believe it adds anything. Yes gives our FB licence to 'bomb foreward' but with Vic and Schneider we don't really need that. 2 good dms are enough for clyne and Bert to crack on. Also I think wany offers more going forward than an extra CB.

14. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

15. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Oh bloody great...Atkinson!
    Just what we want at the moment

16. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don't worry. He'll hopefully get injured and be replace by 4th official Roger East. It's not like Roger East has been in the news himself recently...

17. saintsfcfan

saintsfcfan Well-Known Member

Going to this game. Really really hoping for a win, i think that's all we want right now. I don't care if the goal comes from a brilliant volley or pelle slicing itin the wrong direction only for shane long to stumble, trip and clip the ball with his head as he hits the ground. Anything. Pleeeeeease.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  18. Saintsfan08

Thought the refereeing performance was impressive by both refs this weekend, if it was of the same standard the week before we would have gotten minimum one point but most likely 3. Can't remember any shockers Atkinson has made against Saints before ( I'm sure some on here can though ) but I am not a fan of his. Crazy when you pray that Clattenburg is reffing as he is far and above the best bar the fact he can be a bit of a homer but he isn't even that bad for that these days.

19. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

Not convinced about the 'Pelle needs a rest' theory anymore - the whole team had 10 days off not that long ago due to being out the Cup.

Feels like 1 goal is all that's needed to start the team scoring plenty again, but that they're now trying to force it too much.

20. fran-MLs little camera

I think it is a mental thing with Pelle...the longer it goes on, the worse his confidence is. He probably won't take chances as he fears missing, whereas when he was scoring he was willing to take shots. He may need the help of a sport psychologist...I'm sure we'll have one on call.